Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am somewhat confused about hosting pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I am somewhat confused about hosting pricing

The pricing sounds a little confused. for example, I am the user of both Nexusbytes and PacificRack. from my little system experience, both are fine. I am just satisfied with both.

For Nexus I paid 24 USD/y for a 512MB/1 core/10g-disk VPS. and for Pacific I paid 22 USD/y to get a 2GB/2core/40g-disk VPS. The latter is much higher in hardware conditions than the former, though their price are almost the same.

So pricing is a confused problem to me for hosing industry. For now I am not sure when or where to choose a right VPS.

Any ideas? thanks.

Comments

• It's just what the providers offer. It's up to you if you prefer the quality of Nexus or Pacific.

It's the same with shared hosting, you get what you pay for. For just an example one server could be overloaded but the higher price is not overloaded.

It could be the server spec differences or what is included in the price.

• Can't really compare NexusBytes with PacificRacks.

If you run a benchmark, you will know. The single-core score of the former is like 4 to 5 times to that of the latter. And the I/O speed as well. Their use of hardware are totally different.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against PacificRacks as I have yet to personally try their service. I learned about them by Goggling online and you will find a lot of information. Nonetheless, they are a sub-com of Qudranet so they should be financially stable and won't deadpool.

It is just unfair to compare both. Guess you won't compare Camry with Carerra GT? Both are intended for different markets.

Thanked by 1jpeng
  • @jpeng said:
    The pricing sounds a little confused. for example, I am the user of both Nexusbytes and PacificRack. from my little system experience, both are fine. I am just satisfied with both.

For Nexus I paid 24 USD/y for a 512MB/1 core/10g-disk VPS. and for Pacific I paid 22 USD/y to get a 2GB/2core/40g-disk VPS. The latter is much higher in hardware conditions than the former, though their price are almost the same.

So pricing is a confused problem to me for hosing industry. For now I am not sure when or where to choose a right VPS.

Any ideas? thanks.

Hi there stranger :). Thank you for being a member of the Nexus Bytes Family :)

There's many and multiple things that may impact the pricing. Such as hardware, node density etc.

We also have a budget lineup that comes pretty close to most of the "cheap" VPS, without sacrificing the quality of the service. :)

It is kinda like renting a house. Depending on which neighborhood you rent it, you rent might be cheaper or more expensive.

You also need to take in consideration that the pricing you have with Pacificrack might be a promotional plan, which might not be a permanent one, in case you need to expand or add more services in the near future.

For comparison:

Thanked by 3jpeng lentro ferri
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I am pretty sure the support on NexusBytes and PacificRack is not in the same tier. A lot of thing varies and it is not just the numbers where you have a formula that fits all.

There are so many hidden clauses and things to take into considerations such as but not limited to the AUP, FUP, Support policy, SLA policy, Host nodes Hardware, Overselling ratio, Location, Clean IPs, ...

Of course, the numbers are nice and fun but at the end of the day, it is not the total resources you get that matters, but how much you can make use of out of the limited resources.

(Damn, this just reminds me to stop buying idling machines just because it is cheap...)

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2020

Hard to appreciate quality when one doesn't even know what it is.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • You also need to take in consideration that the pricing you have with Pacificrack might be a promotional plan, which might not be a permanent one, in case you need to expand or add more services in the near future.

For comparison:

:p 90% of existing customers won't subscribe the standard plan. They do have seasonal sale very frequently. The one that has just passed was $10/year (recurring) for 1 cpu 1gb ram 15gb ssd :#

• @jpeng :p not trying to be a villain here

perhaps this example would be easier to understanding:

In Red Light District, some ask for $50 per round, some $500. Both serve the same purpose but different experience >:)

Thanked by 2jpeng ferri
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@FAT32 said:

I am pretty sure the support on NexusBytes and PacificRack is not in the same tier. A lot of thing varies and it is not just the numbers where you have a formula that fits all.

There are so many hidden clauses and things to take into considerations such as but not limited to the AUP, FUP, Support policy, SLA policy, Host nodes Hardware, Overselling ratio, Location, Clean IPs, ...

Of course, the numbers are nice and fun but at the end of the day, it is not the total resources you get that matters, but how much you can make use of out of the limited resources.

(Damn, this just reminds me to stop buying idling machines just because it is cheap...)

