Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Looking to hire a dev to re-code LEB Theme
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Looking to hire a dev to re-code LEB Theme

jbilohjbiloh Administrator

Hi Everyone,

The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

For example in order to keep the current theme working properly in WP 5.6 I have to use jQuery Migrate Helper. Obviously that is not a long term solution. Other things tend to be broken too, like Social Sharing plugins, etc.

Anyone interesting, or know someone who might be, in coding up a new version of the LEB theme?

This would be a paid gig of course and I am open to negotiations.

Jon Biloh

Comments

• Hi,

I am interested. We can discuss timelines and your ideas via DM.

Thanks,
    Ramesh

Are you looking for some textual fun?

• lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

• RevivalTV - The best esports news in Indonesia | DT Server Status - My server uptime status

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Moderator

For LET support, please visit the support desk.

Wow, quite a saga - thanks for sharing.

• @raindog308 said:

Wow, quite a saga - thanks for sharing.

Thoroughly good read. That man has the patience of a thousand saints. I would have taken an additional payment to him and started hiring a PI at that point!

• @jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

You can start with a nice performant base theme too like GeneratePress :)

Thanked by 3_MS_ sepei nyamenk
    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited January 3

@eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

I was about to suggest this. But those who buy themes (from ThemeForest, etc.) may not even consider GeneratePress as a theme because how bare-bones it looks. It's definitely a great base theme, no doubt about that. The default layout of the theme comes with a total of less than 10 KB of minified CSS and JS.

• sepeisepei Member

@eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

What is your opinion on static site generators like hugo vs wordpress with full html cache? I know its a bit of topic but your opinion would be interesting for me especially because we are both performance optimists.

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited January 3

wow. I love to take this. I'm kinda busy right now though. :-) got active project.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

Thanks for everyone who has reached out to me. I'm considering the options now.

Jon Biloh
  • GanonkGanonk Member

i recomended @FAT32 <3

Thanked by 1Blestastore

don't forget to click Thanks

@Ganonk said:
    i recomended @FAT32 <3

Great suggestion! We are talking about it :).

Thanked by 2Ganonk Erisa
    Jon Biloh
  • @sepei said:

@eva2000 said:

What is your opinion on static site generators like hugo vs wordpress with full html cache? I know its a bit of topic but your opinion would be interesting for me especially because we are both performance optimists.

Use what you're comfortable with. For me Wordpress properly optimised for read-only blogs can be bloody fast :)

@MS said: GeneratePress as a theme because how bare-bones it looks. It's definitely a great base theme, no doubt about that. The default layout of the theme comes with a total of less than 10 KB of minified CSS and JS.

Exactly, why I like GeneratePress. I think any competent web designer could mark up GeneratePress theme - hopefully with page speed metrics in mind while they do it :)

Thanked by 2_MS_ chocolateshirt
    * Centmin Mod Project (HTTP/2 support + ngx_pagespeed + Nginx Lua + Vhost Stats)
    * Centmin Mod LEMP Stack Quick Install Guide
  • Jona4sJona4s Member

you girls want to keep building websites on wordpress

poor babies dont know what a programming language is

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@Jona4s said:

Time to break out object pascal baby.

Thanked by 1raindog308
    Jon Biloh
  • @Jona4s said:

I ditched WordPress in 2007, and switched to handwriting HTML.
    Since 2017 I write Markdown for content; all the Hexo / Jekyll themes were written from scratch.

By not using WordPress, I only need 1GB or smaller VPS to run websites.

Stay away from WordPress and use JAM stack

• @yoursunny said:

This.

Thanked by 1Blestastore
  • jsgjsg Member

@jbiloh said:
    Time to break out object pascal baby.

Great for desktop apps but much less so for the web (too little and too poor lib support). Also too hard for web "developers"...

But then anything is better than PHP aka vulnerability generator.

Thanks no.

• @yoursunny said:

@angelius said:
    This.

Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial).
    GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Common excuses of not using JAM stack include:

• We want a WYSIWYG editor - you can build a backend that integrates such an editor and pushes the content to git repository.
    • We hate GitHub / Netlify / Cloudflare - you can build the sites in Jenkins.
    • We want comments - you can insert Disqus, or build something similar.

I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

• I made a CMS that creates HTML pages upon save.
    • There's a WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE). It's HTML not Markdown. Server side ASP.Net has some filtering.
    • Content is stored in a folder of XML files. Every week I use FTP to download them to my laptop.
    • I made comments script using AJAX, with ASP.Net and MySQL backend.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080122040307/http://www.xinqing.sjtu.edu.cn/

"Jamstack is the new standard architecture for the web. "

LOL...how can they even say that with a straight face...

@yoursunny said: Common excuses of not using JAM stack include:

There's all sorts of ways to make web sites.

The anti-Wordpress comments miss the major points:

1. It's not the core functionality, it's all the integrations. Sure, any knowledgeable dev can figure out the Facebook, Twitter, etc. APIs and write code to share posts with them (as one example of an integration), but with Wordpress it's a single module that is well-tested by hundreds of thousands of users. What's the cost to gen all that by hand? Or to debug a module that is only used by 10 people?

2. When you want to add functionality, it's trivial in Wordpress. For example, earlier this year we added public previews so that people could see (and proofread) their offers before they went live. Again, yes, you could write custom code to do that...or you could use a module that's been tested by hundreds of thousands of people.

3. Not sure why everyone's on about the WYSIWYG module...you can do WP in plain old HTML, Markdown, WYSIWYG, whatever you want.

4. WAFs understand Wordpress better than they'll understand something you write from scratch.

5. There's an advantage to being one of million WP sites in terms of finding answers as well.

Long story short, it's ease of use vs. perfection. I wouldn't want to try to do Reddit using Wordpress...on the other hand, I wouldn't want to build Dave's Barber Shop's brochureware web site on Wordpress when WIX would likely do just fine.

You have to match the right tool for the right job instead of being doctrinaire.

And I forgot a big one:

1. There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.

• @yoursunny said: Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial). GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Please, please, kindly stop recommending these trash services (except Github Pages).

Have you ever dealt with them? I mean they don't have their own servers and on the first fake abuse message or just bandwidth overusage, they'll just shutdown you and they don't give a shit about your free plan until you pay.

@yoursunny said: I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

You're wrong. Honestly, you're mixing up JAMstack, creating HTML and serving it in 2017? Lol, you could do the same thing in 1989 with a simple bash script.

Anyways, does your HTML interacts with the API and has dynamic content?

I think you don't understand what is JAMstack and why it's being used.... have a read before trying to lie here.

Trying to be positive and friendly :)

• ouvounouvoun Member

@alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

I think you don't understand what is JAMstack and why it's being used.... have a read before trying to lie here.

Jeez we’re simply talking about differences in opinion on how to build a website, not a damn religious crusade. Let’s pipe it down a notch lol.

• @alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial). GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Please, please, kindly stop recommending these trash services (except Github Pages).

Have you ever dealt with them? I mean they don't have their own servers and on the first fake abuse message or just bandwidth overusage, they'll just shutdown you and they don't give a shit about your free plan until you pay.

Yes, I have websites on these services:

Netlify free plan has 100GB bandwidth per month.

You're wrong. Honestly, you're mixing up JAMstack, creating HTML and serving it in 2017? Lol, you could do the same thing in 1989 with a simple bash script.

Correction: I've been using JAM stack since 2007, before the term even exists.
    It's too late to edit the original comment…
    The Internet Archive link is from 2008.

Anyways, does your HTML interacts with the API and has dynamic content?

Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

@raindog308 said:
    "Jamstack is the new standard architecture for the web. "

Long story short, it's ease of use vs. perfection.

Truth, and I pick perfection.

1. There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.

Old pages get converted to static HTML (wget recursive, in the worst case) and never changed again.

• @yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Are you talking about Ajax's request that fetches comments? Just to confirm.

@yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Does the interaction go on the client-side only? Right?

