Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why bandwidth is so cheap at Hetzner?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why bandwidth is so cheap at Hetzner?

İ see some dedicated server offers here and even hardware is dedicated, network is still shared sometimes. And if you want more bandwidth, provider says "you need to increase budget"

But Hetzner provides 1gbit dedicated unlimited bandwidth with every dedicated server. Even cheapest vps servers has 20TB bandwidth which more than some 80$ dedicated server here.

How does they do that? İ mean what's the catch here?

Comments

• They work for passion. :D

• Read their ToS. It is possivle that they would contact you if your bw would originate in torrent, tor or commercial cdn world. But for casual pushup enthusiast the deals arw good.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @LTniger said:
    Read their ToS. It is possivle that they would contact you if your bw would originate in torrent, tor or commercial cdn world. But for casual pushup enthusiast the deals arw good.

İ could't find anything about CDN. Can you share link?

• @uzaysan said: İ could't find anything about CDN

Me neither.

Regarding the question: it's also a factor of scale. Hetzner is having a pb network, while others work in scale of gb. Same with e.g. CF or OVH.

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited January 2021

@OhJohn said:

Me neither.

>
    İ guess it's not true. Because when you exceed bandwidth limit(on cloud) they charge you 1€ for extra 1TB bandwidth. Which means you are allowed to use bandwidth as much as you want.

@OhJohn said:
    Regarding the question: it's also a factor of scale. Hetzner is having a pb network, while others work in scale of gb. Same with e.g. CF or OVH.

Yes. Very possible. Also i think 90% of costumers never exceed few TB. But still you can push 330TB per month on simple box if you want. Cheap.

• I believe Hetzner only meter outbound bandwidth

• Is the connection across Europe cheap? Unlike asian providers

• Because Hetzner is Hetzner

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Huge scale and that most people don't use more than say 10TB.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:
    for casual pushup enthusiast

I don't have enough push-ups to require a Hetzner dedicated machine.
    Moreover, the global Named Data Networking network has content caching feature.
    If I only have a handful of videos, even if many are watching it, the bandwidth consumption at my repository servers would remain constant.

Most of the bandwidth would be consumed at NDN routers.
    Nevertheless, most routers are located in universities and they don't pay bandwidth fees.

A few years ago, a bad packet triggered a software bug that caused a broadcast storm within NDN overlay network.
    My end host in Virmach consumed about 5GB bandwidth in an hour (along with high CPU), before I noticed and turned it off; I didn't get a warning from Virmach though.
    The broadcast storm lasted 2 days, and I wonder how much bandwidth fees were charged to a NDN router deployed in AWS Mumbai...

Thanked by 1Levi
  • eriseris Member
    edited January 2021

Hetzner does not provide you with an 1 gbps unmerterd connection. It seems they have changed it...

*Traffic usage is unlimited and free of charge.
    Please note that our unlimited traffic policy does not apply to servers that have the 10G uplink addon. In this special case, we will charge the usage over 20TB with € 1.21/TB. (The basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated.) There is no bandwidth limitation.

• @eris said:
    Hetzner does not provide you with an 1 gbps unmerterd connection.

Its up to 20 TB and you got the option pay 1,29 euro / tb or the will turn it an 100mbit with unlimited traffic.

https://www.hetzner.com/news/traffic-limit

• @eris said:
    Hetzner does not provide you with an 1 gbps unmerterd connection. It seems they have changed it...

*Traffic usage is unlimited and free of charge.
    Please note that our unlimited traffic policy does not apply to servers that have the 10G uplink addon. In this special case, we will charge the usage over 20TB with € 1.21/TB. (The basis for calculation is for outgoing traffic only. Incoming and internal traffic is not calculated.) There is no bandwidth limitation.

This only valid if you switch connection to 10gbit. İf you have 1gbit, it's unlimited