The PYRAMID of wallet rape, oh noes.

• The price is set by the provider, say in your case, Nexusbytes and Pacificrack. Both of them are intelligent and rational (by which I mean they do have common sense of running a business, and won't do crazy things, not sure if this is a proper term) enough. That means they won't, at least in the long term, make business decisions such as pricing policies, etc. to harm the company's operation and survival. Or, in another perspective, businesses behave properly to survive. Consequently, the bottom line is that they are going to make returns cover the cost, if not making a decent profit (esp. in a competitive market, like this, the hosting industry).

The cost is actually determined by various factors, some of which are easily seen or perceived, while some are not. N and P, the two providers in your example above are not manufacturers or sellers of hardware, so you cannot directly measure their cost by counting or calculating the value/price of the hardware, say memory, core and hard disk. They are called providers because they provide services, or even business solutions. 24 dollars for less than 1g memory seems not competitive compared to 2g, but you need to take some other factors into consideration.

What is the frequency of the RAM (I refer to the speed, not sure if it is the term), what is the type of the CPU (even AMD itself sells desktop and server versions that these two lines differ quite a lot), and what is the HDD/SSD IO limitations? And of course, the bandwidth? More bandwidth, higher cost.

Meantime, different hosting companies have different bargaining power. A may have strong and closer relationships with core suppliers, which is a guarantee for lower annual expenses while B is a new comer and thus are positioned at a weak place with disadvantages in terms of competition.

A may hire tech guru teams that can attract customers who are sensitive to such measures as the average machine online time/rate, but it has to pay a premium for the team's HR costs, which obviously will affect the cost of operation and have to be made up by the price tag.

There are a lot of factors, even geographic one, I mean geo-location. Nexusbytes has its Japan plans and Singapore plans. Expansion to Asian market costs a lot (if it does not expand but stay inside America, it may not incur these extra costs) and it also brings it potential customers, perhaps lucrative customer groups. I don't know if it is a good move, but you'll see that the pure pricing decision/policy is not a pure/simple thing to consider, and thus cannot judge their worthiness/value for money superficially.

• Thanks for all suggestions. Now I want four VPS in different locations(North America, europe, Asia). with such specs:

• double cores
    • 100G ssd disk
    • 4G ram
    • 1TB bw

My budget is 240 usd Quarterly, and most probably I only subscribe to one quarter.
    Can you suggest one provider? (I guess Pacific can't satisfy due to their poor performance).

Many thanks.

• I want to say a story. I have helped my company subscribed to a company on LET with 24 dedi servers. Their pricing was really low-end, and my company was somewhat afraid about the quality at first. Finally the deal was made successfully. That company had provided a very high quality service to us. The contract term was for 1 year, my company was satisfied with this deal. So thanks for LET.

Thanked by 2seriesn ferri
  • @jpeng said:
    Thanks for all suggestions. Now I want four VPS in different locations(North America, europe, Asia). with such specs:

• double cores
    • 100G ssd disk
    • 4G ram
    • 1TB bw

My budget is 240 usd Quarterly, and most probably I only subscribe to one quarter.
    Can you suggest one provider? (I guess Pacific can't satisfy due to their poor performance).

Many thanks.

Hola,

https://nexusbytes.com/kvm-vps-hosting.html Our VPS-4G with additional 60GB disk with “FamilyFirst” code comes super close to your budget :).

I might have some spare disk space in NA, pop in a ticket. Should be able to work out the numbers :)

• @seriesn it seems your 5g kvm plan can have 100g disk as storage, right? regards.

• @jpeng said:
    @seriesn it seems your 5g kvm plan can have 100g disk as storage, right? regards.

With the annual commitment totally. Each plans are also super customizable, when you place your order :)

• @seriesn said:

@jpeng said:
    @seriesn it seems your 5g kvm plan can have 100g disk as storage, right? regards.

With the annual commitment totally. Each plans are also super customizable, when you place your order :)

I can only choose payment yearly. do you have quarter plan?

• @jpeng said:

@seriesn said:

@jpeng said:

oh sorry your order page breaks in my browser (macos chrome). .. it's hard to find the hidden plan setting.

• @jpeng said:

@jpeng said:

@seriesn said:

@jpeng said:

oh sorry your order page breaks in my browser (macos chrome). .. it's hard to find the hidden plan setting.