• Having an experience working with both Wordpress & JAMstack sites for a while. I would like to share what I feel.

To compare WordPress & JAMstack is not an apples to apples comparison. Wordpress on one hand is a platform while JAMstack is a collection of tools. It is weird to compare the two. There is no Versus.

If you are a Pro developer it depends on your requirements and you evaluate the needs and outcomes but not everyone is a developer so there's that.

While JAMstack is great for achieving perfection, WordPress is a great platform for almost anyone (beginner or even someone with moderate or pro skills) to start a blog / website and have it up and running with just a few clicks. In my opinion many usecases require an easy to manage / use platform and WordPress.com or even self hosted version getting popular provides that which is a blessing for users.

• @alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Are you talking about Ajax's request that fetches comments? Just to confirm.

Does the interaction go on the client-side only? Right?

Yes, I have AJAX aka XmlHttpRequest. The comments API is a separate app on the same server.

• UnixfyUnixfy Member

@raindog308 said: You have to match the right tool for the right job instead of being doctrinaire.

And I forgot a big one:

There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.

On the other hand, there are lovely tools that allow you to use your WordPress (and other CMS) data in a JAMStack application. See Gridsome: https://gridsome.org/

It's dead simple to work with. Non-technical users can easily write content in WordPress, and it's published to a fast, extensible SPA. Best of both worlds :)

Visit my website || Add me on Discord: Unixfy#1337

• @yoursunny said:
    Yes, I have AJAX aka XmlHttpRequest. The comments API is a separate app on the same server.

Good, now it's clear that you're a little bit new to the JAMstack term and still doesn't know that JAMStack doesn't mean it's a static site at all.

Just sit down and have a read:
    https://css-tricks.com/5-myths-about-jamstack/
    https://jamstack.wtf/#dynamic-parts

and then come back arguing your site from 2007 is a JAMstack which fetches comments via Ajax that simply can't be correctly indexed by search engines.

• When I was a noob I would find another theme and change the css until it looked like the other one :O

• jsgjsg Member

I think, @raindog308 nailed it quite well. Wordpress may be a sh_tty software seen from a pro developers point, but it pretty much is what FrontPage was 15 years ago: The way to somehow put something like a website together and used by millions upon millions of people - which also means that it needs to and does address a certain low-skill clientele (not few of which consider themselves to be developers).

Second big point raindog308 got nicely right: it's the aeon old story of efforts vs need. The two extremes are (a) we need something going and our primary focus is content, and (b) we need something that is fast and/or secure and/or safe and/or multi-server or multi-location and/or low-latency and/or ...

The former must and will use some hip clickedy click solution and the latter have engineers figuring out an optimized solution.

And Wordpress is in between, a kind of Frontpage on steroids plus it makes many, many users feel safe because the software and modules are "tested" by large crowds and because humans are herd animals.

Thanks no.

• People feel safe running WordPress? It's a top zero day target that one should constantly be worried about. One should be a paranoid fuck to run WordPress, IMO.

My logs are filled with WP attacks and I don't run WP.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member
    edited January 9

@jsg said:
    it pretty much is what FrontPage was 15 years ago:

I wouldn't admit that my first webpage was made with Microsoft Word 97.

it's the aeon old story of efforts vs need. The two extremes are (a) we need something going and our primary focus is content, and (b) we need something that is fast and/or secure and/or safe and/or multi-server or multi-location and/or low-latency and/or ...

My blog has both. I write content in VS Code and rsync to the server.
    I only upgrade Hexo if a Node upgrade breaks it. I only touch the theme once a year to upgrade the syntax highlighter.

@TimboJones said:
    People feel safe running WordPress? It's a top zero day target that one should constantly be worried about. One should be a paranoid fuck to run WordPress, IMO.

What if you set IP limits to wp-login.php? Then nobody can get in unless you are in the office or enterprise VPN.

I only log 200 status code. Problem solved.

@jsg said:
    The former must and will use some hip clickedy click solution and the latter have engineers figuring out an optimized solution.

