Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for box with high-ish ram and storage, low-ish cpu and network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for box with high-ish ram and storage, low-ish cpu and network

Considering a VPS or mini pc for a project ~ 3 yrs.

CPU - low requirements. 1-2 shared cores would be fine
RAM - at least 12 GB. 16GB would be better
Storage - ideally 1 TB SSD/NVME. I expect to need significant iops
Network - static IPv4, 100Mbps, 3TB /mth
Host and network uptime - it's a lowendbox but should be up close to 100%, so would like proven hosts
Location - really doesn't matter.

Naturally this wouldn't be $7/mth, but I'm price sensitive. So far, I'm looking at contabo M or L vps and would appreciate other suggestions... Or even comments if contabo reliability isn't quite there? Or perhaps just rig up a mini pc, UPS and run it in my basement for 3 years...

Comments

• I am quite happy with my Contabo VPS S SSD, just make sure to ask them to remove the SSD write speed restriction. It's very good for the price, but it's still not NVME SSD fast though.

• 1 TB NVMe for $7 a month? lol. Good luck.

Thanked by 1dosai
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2020

The OP expectation is too high, shop around for NVME drive, so you will get idea of cost and be able to adjust budget. Try budget OVH servers: https://us.ovhcloud.com/bare-metal/rise/rise-1/

• @marvel said:
    1 TB NVMe for $7 a month? lol. Good luck.

And the @OP did say "Naturally this wouldn't be $7/mth" so he recognizes it won't be $7.

• Hetzner Cloud with added block storage volume? I think for the amount of disk you need on SSD/NVMe it'd probably be cheaper to get a low end Dedi with an E3 CPU.

• Have a nice 2021 Man !but please be realistik ... 1tb nvme ....

• uzaysanuzaysan Member
    edited December 2020

@WSCallum said:
    Hetzner Cloud with added block storage volume? I think for the amount of disk you need on SSD/NVMe it'd probably be cheaper to get a low end Dedi with an E3 CPU.

Hetzner block storage isn't fast as default storage. İt's speed is similar to SATA2 ssd. Which is around 300mb/s

• Depends on the application, but sounds like if you don't need public IPV4 access from the outside world, running it in your basement would give you much more performance for roughly same cost over 3 years.

If you already had spare hardware, throw in a $100 1TB NVMe and $80 worth of RAM and you're done.

• Thanks all for your comments! Can't seem to edit my OP, so would like to clarify:

• I need higher iops than HDD with lots of tiny random writes. SSD or NVME would be fine
    • Naturally I'm expecting to pay more than $7 for this
    • My app does need public IPv4 to and from outside world, and it needs near 100% uptime. Things start to go wrong if it loses 15s of connectivity, and if the whole box falls, it would take a few days to recover.

Most places don't offer 12GB or more RAM without scaling the CPU or direct storage to expensive amounts. Eg, if buyvm offered 1/4 CPU, 12GB RAM, 20GB SSD, 1TB block storage slab, I'd be all over it.

I actually don't know how contabo manages to price their vps. 15 eur / 18.5 usd for 30GB RAM and 800GB SSD. Does anyone else offer similar?

• @lowendbrowser They have their own datacenter, hardwares and they oversell like crazy. That's how.

hostika.lt
    serveroffer.lt

These are also examples of lots of ram at cheap price.

• The closest thing that match your req with realistic price is Netcup RS 4000 G9. 6 core, 32GB RAM, 800GB SSD for 29.00€