Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What was your first VPS?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Mine was vpslink. Didn't even qualify for LET pricing. I don't think they've updated their pricing since I bought it...I think I had the link-3. A towering 256MB of RAM, 10GB of disk, and 300GB of bandwidth for $19.95/month!

http://vpslink.com/xen-vps/

The most famous article in LEB history used a vpslink-1 for its example. For its day, vpslink was OK...ish...I didn't stay long.

I then moved on to DamnVPS. That was a sad time in my life. They're dead now.

Then I found LET.

Thanked by 1Ganonk

Comments

• Mine was the GCP free tier. If counting payed VPS, it was the SAS-Special-1 with 4GB RAM and 100GB HDD from @UltraVPS which I still have. I'm gonna let go of it soon, but only because I got the absolute steal from @hosthatch, otherwise it's great.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2020

@IntoVPS was my first VPS, had to cancel due to broken routing in my ISP parts and it would go "offline" randomly, for some minutes/hours.
    I can see they are here, they still exists and went OpenStack, got much more locations than just RO :) https://intovps.com/plans.html

• I started with slicehost. 256mb for $20 a month and there was a months long wait list to even get that.

• Jolly Works Hosting, 512MB VPS. Pricing still hasn't changed since way back then when, surprised they're still in business.

• Mine was NFOServers for a large Gmod DarkRP server I ran for a while.

• This is the earliest I could find but I do not remember vpslink at all.

Looks like I switched to arpnetworks shortly afterwards for FreeBSD. B)

Then prgmr... also because they had support for FreeBSD.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • It was a 1gb KVM from Woot hosting that came with a free cPanel reseller for $30/year. Memories....

• that damnvps. i believe i used them in the past. :D

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My first was PhotonVPS WARP .5.
    Before ordering, I read carefully regarding OpenVZ vs Xen and the possibility of overselling.

Xen
    2 cores
    256MB RAM
    512MB swap
    4GB disk
    600GB transfer
    $9.95/month

Ordered 2011-08-21, canceled 2011-09-05, received full refund as I canceled within one month.
    It's expensive because it's actually a managed VPS and I didn't know what that meant.

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited December 2020

cPanel Power-1 VPS from VirtaCore. Came with free cPanel and ClientExec License. It was supposed to be $44.50 monthly but got it with a recurring discount for a total monthly due of $11.12 which I thought was a great bargain at the time (2010). Forgot the specs but it was at least 2 GB and had a lot of disk space. Kept it for years until KVM became an option for me.

Edit: Forgot that it was fully managed, too.

• My first vps is hostrail from lowendbox. :/

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Always had my own equipment and generally ran things out of my home when they were needed. But @Francisco and BuyVM was my first actual VPS.

• ServInt 12-13-10

Essential VPS

50 GB Storage UPGRADED
    30 GB Storage
    1 TB Monthly Transfer
    768 MB Guaranteed (1.5 GB Burst RAM)

Hardware RAID 10
    CentOS 5 Operating System
    4 IP Addresses
    Fastest drives in the industry
    Unlimited Domains and User Accounts
    FREE cPanel, Plesk, or Parallels SBP
    FREE Virtuozzo Power Panel
    FREE Daily Off-Server Backups

No Setup Fee

$49.00 Monthly

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited December 2020

A fucking summerhost. I never looked up the exact specs, but it was recommended for hosting a MCPE server for 20 people.

• Burst burst baby.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited December 2020

@raindog308 said:
    Mine was vpslink. Didn't even qualify for LET pricing. I don't think they've updated their pricing since I bought it...I think I had the link-3. A towering 256MB of RAM, 10GB of disk, and 300GB of bandwidth for $19.95/month!

http://vpslink.com/xen-vps/

The most famous article in LEB history used a vpslink-1 for its example. For its day, vpslink was OK...ish...I didn't stay long.

I then moved on to DamnVPS. That was a sad time in my life. They're dead now.

Then I found LET.

This brings back memories! - https://web.archive.org/web/20120103112811/https://hostigation.com/

My first real VPS (KVM) was with @miTgiB from Hostigation back in October 2012.
    He was one hell of a guy who provided rock solid services, and didn't seem to mind answering some of my newbie questions back then.