Same can be said for DirectAdmin Personal License and other "panels" (in single VPS, not shared hosting providers). I don't use any of them because it's pure overhead and additional security vulnerability.

• jsgjsg Member

@yoursunny said:
    I wouldn't admit that my first webpage was made with Microsoft Word 97.

I didn't read that ...

it's the aeon old story of efforts vs need. The two extremes are (a) we need something going and our primary focus is content, and (b) we need something that is fast and/or secure and/or safe and/or multi-server or multi-location and/or low-latency and/or ...

My blog has both. I write content in VS Code and rsync to the server.
    I only upgrade Hexo if a Node upgrade breaks it. I only touch the theme once a year to upgrade the syntax highlighter.

But then you are a guy who's different from most.

@TimboJones said:
    People feel safe running WordPress? It's a top zero day target that one should constantly be worried about. One should be a paranoid fuck to run WordPress, IMO.

What if you set IP limits to wp-login.php? Then nobody can get in unless you are in the office or enterprise VPN.

Hmmm, not really. For one I wouldn't bet on the premise that wp-login.php is the only way to get in, plus don't forget that most have a dynamic IP. And he definitely had a point with WP being a top target for hackzors, plus: making anything in PHP, let alone something where installations are cobbled together from plugins all over the place and from diverse origin.
    I use WP myself because I had to and I have invested a lot of work in making it safer (but certainly not safe). Short version: I hate it as much as many love it, I avoid plugins wherever feasible and I have a quite "interesting" installation that really tries to achieve some reasonable level of safety ... but I still hate it and consider even the safest, most professionally done WP sites (incl. mine, of course) a rather high security risk.

"log"?? What's that? And which log plugin is the coolest?

@jsg said:

Same can be said for DirectAdmin Personal License and other "panels" (in single VPS, not shared hosting providers). I don't use any of them because it's pure overhead and additional security vulnerability.

No surprise there, basically the same problem constellation. And of bloody course most of them panels have been done in PHP or, yuck, Perl, the only language that might be even worse and a more nightmarish trouble ticket generator than PHP.

Thanks no.

edited January 9

@jsg said:

@TimboJones said:

Hmmm, not really. For one I wouldn't bet on the premise that wp-login.php is the only way to get in, plus don't forget that most have a dynamic IP.

An office generally has fixed IP.

Otherwise:

• Install VPN on the server itself and limit IP to VPN subnet only.
    • Install VPN on another server and limit IP to that server only.

And he definitely had a point with WP being a top target for hackzors, plus: making anything in PHP, let alone something where installations are cobbled together from plugins all over the place and from diverse origin.

You are supposed to audit all WordPress plugins, WordPress itself, and PHP interpreter.
    Oh, don't forget to audit nginx, MySQL, GCC compiler, Linux kernel, Intel firmware...

I use WP myself because I had to and I have invested a lot of work in making it safer (but certainly not safe). Short version: I hate it as much as many love it, I avoid plugins wherever feasible and I have a quite "interesting" installation that really tries to achieve some reasonable level of safety ... but I still hate it and consider even the safest, most professionally done WP sites (incl. mine, of course) a rather high security risk.

#DeleteWordPress

I have logging in the frontend HTTP server.
    The plugin is FilterEncoder.

@jsg said:

No surprise there, basically the same problem constellation. And of bloody course most of them panels have been done in PHP or, yuck, Perl, the only language that might be even worse and a more nightmarish trouble ticket generator than PHP.

• #DeleteDirectAdmin
    • #DeleteWHMCS
    • #DeleteSolusVM
    • #DeleteVirtualizor

What's left?

• Go
    • C#
    • Java

These are all very secure enterprise grade languages.

• "Java
    These are all very secure enterprise grade languages."

Bruh..

Thanked by 1raindog308

hm. I've lost a machine.. literally lost. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

• jsgjsg Member

@yoursunny said:
    An office generally has fixed IP.

... or not, depending on many factors such a country, telecom, etc

Plus: it's not "the office" that admins the WP site, it's persons ... who tend to not be stationary.

