Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA?

I recently took a new dedicated server ovh whose description is: SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA but I'm not sure I understand the meaning. I suppose there are 3 physical 2TB disks so I would tend to assume it is RAID 5 but if it was, we would end up with a 4TB disk and not 2TB.

Can someone explain to me what type of RAID is SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA?
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• you can make softraid with either raid 10 or raid 5. that's decided by you.

• @jpeng So SoftRaid 3x2TB mean is RAID5 ?
    And what should i do to get like 4TB or 3TB should i contact support?
    Can you please explain the 3x2TB?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited December 2020

@Nativebaby said:
    I recently took a new dedicated server ovh whose description is: SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA but I'm not sure I understand the meaning. I suppose there are 3 physical 2TB disks so I would tend to assume it is RAID 5 but if it was, we would end up with a 4TB disk and not 2TB.

Can someone explain to me what type of RAID is SoftRaid 3x2TB SATA?
    Thank you in advance.

It means, you are able to convert these devices into raid drives, by utilizing mdadm (software raid).

Depending on what your goal is, you have 3 options

• Raid 0 : Maximum performance, high risk. 0 data safety. Single disk failure and it’s done.

3x Read and Write speed gain.

• Raid1: Ultimate data security. Downside: only 2TB net storage.

3x read speed gain. Write speed would be same as single disk. Would survive 1 disk failure.

• Raid 5: Maximize storage space, with some form for redundancy. Would survive 1 disk failure.

2x read speed gain. Total usable storage: 4TB.

Thanked by 3benj0x Tony40 tarasis
  • you have THREE 2TB disk

you setup whatever you want.

• @jpeng said:
    you can make softraid with either raid 10 or raid 5. that's decided by you.

That is not a good answer as it is technically impossible to do RAID10 using 3 disks, minimum amount of disks is 4 disks to be able to utilize RAID10.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Prime404 said:

@jpeng said:
    you can make softraid with either raid 10 or raid 5. that's decided by you.

That is not a good answer as it is technically impossible to do RAID10 using 3 disks, minimum amount of disks is 4 disks to be able to utilize RAID10.

It Is possibile to do something like RAID 10 with odd drives with linux. It Is called RAID 1E.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels

• @Shazan said:
    It Is possibile to do something like RAID 10 with odd drives with linux. It Is called RAID 1E.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels

RAID-1E is a non-standard RAID-level and it makes no sense running it with 3 drives, as it would essentially give no real benefits over running plain RAID-1 with 2 drives.
    You would end up losing a drive for no good reason and you would not gain any additional level of redundancy by doing so.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

@Prime404 said:
    RAID-1E is a non-standard RAID-level and it makes no sense running it with 3 drives, as it would essentially give no real benefits over running plain RAID-1 with 2 drives.
    You would end up losing a drive for no good reason and you would not gain any additional level of redundancy by doing so.

Not exactly. A RAID 1E with 3 drives is obviously faster than 2 drives RAID 1, both in read and write operations, and you can still lose one drive. Compared to RAID 5 is much more reliable, doesn't have its checksum overhead and provides faster array rebuilds.
    I always use it with odd drives, works wonderfully.

Edited: wrong calculation about available disk space.

• @Nativebaby said:
    should i contact support?

Most probably not, the service you have bought should be unmanaged.