Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Slabs arrive in Luxembourg! Ryzen! Free Snapshots! Free routed /48, & IP load balancing oh my!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said: Also don't see why consumers would justify such a thing?

We send emails 10 days in advanced of it being due, and then give 6 additional days to pay.

It goes like this:

• On the 20th/21st of the month you get the following months invoice generated
    • On the 1st of the new month your service is officially due (almost always)
    • On the 4th your service gets suspended
    • On the 7th you get terminated

We're taking that 7th back to the 6th. This is literally 16 days of time for you to decide if you want to keep the service, and ultimately pay for it. there's 2 whole days in there where the service is dead in the water suspended.

We see very very few people coming in on the 7th of the month to pay their bills. So few we'd rather gain the extra sales day per month. Really, that extra day is almost never a problem. The only time we see people complain even now is when it's the 15th or 20th of the month and they go 'why is my service terminated?'. Should we hold onto services for 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Why should we commit capacity to that?

If it's a problem, don't hesitate to ask in ticket and we'll work to adjust your due date by 1 day to buy you that added time.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @Francisco said:

We send emails 10 days in advanced of it being due, and then give 6 additional days to pay.

It goes like this:

We're taking that 7th back to the 6th. This is literally 16 days of time for you to decide if you want to keep the service, and ultimately pay for it. there's 2 whole days in there where the service is dead in the water suspended.

We see very very few people coming in on the 7th of the month to pay their bills. So few we'd rather gain the extra sales day per month. Really, that extra day is almost never a problem. The only time we see people complain even now is when it's the 15th or 20th of the month and they go 'why is my service terminated?'. Should we hold onto services for 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Why should we commit capacity to that?

If it's a problem, don't hesitate to ask in ticket and we'll work to adjust your due date by 1 day to buy you that added time.

Francisco

You dont get it. This whole thing is a big mental burden. Life doesnt happen as per the dates decided by @Francisco . I say make the due date 10 days before and suspend services. Pick a date you want. Take 1 month more in advance. Its deleting data however is extreme af and a big red flag for me.

Sure you send invoice and reminders but I get 100-200 emails per day. A 1000 things can go wrong. If its a matter of capacity etc, then just add the cost of your avg spare capacity you need to keep, to the monthly cost. No one has an issue paying afaik.

But this deleting data thing seriously rubs the wrong way.

@partymonger said: But this deleting data thing seriously rubs the wrong way.

So we should raise everyone elses prices because a handful of people can't get off their butts and pay their invoices that came in 2 weeks ago?

Read my timelines again. You're given 16 days to pay your invoice. Your service is fully suspended for 2 - 3 days already.

You're welcome to enroll into backups. Backups get held for up to a week after a termination happens.

Francisco

• notarobonotarobo Member
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

It goes like this:

Francisco

You dont get it. This whole thing is a big mental burden. Life doesnt happen as per the dates decided by @Francisco . I say make the due date 10 days before and suspend services. Pick a date you want. Take 1 month more in advance. Its deleting data however is extreme af and a big red flag for me.

Sure you send invoice and reminders but I get 100-200 emails per day. A 1000 things can go wrong. If its a matter of capacity etc, then just add the cost of your avg spare capacity you need to keep, to the monthly cost. No one has an issue paying afaik.

pay a year in advance or hire a secretary or get a VPS backup storage maybe in OVH or something but then you will have another email to miss on.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur dedicados
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

It goes like this:

Francisco

Just have an offsite backup. If you don't want to setup an offsite backup then that's your problem. Or setup auto-renewal. If you still dont understant and its a burden to your life then dont make it a burden to the provider and us other customer. Move forward or move to others who will take considerations for you. I think you can add funds in buyvm. So you can deposit one month advanced just in case you get sick. So what else?

Thanked by 2bulbasaur that_guy

@cazrz said: I think you can add funds in buyvm. So you can deposit one month advanced just in case you get sick. So what else?

Yes sir. I literally retrofitted the WHMCS Add Funds option the other week just to bring it back.