And he definitely had a point with WP being a top target for hackzors, plus: making anything in PHP, let alone something where installations are cobbled together from plugins all over the place and from diverse origin.

You are supposed to audit all WordPress plugins, WordPress itself, and PHP interpreter.
    Oh, don't forget to audit nginx, MySQL, GCC compiler, Linux kernel, Intel firmware...

If one even can, and it would need an organisation of significant size. Such as e.g. universities (oh wait, sorry, they for some reason very rarely provide such a service, let alone for a whole lot of software) or linux (oh wait, sorry, they're more in the 'creating new bugs' business), ...

#DeleteWordPress

Nice tag and I'd like to support it ... but won't happen. Way too many sites and even companies based on it.

I have logging in the frontend HTTP server.
    The plugin is FilterEncoder.

Does it provide funny graphs and clickedy click stuff?

@jsg said:

• #DeleteDirectAdmin
    • #DeleteWHMCS
    • #DeleteSolusVM
    • #DeleteVirtualizor

You are right. But won't happen, see above for reasons.

What's left?

• Go
    • C#
    • Java

These are all very secure enterprise grade languages.

Nope. "Enterprise" yes, "secure" much less so.

And keep in mind who almost everywhere are the decision makers and what their priority is: efficiency (as in "how to create some software fast and cheap") and cost (and time and other variations of basically the same thing).

Plus, and I name just one example, facebook created "Hack", a less insecure PHP ... and hardly anyone outside of facebook uses it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Thanks no.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited January 10

Efficiency as in fast and cheap?

All you need is a phone.

Use termux, vim a file, write html markup.

Check the result on chrome at file:///sdcard/hello.html

SSH into a server, vim a main.go file, type 4 lines of code, like:

var x = "< html > hello< /html>"
    func main() {
    http.HandleFunc("/", func(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) { fmt.Fprintf(w, x) })
    http.ListenAndServe(":80", nil)
    }

Why do you ever need a graphical frontend to build a web?
    I've code entire SaaS applications from my phone while having sex.

You just dont want to admit that u are effeminate thats all.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
    edited January 10

@Jona4s said:

var x = "< html > hello< /html>"
    func main() {
    http.HandleFunc("/", func(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) { fmt.Fprintf(w, x) })
    http.ListenAndServe(":80", nil)
    }

fmt.Fprintf is too inefficient.
    You should use w.Write([]byte(x)).

Why do you ever need a graphical frontend to build a web?
    I've code entire SaaS applications from my phone while having sex.

I can code entire website with my toe while doing push-ups.

Thanked by 1Jona4s
  • @yoursunny said: I can code entire website with my toe while doing push-ups.

Btw do you have any push-ups deals?

Thanked by 1yoursunny

My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS

edited January 10

@skorupion said:

@yoursunny said: I can code entire website with my toe while doing push-ups.

Btw do you have any push-ups deals?

You came too late:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3187022#Comment_3187022

I sold a premium VPS for 19 push-ups.

• skorupionskorupion Member
    edited January 10

@yoursunny said: I sold a premium VPS for 19 push-ups.

Noooooooo, imma never get any of those flash deals
    Maybe you could sneak something in for me 😉

Thanked by 1yoursunny

My Blog rafalblog.xyz
    Contabo GmbH insanely cheap VPS

• I think should consider switching to Discourse or Flarum.

• @xiaopigu said:
    I think should consider switching to Discourse or Flarum.

If it's not Vanilla, then it's not LET.

Thanked by 2yoursunny raindog308
  • @lokuzard said:

@xiaopigu said:
    I think should consider switching to Discourse or Flarum.

If it's not Vanilla, then it's not LET.

Why?

Is there any specific reason why it must be Vanilla?

• thedpthedp Member

Switch to phpBB for more attention :joy:

Thanked by 1yoursunny

Tech/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale!

• @jbiloh Switch to Discourse Please :) More secure and stable

• isnt easier to find someone on fiverr