I hope he's well in 2020.

Thanked by 2seriesn MaxKVM
  • My first server was a managed Dedi from Liquidweb about 15 years ago

Processor: Dual Xeon 2.8GHZ HT EMT64
       Memory: 4GB DDR Registered ECC
       Hd1: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
       Hd2: 160GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
       RemoteBackup: 50GB Remote Backup
       ControlPanel: CPanel / Web Host Manager
        (+InitAdmin)
        (+Fantastico/XController)
       SetupFee: $0 Setup Fee

Monthly Recurring Charges: $269
       Total First Month Charges: $269

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Ouji said: Mine was the GCP free tier.

You're so young!

@cablepick said: I started with slicehost.

They were famous back in the day. I think they had a pretty intense library of tutorials as well. Sold out to RackSpace IIRC.

@Bertie said: Jolly Works Hosting

I remember JW as doing white-label VPS reselling...buy a pool, carve it up, etc. But I never heard good things about them.

@DataIdeas-Josh said: But @Francisco and BuyVM was my first

I remember getting up at 2am to order a buyvm and then waiting for an hour while @Francisco futzed around releasing stock. The IRC back then was epic.

@seriesn said: Burst burst baby.

Aw yeah. I used them as well at one point. Never was impressed.

Yep, Hostigation was solid! Great systems. Did storage early on - before a lot of Lowend players did. It was a huge SATA array he carved up and had nothing with problems with it because it caused so many problems. He stopped offering it but grandfathered existing...I held onto mine part of it for a long time because it was a while before "storage servers" became common.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I remember getting up at 2am to order a buyvm and then waiting for an hour while @Francisco futzed around releasing stock. The IRC back then was epic.

The discords pretty memetastic ;)

Francisco

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2020

Was a free 128MB RAM 'micro VKS' by OVH .

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

My first one was with FsckVPS/VAServ in 2008. 512 MB RAM and 20 GB space for $10/month. Here's the original post: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=854546

I was also renting a dedicated server (at a small host that doesn't exist any more, but later migrated to Hivelocity) for several years, and used the VPS as a secondary DNS server. FSCKVPS' entire server cluster was completely wiped (rm -rf / as root on every node) by an attacker using a security hole in HyperVM. That was "fun". https://news.softpedia.com/news/VAServ-Hack-Results-in-Massive-Data-Loss-113660.shtml

I moved from them to PhotonVPS and ThrustVPS in 2009, then to BuyVM in 2012. BuyVM was the first VPS host I used as a 'primary' host for some of my sites rather than just using it for backups, failover, and secondary DNS. I'm still using BuyVM today! I posted a 7 year review of BuyVM last year: https://hostedtalk.net/t/buyvm-7-year-review/1919

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • A storage VPS from BuyVM a couple of years back. Coming from at the most 100mbps residential internet, the nearly consistent 300+mbps was definitely a groundbreaking experience.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • 2010 on WHT .. eNetSouth: Hyper-V specials in Chicago, IL and Dallas, TX

512MB RAM
    40GB Storage
    1000GB Transfer
    1 IPv4 Address
    $15.00 /mo

Here's the original post

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1004306&p=7160195#post7160195

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • I got my first vps on frevps.us :)
    just posts 20 post every month and i can keep my vps

Thanked by 2raindog308 Ganonk
  • My first was Burst.net and then Crissic.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ariq01 said: I got my first vps on frevps.us

That was a cool idea...though I never saw much value in reading the forum itself. I think I got a free VPS from KiloServe when they still existed. But I gave it up pretty quickly as others benefitted more. The community at freevps just didn't excite me but I know @dmmcintyre3 put a ton of time and effort into it.

Blast from the past!

Thanked by 2ariq01 rafaelscs
  • Hostigger - Turkey
    Hetzner - Germany
    Leaseweb - rest of the world

• BandwagonHost.

• 128MB ovz (AMS) from Ramnode around 2014.

I just learned about openvpn so wanted to try it to bypass my college internet. Fun learning time.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @serveradministrator said:
    My first was Burst.net

BurstNET's dedicated servers were amazing for the price. Their support was absolutely horrible though.