It works very well.

Francisco

• 0 Available

• @partymonger said: You dont get it. This whole thing is a big mental burden.

So you don't read your email and don't pay your bills on time because it's a big mental burden. You sound like a great customer.

• Deal Fran :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said: You dont get it. This whole thing is a big mental burden. Life doesnt happen as per the dates decided by @Francisco . I say make the due date 10 days before and suspend services. Pick a date you want. Take 1 month more in advance. Its deleting data however is extreme af and a big red flag for me.

Who is gonna pay for the unpaid storage for keeping data on abandoned vps? Do you know how many people just let their servers to sink after the due date? Why a provider should take care on your own data keeping unpaid resources on his valuable servers? How much profit gain on plans of 5-10$ per month do you think a server has that allows a provider to reserve plenty of resources just because you are denying to fulfill your own emergency plan?
    If you really care about your server, then it is YOUR obligation to have disaster plans. If entering to a hospital or not having internet access is a possibility for you, then, add those possibilities in your disaster plan, just like backups, redundancy etc.
    How to do that? Pay in advance on yearly plans, keep frequent offsite and offline backups, hire a technician/administrator/company to handle your service to reduce downtime/loss possibility.
    The only thing is unreasonable and really stupid to ask, is demanding to take the responsibility for keeping your data in case of an emergency the hosting provider.
    And the only "red flag" here for any provider is just you and your kind of clients. You want the sun paying peanuts, you cannot afford a real redundancy scenario and usually you are incapable to have a real disaster plan with several backups etc.

@partymonger said: Sure you send invoice and reminders but I get 100-200 emails per day. A 1000 things can go wrong. If its a matter of capacity etc, then just add the cost of your avg spare capacity you need to keep, to the monthly cost. No one has an issue paying afaik.

No, if it's a matter of security on the existence of your data, then you just deposit more money to paypal/cc and set automatic payments to avoid termination. Don't try to pass your responsibilities to others or (!!!) ask them to increase their prices just to add more space for the lazy or unable to handle a service!

• @partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

It goes like this:

Francisco

1) If your data is important, you should keep offsite backup. This has been said millions of times in the past.

2) Sign up with automated payments (Paypal, credit card etc).

3) If you can't do automated payment, deposit funds ahead of time.

4) If you don't want to pay the provider ahead of time or extra upfront, don't expect them to hold on to your service for longer than the payment period. Any extension more than the due date is given as courtesy. It is still a waste of resource, specially when inventory isn't easy to keep (in BuyVM case). So unless you are paying double the amount, it makes 0 financial sense to keep your service active while there's a line of customers waiting to pay for it today.

5) If life happens, pop in a ticket.

7) Keep offsite backup. Even if God is your webhost, keep a backup copy with the Devil.

Thanked by 2that_guy gapper
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited April 2021

@seriesn said:

@partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

It goes like this:

Francisco

1) If your data is important, you should keep offsite backup. This has been said millions of times in the past.

4) If you don't want to pay the provider ahead of time or extra upfront, don't expect them to hold on to your service for longer than the payment period. Any extension more than the due date is given as courtesy. It is still a waste of resource, specially when inventory isn't easy to keep (in BuyVM case). So unless you are paying double the amount, it makes 0 financial sense to keep your service active while there's a line of customers waiting to pay for it today.

7) Keep offsite backup. Even if God is your webhost, keep a backup copy with the Devil.

6) Learn to count

• @Francisco said:
    Yes sir. I literally retrofitted the WHMCS Add Funds option the other week just to bring it back.

It works very well.

Francisco

THANKS!! I didn't like the "open ticket to add funds" at all :-)

• @Shot2 said:

@seriesn said:

@partymonger said:

@Francisco said:

It goes like this:

Francisco

6) Learn to count

Someone paid attention. It always works :lol:

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • donkodonko Member

@partymonger said: What if we get covid and stay in the hospital for 10 days? What if my internet is down?

