Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2021 year. domains looks overpriced
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 year. domains looks overpriced

jokotanjokotan Member
edited December 2020 in General

I just thought..2021 year

8-9$ per domain (new or renewal) looks very overpriced! We bought real resources like vps (12$+ per year) where provider pay for rent, stuff, electricity and hardware. And this... 9$+ yearly for nothings and no alternatives, because cheapest name zones have a price near 4$ per year (also overpriced) and there is no guarantee that tomorrow the price for such zones will not be 50$ per year.

and why do antitrust regulation keep silent? and nobody cares

Comments

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2020

In my opinion domains will get cheaper as new gTLD options become more popular, while competition between them becomes more fierce. Right now, everything is still calculated according to com/net/org and ccTLD domains. Just wait... it takes time to change human minds.

Besides, after this pandemic is over, other companies will arise wanting websites, and it is likely they will look at new gTLDs, especially the ones who relate to their business (store, shop, auction, win, website, site, and all others).

• @jokotan said: I just thought..2021 year

You act as though something big with respect to domains were changing in 2021, but this isn't the case.

It sounds like you just want to rant about domain name prices.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited December 2020

@default said: In my opinion domains will get cheaper as new gTLD options become more popular, while competition between them becomes more fierce.

Verisign is going to increase price of .COM and .NET by minimum 7% according to their contract. They are also aiming to sign modified contract at renewal date where they can charge just like new gTLD with no cap. Something like $40/yr. But they'll not bump the prices in one-shot thougt. It will be steady increase over years/decade.

And just like super-low-end-hosting attracts crap, spammers, tor and other abusive clients, super cheap domain $4 or $5 a year ARE and will attract such. Look at .ICU, .OOO and .XYZ tlds - they are $0.99/yr to $1.99/yr range.

But at $25 domain like .online or .store has quite a less amount of spammers as they'll not invest this amount as they know they'll be kicked off within a week of spamming domain!

Rather All domains should have a decent and affordable price in range $10 - $20 per year.

• @JasonM said:

@default said: In my opinion domains will get cheaper as new gTLD options become more popular, while competition between them becomes more fierce.

Verisign is going to increase price of .COM and .NET by minimum 7% according to their contract. They are also aiming to sign modified contract at renewal date where they can charge just like new gTLD with no cap. Something like $40/yr. But they'll not bump the prices in one-shot thougt. It will be steady increase over years/decade.

And just like super-low-end-hosting attracts crap, spammers, tor and other abusive clients, super cheap domain $4 or $5 a year ARE and will attract such. Look at .ICU, .OOO and .XYZ tlds - they are $0.99/yr to $1.99/yr range.

But at $25 domain like .online or .store has quite a less amount of spammers as they'll not invest this amount as they know they'll be kicked off within a week of spamming domain!

Rather All domains should have a decent and affordable price in range $10 - $20 per year.

We can go on and speculate about domains value and TLD value all we want. From a technical stand point, a domain is still just an address to convert names to numbers (words to IPv4/IPv6 addresses). That is all there is to it, and for this, a gTLD pays to ICANN a couple of million dollars for registration, then a couple of thousand dollars per year to control it.

So is it worth it? Depends, depends, and depends. It's all speculation and case-by-case scenario. Spam and abuse have nothing to do with it. I stand by my opinion: they will get cheaper, to attract more customers and become more popular.

• @default said:

@JasonM said:

We can go on and speculate about domains value and TLD value all we want. From a technical stand point, a domain is still just an address to convert names to numbers (words to IPv4/IPv6 addresses). That is all there is to it, and for this, a gTLD pays to ICANN a couple of million dollars for registration, then a couple of thousand dollars per year to control it.

So is it worth it? Depends, depends, and depends. It's all speculation and case-by-case scenario. Spam and abuse have nothing to do with it. I stand by my opinion: they will get cheaper, to attract more customers and become more popular.

So are you telling me one day i can own a .cyou domain for 0.10 usd/year

• I own a lot of weird gLTDs, and I like them a lot. But I still mostly use .com.

• @codelock said:

@default said:

@JasonM said:

So are you telling me one day i can own a .cyou domain for 0.10 usd/year

Depends. Right now ICANN tax per domain is higher than that. In future it might be possible indeed.

• @default said: So is it worth it? Depends, depends, and depends. It's all speculation and case-by-case scenario. Spam and abuse have nothing to do with it. I stand by my opinion: they will get cheaper, to attract more customers and become more popular.

lol

• there is no guarantee that tomorrow will even come

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited December 2020

Did I understand correctly that all this monopoly only supported by browsers? Because they don't integrate any other possible free or cheap alternatives (e.g. on blockchain) to I.C,A.AN and collude to support this monopoly ?

