Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

does latency matter for a mail server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

does latency matter for a mail server?

Need a VPS for another mail server. Clients are in the US. Should I pay for something in the US at twice the price for lets say something with 20-30 ms latency versus something off shore at 100-120ms?

Comments

• No. No matter when you receive email if its in 1 minute range.

Thanked by 2guerrilla kkrajk
  • What he said ^^ As long as you are not going to do webmail.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My email is in Germany and I'm in Texas. I wouldn't notice if I didn't already know it.

Thanked by 2guerrilla kkrajk
  • @jar said:
    My email is in Germany and I'm in Texas. I wouldn't notice if I didn't already know it.

You also on Echo? :smiley:

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sgheghele said:

@jar said:

You also on Echo? :smiley:

Arrow but neighbors :)

• mxroute email system is good . no more email problems

• @amsaal said: mxroute email system is good . no more email problems

What does that have to do with anything? Sheesh.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

no, but I could be when we colonize mars, that we would run into issues, since a single HELLO takes way to long.

• Latency does not matter. Location does!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Neoon said:
    no, but I could be when we colonize mars, that we would run into issues, since a single HELLO takes way to long.

The summer host plans to offer mail hosting on Jupiter. Your email will be delivered to Jupiter in 48 minutes.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

@Neoon said:

The summer host plans to offer mail hosting on Jupiter. Your email will be delivered to Jupiter in 48 minutes.

See these 48 minutes are only light speed travel time.
    Since the earth is rotating, you would need multiple ground stations and depending which ground station you are currently connection with latency increases or decreases + the transition from fiber optics to RJ45.

So I call these 48 minutes fake news.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Jarry said:
    Latency does not matter. Location does!

Location boils down to latency.

That said, the real problem with mail servers is the time needed to build up a charge in them FETs to make them switch. The only way to build a really fast, low latency mail server is to build the processor by hand using only carefully selected transistors and to the anycast a whole /24 (minimum!) of them servers all over the globe.

Unless of course you do not need your email with tens of microseconds latency and are content with your email arriving in "oh well, kind of some minutes".

That said, the whole OP "problem" exists only at the first attempt because the following delivery attempts are not defined by Rds(on) of the gates in your processor but by the SMTP protocol anyway. Sorry to deliver bad news ...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Propagation delay