Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X4B is pretty solid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

X4B is pretty solid

ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

been using it for two months, very easy to build a globally accelerateed content delivery network with load balancing. My content is only http headers, which works great with the bandwidth based pricing model. Can't think of a better alternative.

Thanked by 1SplitIce

Comments

• pricey but yes solid, they also accept kangaroos as payment which is my preferred currency

• @SirFoxy said: kangaroos as payment

what about sisters?

Thanked by 1Doragon
  • @SirFoxy said:
    pricey but yes solid, they also accept kangaroos as payment which is my preferred currency

Just missing that kangaroo POP :(

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jahrinc said:

@SirFoxy said: kangaroos as payment

what about sisters?

My preferred currency is push-ups.

A few days ago I posted an offer priced in push-ups:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3187022#Comment_3187022
    However, the taker (from the other forum) selected the other payment method.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2021

Thank you @ericls this was a great suprise to start the official working year (haha, what are holidays again?) with.

It's been an interesting year full of ups and downs for us, but on the whole I'm very happy with what we have acheived this year and even more excited about whats coming up (lots of multi-year projects nearing completion).

There is much more coming in 2021 and although some of it is behind the scenes (e.g continued work towards UDP mitigation system v2 goals) and some of it will be more visible (expect to see more emphasis on custom mitigation rules, more "protocol ports" i.e game/application profiles, and even possibly improvements in rule crafting). As always I expect we I hope we will continue to exceed all expectations.

Also thank you to all our customers [here] for putting up with the couple blips over Christmas (if you noticed them). It was a busy season, at one point we peaked at 65 attacks in a single day (and few of them "common" / patterned) a couple of them did need some manual tweaking and creative solutions (always fun when most vendors, transits and IX staff are all remote/L1 only). I tried very hard not to hand out a nullroute for Christmas.

I'm certainly very glad we invested so much time into improvements this year, on the whole I think we handled the season reasonably well (and notes have been made to do even better in the future!).

For those curious - 2020 acheivement cliff notes (from memory):

• We nearly doubled our own forwarding capacity / complex mitigiation capacity and reached an agreement to do hardware upgrades in many more PoPs (2021) as our specific hardware becomes available

• Customer supplied custom Layer 4 mitigation rule language

• Large scalability improvements, allowing for us to re-allocate resources towards more advanced features like Layer 4 rules and specific application profiles.

• First stage if the UDP v2 upgrade (new anti-spoof mitigation module) rolled out (Anycast specific). 3 years in the making and receiving a very positive reception (next iteration planned by March).

• We broke our record for largest attack mitigated without need to nullroute (Standard Network over Christmas), many multiples of even our advertised Burstable thresholds.

• We upgraded our capacity in Singapore, it's now our largest PoP in Asia and not that much smaller than the smaller US PoPs (William at Profuse / Psychz deserves our thanks for making their growth that made that possible)

• Big improvements behind the scenes in unit tests (we now automatically unit test our firewall configs and modules!), tooling & architecture. All to help us acheive future goals quicker and safer (test! test! test!).

edited January 2021

@SirFoxy said: pricey but yes solid, they also accept kangaroos as payment which is my preferred currency

I do try and keep prices as low as possible. Unfortunately Anycast network operation is quite expensive at our scale. That being said I do hope one day to be able to do a small adjustment to the Standard Network bandwidth rates (specifically for larger users). Every year we push more and more bandwidth which does slowly push down our rate. Eventually that will allow us to push down bulk prices I'm hoping. Right now though it helps with expansion & software development.

I understand everyone has different budgets but hopefully there is something in the price list that suits. We do some $7 specials once or twice a year with limited bandwidth if that helps. None planned at the moment but hopefully soon.

@Gravely said: Just missing that kangaroo POP

It will happen eventually. Lots to comply with tax wise (i.e stop absorbing GST for local clients and implement proper GST support) and law wise (need to get advice regarding application of ISP metadata retention laws) down here. A strong AUD and weak USD combined with higher Paypal fees (7%) is not helping the business case either.

Rest assured however it's on our wishlist and that means it will happen when the time is right. If you happen to be or know a potential large customer in the region feel free to contact us and I'll see what I can do.

What is next however is more PoPs in Europe and possibly the missing North East US PoP. If we find the right locations, networks and pricing some more locations are on the cards for '21.

@yoursunny said: My preferred currency is push-ups.

Your exchange rate is worse than Paypals. At most $0.37 per pushup in value (I could probably do 3 before needing a long sleep) I would be better off working an hour at maccas mate.

edited January 2021

@SplitIce said:

Your exchange rate is worse than Paypals. At most $0.37 per pushup in value (I could probably do 3 before needing a long sleep) I would be better off working an hour at maccas mate.

There isn't an exchange rate between donation dollars and push-ups.
    The donation dollars amount is calculated from the prorated price of the product I'm transferring out.
    The push-ups amount is randomly/arbitrarily selected between 1 and 100.
    They are defined to be equivalent in this transaction only.

By not touching dollars directly, I can avoid PayPal fees.
    In case the transaction fails, which could occur if the taker's account gets rejected by the provider, I would refund in push-ups, regardless of how it was paid.

Last time I traded a Bluetooth speaker (priced at $30 elsewhere) for 77 push-ups.
    I received 45 so far. Some of them can be seen on https://pushups.ndn.today "my hackathon prize".

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@yoursunny said:

@jahrinc said:

@SirFoxy said: kangaroos as payment

what about sisters?

My preferred currency is push-ups.

A few days ago I posted an offer priced in push-ups:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3187022#Comment_3187022
    However, the taker (from the other forum) selected the other payment method.

wanna learn more about NDN

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@ericls said:
    wanna learn more about NDN

Named Data Networking executive summary:
    https://named-data.net/project/execsummary/

DDoS is much less effective in Named Data Networking:
    https://named-data.net/publications/2013icccn-dos/
    https://named-data.net/publications/ndn-ddos/

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2021

Deleted, stupid url on mobiles.

• alexgoldalexgold Member, Host Rep

@SplitIce said:

@SirFoxy said: pricey but yes solid, they also accept kangaroos as payment which is my preferred currency

I do try and keep prices as low as possible. Unfortunately Anycast network operation is quite expensive at our scale. That being said I do hope one day to be able to do a small adjustment to the Standard Network bandwidth rates (specifically for larger users). Every year we push more and more bandwidth which does slowly push down our rate. Eventually that will allow us to push down bulk prices I'm hoping. Right now though it helps with expansion & software development.

I understand everyone has different budgets but hopefully there is something in the price list that suits. We do some $7 specials once or twice a year with limited bandwidth if that helps. None planned at the moment but hopefully soon.

@Gravely said: Just missing that kangaroo POP

It will happen eventually. Lots to comply with tax wise (i.e stop absorbing GST for local clients and implement proper GST support) and law wise (need to get advice regarding application of ISP metadata retention laws) down here. A strong AUD and weak USD combined with higher Paypal fees (7%) is not helping the business case either.

Rest assured however it's on our wishlist and that means it will happen when the time is right. If you happen to be or know a potential large customer in the region feel free to contact us and I'll see what I can do.

What is next however is more PoPs in Europe and possibly the missing North East US PoP. If we find the right locations, networks and pricing some more locations are on the cards for '21.

Hi!
    Your site isn't working for Israeli clients.

Can you send me a traceroute or something describing your problem?