Add funds, i have almost 6 months paid in advance with credits.

Or if you are not premier, then setup a paypal subscription :)

• vedranvedran Veteran

@severalpeople said:
    then setup a paypal subscription

I've setup a PayPal billing agreement which is supposed to work automatically, but never did for me. I still have to login to their client portal and click the button every month. My services were suspended twice due to this. After 2 tickets it was never resolved and I just gave up.

tl;dr don't rely on automatic payments as things can go wrong.

edited April 2021

@risturiz said: THANKS!! I didn't like the "open ticket to add funds" at all :-)

:)

@donko said:
    Add funds, i have almost 6 months paid in advance with credits.

Or if you are not premier, then setup a paypal subscription

:) I know people hated doing that so getting it to play nice was a big +1 for me.

@vedran said: I've setup a PayPal billing agreement which is supposed to work automatically, but never did for me. I still have to login to their client portal and click the button every month. My services were suspended twice due to this. After 2 tickets it was never resolved and I just gave up.

Even to this day?

We moved away from the weworks billing agreements module to our own and it works very well. If there's still some random cases like that, I'll chock it up to WHMCS not triggering the renewal.

Karen has a report that she goes through to push CC's that don't get a captured (WHMCS simply ignores them).

Francisco

• @Andrey11 said:
    0 Available

Check again! Lots of stock was just added to the US locations today. God willing, GTT will get moving in Lux so there'll be more stock there soon, too.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Even to this day?

Yes, had to click again this month because I had an overdue invoice.
    I'm sure you'd fix it if I pushed it further, but really it's just a minor inconvenience

• @vedran said:

@severalpeople said:
    then setup a paypal subscription

I've setup a PayPal billing agreement which is supposed to work automatically, but never did for me. I still have to login to their client portal and click the button every month. My services were suspended twice due to this. After 2 tickets it was never resolved and I just gave up.

tl;dr don't rely on automatic payments as things can go wrong.

lol now Imagine this happens and due to a technical issue all your data is gone. People here seem to not understand how final removal of data is.

• Ok so as much as I like @Francisco and his services, I think this forum is filled with fanboys who don't want to hear anything thats not their view. I'll just migrate over time to somewhere that's a little less Hunger Games-ish.

Im sure @Francisco will becoming the next Elon musk by saving on few cents worth of storage that he is able to save by doing this.

As for the replies -
    1) When I said mental burden, I meant deleting of data. Guess no one here knows how anxiety works. I dont want to check 5 times a month if my 5$ vps has conked off with all the data.

2) Someone mentioned offsite backup. It would be much easier if Buyvm just takes a deposit/charge upfront for the cost of the storage it takes to keep the data for a few months. Give people the option. It seems no one here understands that I dont want a free lunch, I just want the data safe in any eventuality. If it costs him, he can give people the option and charge for it upfront to those who want it. But how do you explain it to fanbois?

I dont think anyone serious about their work will continue if there is a risk to their data. It just seems like a really bad move to me. Even if I have offsite backups, restoring and making everything works takes days if not weeks.

As for paying upfront, I dont remember seeing that option. Another issue is that when the credit is finished, and a year later you're not in the habit of payment, mail goes to junk mail or a 100 different things that can happen.

• sliixsliix Member
    edited April 2021

When you finally got the chance to order vps from buyvm,
    but somehow you forgot that you are connected to vpn,
    and the order marked as fraud...

sadlife.jpg

Created a support ticket. Hopefully you can have a look. Thanks.

• @partymonger said:
    Ok so as much as I like @Francisco and his services, I think this forum is filled with fanboys who don't want to hear anything thats not their view. I'll just migrate over time to somewhere that's a little less Hunger Games-ish.

Im sure @Francisco will becoming the next Elon musk by saving on few cents worth of storage that he is able to save by doing this.

As for the replies -
    1) When I said mental burden, I meant deleting of data. Guess no one here knows how anxiety works. I dont want to check 5 times a month if my 5$ vps has conked off with all the data.

