Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you get through to servdiscount support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you get through to servdiscount support?

I was interested in getting a server from them as there was one which seemed well ahead of other offerings in terms of cpumark - something in the range of 11k vs ~6k for other offerings - in the price range I am looking for of $30-40 bux.

I tried emailing them on sunday night however they still haven't replied as of wednesday. I got an instant reply from 'myloc' (which I read on here is the parent company) domain saying to email another of their emails which I did and no reply there either.

It isn't an important issue it is just that I like to touch base with a company before putting down the cash as I don't want it to be an unmanned ship.

Comments

• Have you tried their live chat?

• I don't have experience with servdiscount, but based on what I remember, servdiscount and webtropia are the 'budget' brands of myloc. (Something like kimsufi for ovh) IT wouldn't be an unmanned ship, but expect support to be slow.

• Try their phone line between 8:00-16:30 german time. Says they can speak german and english :)

https://servdiscount.com/services/support.html

• @OsirisBlack said:
    Have you tried their live chat?

Thanks, not yet.

@Ympker said:
    Try their phone line between 8:00-16:30 german time. Says they can speak german and english :)

https://servdiscount.com/services/support.html

Thanks, but I am phoneshy.

@smallbibi said:
    I don't have experience with servdiscount, but based on what I remember, servdiscount and webtropia are the 'budget' brands of myloc. (Something like kimsufi for ovh) IT wouldn't be an unmanned ship, but expect support to be slow.

As a business I would expect support should be fast, for sales quiries. Makes a bad impression otherwise and I would be hesistant to use them cos then I would think how long would I have to wait if there was a problem.

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited December 2020

I go two servers with them. a VPS and a Dedicated.

I got this Dedicated after the Black Friday sale., is hard to get a deal like it.
    Intel i7-4770 4 core 8 thread 3.40 GHz Max Turbo Frequency 3.90 GHz
    2X2 TB Disks
    16 GB Memory
    2 IPv4
    2 IPv6
    US$28

Their Control Panel has Server Monitoring Free of charge via Email., a plus for me.

Their Network is fast.
    They do reply to ticket not as fast, I think because times differ and they run a Big Operation.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • if you get a bad feeling about them because of the lack of presales comms I think that's fair enough and you should look for another provider - this is a very subjective thing though, so each to their own.

servdiscount is kind of mylocs answer to hetzners auction servers. old stuff thrown out cheap... probably not planned for much sales interaction in the first place rather than just a online portal to take it or leave it.

from experience I can tell that the (technical) support is the very same as e.g. webtropia.. they react in a timely manner and get things solved. nothing to complain about.
    don't expect handholding on problems that could be considered managing of your server though - that's your task not theirs ;-)

other than that, these i7-4790k are good value, had one for a while. you want to check S.M.A.R.T. for the disks on delivery though, happens to have bad disks in there, but they change defect ones on request.

TL;DR; as said, only you know, what you need and if you get a bad feeling already, rather don't go with them but pay a bit more elsewhere maybe?

Thanked by 2lowendguy7 raynor
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited December 2020

@Tony40 said:
    I go two servers with them. a VPS and a Dedicated.

I got this Dedicated after the Black Friday sale., is hard to get a deal like it.
    Intel i7-4770 4 core 8 thread 3.40 GHz Max Turbo Frequency 3.90 GHz
    2X2 TB Disks
    16 GB Memory
    2 IPv4
    2 IPv6
    US$28

Their Control Panel has Server Monitoring Free of charge via Email., a plus for me.

Their Network is fast.
    They do reply to ticket not as fast, I think because times differ and they run a Big Operation.

@Falzo said:
    if you get a bad feeling about them because of the lack of presales comms I think that's fair enough and you should look for another provider - this is a very subjective thing though, so each to their own.

servdiscount is kind of mylocs answer to hetzners auction servers. old stuff thrown out cheap... probably not planned for much sales interaction in the first place rather than just a online portal to take it or leave it.

from experience I can tell that the (technical) support is the very same as e.g. webtropia.. they react in a timely manner and get things solved. nothing to complain about.
    don't expect handholding on problems that could be considered managing of your server though - that's your task not theirs ;-)

other than that, these i7-4790k are good value, had one for a while. you want to check S.M.A.R.T. for the disks on delivery though, happens to have bad disks in there, but they change defect ones on request.