Are you on chrome? Any vpn? I have just tried multiple browsers with no issue :(

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@jpeng said:
    Thanks for all suggestions. Now I want four VPS in different locations(North America, europe, Asia). with such specs:

• double cores
    • 100G ssd disk
    • 4G ram
    • 1TB bw

Many thanks.

How about this:

RYZEN CPU Core (3.5 Ghz+): 6

RAM: 6 GB

NVME Disk Space: 100 GB

IPv4: 3

IPv6: /64 (18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses)

BANDWIDTH: 6 TB

Port Speed: 1 Gbps

Control Panel: YES

RDNS: YES

VNC: YES

DDOS Protection: YES

Instant Activation: YES

BLESTA License: FREE

Windows 2019 License: FREE on 1 yr, 2 yr and 3 yr billing cycles

Order Link: https://my.hosteons.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=126

USD $61.2 for 3 months

• @seriesn please check my this setup:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlsbmZELhAliukXGZcxSYGQEU1sO?e=xOo53D
    my question include:
    1. can two 15gb ssd as an entire disk for /root? not the separated mounted disk.
    2. I saw you have eu and asian locations which are good. do your locations include east and west of US?
    3. can we long time consume the VM's CPU (for data analyst etc).

THANKS.

• @HostEONS said:

@jpeng said:

• double cores
    • 100G ssd disk
    • 4G ram
    • 1TB bw

Many thanks.

How about this:

USD $61.2 for 3 months

DO you have EU and ASIA locations? regards.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@jpeng said:

@HostEONS said:

@jpeng said:

• double cores
    • 100G ssd disk
    • 4G ram
    • 1TB bw

Many thanks.

How about this:

USD $61.2 for 3 months

DO you have EU and ASIA locations? regards.

Sorry no, currently only US

• That would be the final confirmation of your config. This is where clicking the link takes me to by default:

https://my.nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=85&billingcycle=annually

my question include:
    1. can two 15gb ssd as an entire disk for /root? not the separated mounted disk.

Yeap! NVME/SSD's are part of default lvm. Block storages are mounted separately.

1. I saw you have eu and asian locations which are good. do your locations include east and west of US?
    • East: NYC Metro and Miami
    • West: LA
    1. can we long time consume the VM's CPU (for data analyst etc).

Copy pasting from our tos:

**CPU USAGE POLICY:**

For our end users peace of mind, we don't strictly enforce fair share limits. However, if a servers cpu usage continues exceed the maximum acceptable amount as out lined below, for an extended period, we reserve the right to permanently enforce the following CPU Limits.

If end users usage continues to impact host nodes over all performance, we reserve the right request said user to either upgrade their plan. Nexus Bytes LLC reserves the right to suspend and/or terminate services for excessive usage after 3 notifications

**FAIR SHARE:**
    -VPS-0.5G - VPS-2G:
       -20% Average Usage
       -Up to 100% burst for 10 minutes, every 6 hours. 
    - VPS-3G to  VPS-6G:
       - 25% Average Usage
       - Up to 100% burst for 15 minutes, every 6 hours.
    - VPS-6G to VPS-12G:
       - 35% Average Usage
       - Up to 100% burst for 25 minutes, every 6 hours.
    - Budget VPS
       - 20% Average usage
       - Up to 100% burst for 10 minutes, every 6 hours.
    - Dedicated Core:
       - 24/7 100% assigned vCPU usage.
    - Resource pool will follow the same RAM to CPU ratio as the standard plans.
    - Storage VPS:
       - 20% Average Usage
       - Up to 100% Burst for 15 minutes every 6 hours.

• @seriesn said: That would be the final confirmation of your config. This is where clicking the link takes me to by default:

I want to subscribe to the service quarterly. will you change it to quarterly on which I will give the try. thank you.

• @jpeng said:

@seriesn said: That would be the final confirmation of your config. This is where clicking the link takes me to by default:

I want to subscribe to the service quarterly. will you change it to quarterly on which I will give the try. thank you.

Hi bud,

You can select and change billing cycle while placing order:

https://gyazo.com/cac65ecadcc4e181414d642344363964

• Both might actually be the same. The one offering lower hardware but at the same price might be offering a much better support.