2) Someone mentioned offsite backup. It would be much easier if Buyvm just takes a deposit/charge upfront for the cost of the storage it takes to keep the data for a few months. Give people the option. It seems no one here understands that I dont want a free lunch, I just want the data safe in any eventuality. If it costs him, he can give people the option and charge for it upfront to those who want it. But how do you explain it to fanbois?

I dont think anyone serious about their work will continue if there is a risk to their data. It just seems like a really bad move to me. Even if I have offsite backups, restoring and making everything works takes days if not weeks.

As for paying upfront, I dont remember seeing that option. Another issue is that when the credit is finished, and a year later you're not in the habit of payment, mail goes to junk mail or a 100 different things that can happen.

You keep mentioning risk to data but there would be no risk to data if bills were paid on time. The fact is that there are plenty of options in place to pay your bills automatically and failing to do so results in service termination 7 days after the due date, this is an incredibly common practise among the vast majority of providers. Sure, you'll find some who allow longer before termination but this ultimately has an affect on their price - While your service is suspended and not being paid for, that hardware cannot be allocated to other customers, IE lost sales. I have to say that on personal experience, 90% of customers who leave their service to go overdue for more than 4/5 days don't renew.

You're blowing it way out of proportion for something that is realistically your own doing, looking for someone else to blame while not just sitting back and thinking "actually, if I paid my bills on time I wouldn't be in this mess" - Regardless if your data was THAT important as you're making out, why would you let it go suspended for several days, let alone get terminated?

Madness.

• @WSCallum said:

@partymonger said:
    Ok so as much as I like @Francisco and his services, I think this forum is filled with fanboys who don't want to hear anything thats not their view. I'll just migrate over time to somewhere that's a little less Hunger Games-ish.

As for the replies -

You keep mentioning risk to data but there would be no risk to data if bills were paid on time. The fact is that there are plenty of options in place to pay your bills automatically and failing to do so results in service termination 7 days after the due date, this is an incredibly common practise among the vast majority of providers. Sure, you'll find some who allow longer before termination but this ultimately has an affect on their price - While your service is suspended and not being paid for, that hardware cannot be allocated to other customers, IE lost sales. I have to say that on personal experience, 90% of customers who leave their service to go overdue for more than 4/5 days don't renew.

You're blowing it way out of proportion for something that is realistically your own doing, looking for someone else to blame while not just sitting back and thinking "actually, if I paid my bills on time I wouldn't be in this mess" - Regardless if your data was THAT important as you're making out, why would you let it go suspended for several days, let alone get terminated?

Madness.

You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored. FFS. Some of you have not worked months on a site and have it go down, and backups being so janky that it took weeks to just restore them, and it shows.

Fanbois. dont understand that Im talking of an eventuality, when some shit happens that you cant predict that causes you to not pay. If you live in India like me, you would know bank accounts can be freezed anytime for something as simple as KYC, that the bank forgot to message you about, but since auditors are there, they have to suspend your account. Now KYC system has moved to a National ID system, where for some reason your number 5 yrs ago was entered wrong. Now to correct that takes 30-45 days. And then you can do your KYC.

Please come live in India and you will be reminded of how just hard everyday life can get just cause of a random stroke of bad luck. To come back from that and see that your work is gone now cause, is something I intend to account for.

• @partymonger said:

@WSCallum said:

@partymonger said:

As for the replies -

Madness.

You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored. FFS. Some of you have not worked months on a site and have it go down, and backups being so janky that it took weeks to just restore them, and it shows.

Fanbois. dont understand that Im talking of an eventuality, when some shit happens that you cant predict that causes you to not pay. If you live in India like me, you would know bank accounts can be freezed anytime for something as simple as KYC, that the bank forgot to message you about, but since auditors are there, they have to suspend your account. Now KYC system has moved to a National ID system, where for some reason your number 5 yrs ago was entered wrong. Now to correct that takes 30-45 days. And then you can do your KYC.