TL;DR; as said, only you know, what you need and if you get a bad feeling already, rather don't go with them but pay a bit more elsewhere maybe?

Oh no, you're guys testimonies certainly help. If I only had their lack of response to go on then sure I might look elsewhere but since you both can vouch it makes me more appeased to try them as other's first hand experience is the best when decision making.

I don't want hand holding at all it is just I wanna know if there were a serious issue I would get to someone at some point.

Btw maybe you both can answer the actual queries I had for them. I want to install archlinux, do they allow custom image on boot to do that? Also do they have a self managed rescue system in place? because with joes datacenter they didn't and you had to email to 'book' it. Seemed stupid and was a nuisance - also seems very inefficient they don't have that automated for themselves too to have to be bothered with support tickets to book that any time a user wants rescue access via vnc/or whatever their thing was.

• @lowendguy7 said: I wanna know if there were a serious issue I would get to someone at some point

yes, if I remember correctly tickets were answered usually within a few hours, maybe a bit depending on the day of the week - but I never had anything sitting around there for any uncalled long time. (that even includes sales requests like for additional IPs f.i.)

@lowendguy7 said: I want to install archlinux, do they allow custom image on boot to do that?

sorry I can't remember because never needed my own iso. and because I don't have active services right now, I can't look it up anymore 🤷‍♂️

@lowendguy7 said: Also do they have a self managed rescue system in place?

yes.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited December 2020

@Falzo said:

@lowendguy7 said: I wanna know if there were a serious issue I would get to someone at some point

yes, if I remember correctly tickets were answered usually within a few hours, maybe a bit depending on the day of the week - but I never had anything sitting around there for any uncalled long time. (that even includes sales requests like for additional IPs f.i.)

@lowendguy7 said: I want to install archlinux, do they allow custom image on boot to do that?

sorry I can't remember because never needed my own iso. and because I don't have active services right now, I can't look it up anymore 🤷‍♂️

@lowendguy7 said: Also do they have a self managed rescue system in place?

yes.

Thanks, oh and I wonder about their setup time? I wouldn't mind going through there automated checkout system but wouldn't wanna find out there was a month wait time only after paying like some other company told me here recently in another thread. :pensive: Though I imagine (would hope) they would say that before paying.

Thinking I will give em a shot now, as they seem the best price I have found so far after joesdatacenter.

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited December 2020

@lowendguy7 said:

Btw maybe you both can answer the actual queries I had for them. I want to install archlinux, do they allow custom image on boot to do that? Also do they have a self managed rescue system in place? because with joes datacenter they didn't and you had to email to 'book' it. Seemed stupid and was a nuisance - also seems very inefficient they don't have that automated for themselves too to have to be bothered with support tickets to book that any time a user wants rescue access via vnc/or whatever their thing was.

Archlinux No.

If you get a server with KVM Remote Management (iLO) you can install anything you want.

or you can pay for KVM for 48 hrs. cost $24 euro.

Yes, my server have Rescue Mode , System Restart ,OS Re installation, RDNS Management, Services Monitoring ....

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2020

just checked, my initial order has been on a friday, sent in my business registration papers (scan) for the validation process a few minutes later and got provisioned saturday morning.
    I am from Germany and able to pay via SEPA/direct debit though, so maybe validation/processing time for international clients might be different.

and while we're at it, I think the pricing on their page is including VAT for german clients but considered net for international ( footer says: prices inclusive of VAT may vary depending on the country of residence of the customer (by default, the prices displayed are NET in force) ) - so better don't expect to get further 19% (16%) deducted ;-)

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @lowendguy7 said:
    I was interested in getting a server from them as there was one which seemed well ahead of other offerings in terms of cpumark - something in the range of 11k vs ~6k for other offerings - in the price range I am looking for of $30-40 bux.

I tried emailing them on sunday night however they still haven't replied as of wednesday. I got an instant reply from 'myloc' (which I read on here is the parent company) domain saying to email another of their emails which I did and no reply there either.

It isn't an important issue it is just that I like to touch base with a company before putting down the cash as I don't want it to be an unmanned ship.

Look at the contacts of managers)