We already have free https certificates and still pay so much only to translate names to ip service monopily? :-)

Thanked by 1randomq
  • @jokotan said:
    I just thought..2021 year

8-9$ per domain (new or renewal) looks very overpriced! We bought real resources like vps (12$+ per year) where provider pay for rent, stuff, electricity and hardware. And this... 9$+ yearly for nothings and no alternatives, because cheapest name zones have a price near 4$ per year (also overpriced) and there is no guarantee that tomorrow the price for such zones will not be 50$ per year.

and why do antitrust regulation keep silent? and nobody cares

According to me $8-9 is not over price for .com domains.
    I am in this industry since 2004, as i know i at that time the price was $6 and today in 2020 this is fair price.
    Howerver, if i convert to my currency (INR) today, its double because at time $1=38 INR and today its $1=75INR so i pay more in my currency today.

• jokotanjokotan Member
    edited December 2020

@HostMines said:

Are you seriously saying that $8-9 per year is not over price for service that only translate text to ip and nothing more?

In such case I think you will not be against when each mail service, youtube, google, twitter, facebook, instagram, telegram, pinterest and other social networks will charge you $8-9 per year for text names on there services? Or you can use digital numbers for free of charge.

Maybe you guys who like to pay much for nothing will create a petition and ask all of this companies to add some recurring payments for the names on your pages?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. If you guys like to pay for nothing why not to pay so cheap $8-9 yearly for social pages names?

Absolutely stupid companies haven’t figured it out yet. And since users are willing to pay, why not? Guys from big companies, please bring to the management that we have a lot of people who are ready to pay for this feature. You lose you money now

Thanked by 2rm_ randomq
  • Premium domain names are 30-100 dollars

• This may be an unpopular opinion, but .com raising prices would mean that less idiots will be holding onto cool domains names for years without ever using them just because they think they might eventually™ use it for a project.

• .info renew price $13.99 :o

• @jokotan said:

@HostMines said:

Are you seriously saying that $8-9 per year is not over price for service that only translate text to ip and nothing more?

That's not really what you are paying for.
    What you are paying for is the name, the right to use a name that no one else can use. Think of it as a trademark or patent or copyright if you will.

If you ask me it's way to cheap. Raise the prices and get rid of spammers and idiots registering thousands of names just because they can. I don't think it would be a problem for most businesses because if you really do need and use a name you should without a doubt be willing to pay $10-20 or even $50 a year to own it.

• I don't see how $9/year is overpriced, it's less than $1/month or $0.75/month to be exact.
    I'm pretty sure you earn way more than that in a month, unless you don't, so I don't see how it is a problem.
    And you are always free to tell your visitors your IP instead of your domain if you don't want to pay it that "much".

$8-$9/year is still too cheap in my opinion, $15-$20/year is a decent.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@jokotan said: 8-9$ per domain (new or renewal) looks very overpriced!

It doesn't look overpriced IT IS, they should be on the 1-2 usd per domain.

• @rcy026 said:
    If you ask me it's way to cheap. Raise the prices and get rid of spammers and idiots registering thousands of names just because they can. I don't think it would be a problem for most businesses because if you really do need and use a name you should without a doubt be willing to pay $10-20 or even $50 a year to own it.

This works only because other idiots buy "seized" domains from spammers hands. If they didn’t do that, the domains would not be bought for resale

• @jokotan said:

@HostMines said:

In such case I think you will not be against when each mail service, youtube, google, twitter, facebook, instagram, telegram, pinterest and other social networks will charge you $8-9 per year for text names on there services? Or you can use digital numbers for free of charge.

Maybe you guys who like to pay much for nothing will create a petition and ask all of this companies to add some recurring payments for the names on your pages?

Sounds like a wonderful idea. If you guys like to pay for nothing why not to pay so cheap $8-9 yearly for social pages names?

Absolutely stupid companies haven’t figured it out yet. And since users are willing to pay, why not? Guys from big companies, please bring to the management that we have a lot of people who are ready to pay for this feature. You lose you money now

When you compare with other domain TLDs it's still fair in price for me.
    As you say its text to ip. Here are still many tlds are $50 above checklist https://www.hostmines.com/client/cart.php?a=add&domain=register

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

When you compare with other domain TLDs it's still fair in price for me.

It's as if opinions about a shop selling bread for $30 should be somehow invalid as soon as someone opens a new shop next to it selling bread for $500.

Thanked by 1jokotan
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited December 2020

@hiphiphip0 said:
    .info renew price $13.99 :o

That is a huge price. It's insane. Time to quit using .info domains.

Edit: Afilias is also managing .rich TLD, so I think they must have confused or misconfigured the two TLD extensions. :grin:

• Registries need infrastructure for domains but it is mostly fixed cost so there cost/domain is less when more domains registered. They don't pass on savings and keep raising registration price