Please come live in India and you will be reminded of how just hard everyday life can get just cause of a random stroke of bad luck. To come back from that and see that your work is gone now cause, is something I intend to account for.

Francisco already offered that with his automatic backup option and said it'd be an extra 7 days stored, right?

Sounds to me like you need to fix/improve your method of taking backups, rather than lying the blame on everyone elses shoulders.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2021

@partymonger said: You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored.

I'm not sure that there's any provider who offers a paid option to store one's data in the event that one stops paying for the VPS, so you may have a long, hard search ahead of you.

If I recall well, one can pay yearly at BuyVM, so why not pay yearly in order to reduce the burden of having to pay each month? Apparently, you can also add funds to your account to cover bills in advance.

In any case, ultimately, you're responsible for paying your bills on time -- in this respect, we're all in the same boat.

• @partymonger said: You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored.

Well, actually you were asking him to not delete your data in case you decided not to pay because of "reasons".

If your data is so important to you, why are you focussing on just one provider to rely on? You should just use the VM that performs best for you (regardless of their cancellation policy) and make both an online and an offline backup.

And pay in time.

@angstrom said: I'm not sure that there's any provider who offers a paid option to store one's data in the event that one stops paying for the VPS, so you may have a long, hard search ahead of you.

If a user is opt'd into backups, then those backups won't age out of the system for up to 7 days.

So technically he could not pay, get cancelled, show up on the 8th freaking out, and we should be able to restore just fine.

Hell, we don't aren't even pruning snapshots at the moment, even if a user has no active services. He could snap his VM, disappear for 3 months, return and restore from that and be on his way.

Francisco

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2021

Snapshot is way to go with buyvm for missing dates..

But, yes, in India anything can happen.. (rest deleted.. )

• partymongerpartymonger Member
    edited April 2021

Im baffled by how few people see the point here, including the owner. Yes, I'll be moving my data eventually.

@angstrom said:

@partymonger said: You keep forgetting that I'm only asking him for a PAID option so that the data is stored.

I'm not sure that there's any provider who offers a paid option to store one's data in the event that one stops paying for the VPS, so you may have a long, hard search ahead of you.

If I recall well, one can pay yearly at BuyVM, so why not pay yearly in order to reduce the burden of having to pay each month? Apparently, you can also add funds to your account to cover bills in advance.

In any case, ultimately, you're responsible for paying your bills on time -- in this respect, we're all in the same boat.

Literally the first random provider with good reviews that I came across -Vultr lets my balance go in negative if there is some payment issue at bank without suspending my services. My old card bank had some issue and inspite of having more than 5000$ due to a change in bank policy, they just stopped foreign payments. I went to a new bank, got new a/c card by post in 15 days. And added more balance on the first day I got it and enabled foreign payments (takes 24-48 hrs). I think in all they emailed me once in the 15-20 days it took to sort it out.

They also auto deduct from my Paypal, rather than me having to click the link every month and using the otp like with buyvm. It also lets me store full snapshots without paying. I have about 5-6 backup snapshots and a few more old machine snapshots of last 3-4 yrs without paying for them.

I think the benchmark for BuyVM is worse providers and not the best in the business. I'm tired of replying to fanboys. I need to know that i'm with a more compassionate provider who will not erase my business for some reason beyond my control. I might never have to bank on their compassion cause im fairly prompt with payments, but I sleep better knowing they go easy. Sure I will have a better backup system and all that yada yada.

If its about money we all know BuyVM can provision 50 new servers today and they will sell like hot cakes in a few days. This seems to be about intentionally fcuking people for slipping up in payments. Like how dare you, here your data has gone POOF now. Too bad you couldnt pay up early. What next, break up someone's legs?

You could compare to multiple good providers, but apparently the bar is pretty low here and we like to race with the meanest aholes in the business. Empathy does not seem to be on the cards. I wish ya'll best. Will also make sure I find more compassionate providers and push their services. Not everything is about making a buck and cut throat policies.