Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support tickets per hour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Support tickets per hour

gwnd1989gwnd1989 Member
edited December 2020 in General

How many support tickets do you usually expect your L1/L2 technicians to handle per hour?
(Excluding sales questions)

I just counted how many I did today and I have done 25 tickets for 8 hours.

Comments

• Wutt.. you are back again?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • 25 for 8 hours is slow for L1. They should be able to resolve tickets upon reading (within seconds) the ticket. Else forward to next level.

• It should be a question of quality not quantity... Those of us who pay for services are happier with one reply and problem solved instead of 20 replies and problem still there.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • gwnd1989gwnd1989 Member
    edited December 2020

@cazrz said:
    25 for 8 hours is slow for L1. They should be able to resolve tickets upon reading (within seconds) the ticket. Else forward to next level.

I do not forward about 95% of the tickets. Mostly sales questions I do forward.

Guess im like L2.5

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Wutt.. you are back again?

Hrhehee beat everyones comments and im doing great now

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@cazrz said: They should be able to resolve tickets upon reading (within seconds) the ticket. Else forward to next level.

"Hi, please send me your root password"

• benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited December 2020

@brueggus said:

@cazrz said: They should be able to resolve tickets upon reading (within seconds) the ticket. Else forward to next level.

Welcome to Contabo help desk. But remember: fastest hosting service provider hotline in Germany ;) First place in the CHIP Hotline-Test.

• @brueggus said:

admin
    admin

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited December 2020

60-80 tickets per day unless there is a ticket that has taken longer due to the work involved, any less is laziness. If they are a new employee, 10-30 per day for the first month is acceptable.

• @tester4 said:
    60-80 tickets per day unless there is a ticket that has taken longer due to the work involved, any less is laziness. If they are a new employee, 10-30 per day for the first month is acceptable.

Darn it bro. Perhaps you are thinking L1 basic.

First month 30 then 80 next month? A bit flawed logic isnt it.

What is your background if I may ask?

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited December 2020

@gwnd1989 said:

@tester4 said:

Darn it bro. Perhaps you are thinking L1 basic.

First month 30 then 80 next month? A bit flawed logic isnt it.

What is your background if I may ask?

I work in help desk, more L3/sys admin level but when I was lower in the chain I was doing 80-120 tickets a day.

Don't take my 30 to 80 jump literally, I more meant I'd expect them to slowly do more than 30 per day after a month, maybe 40-50 and then end up at 80. This is also based on them already knowing what they are offering support for, like not hiring a complete newb to the industry.

• @tester4 said: This is also based on them already knowing what they are offering support for, like not hiring a complete newb to the industry.

by that measures @gwnd1989 would have to do 160 ... he's prem dev for long time in this industry, ya know?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

@tester4 said: This is also based on them already knowing what they are offering support for, like not hiring a complete newb to the industry.

by that measures @gwnd1989 would have to do 160 ... he's prem dev for long time in this industry, ya know?

Lel

• Post your email in that hosthatch thread;

Run a yabs.sh against yourself.

• @gwnd1989 I really hope you aren't an employee from hosthatch ^^ Basically in 8 Hour I will take and work on 140 Tickets

• @gwnd1989 said:
    How many support tickets do you usually expect your L1/L2 technicians to handle per hour?
    (Excluding sales questions)

I just counted how many I did today and I have done 25 tickets for 8 hours.

Who do you work for?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2020

As an L1 admin at HostGator I was expected to do 7 tickets per hour. I think if you're talented and have the right access to automate the work from repetitive tickets, and use autokey (or textexpander, etc), there's no reason why 15 an hour shouldn't be a goal you can at least routinely hit. I found that 15 to be much easier to hit at DigitalOcean after leaving HG, for example, because there I'd be answering tickets ranging from presales to technical, but never logging into the servers.

Of course, some tickets will consume more time if for no reason other than not respecting the often unspoken "one ticket, one issue" etiquette.

It's all relative to level of support and type of customer as well. At HG I mostly fixed broken wordpress sites. It wasn't weird to run strace for a ticket thanks to weird plugins and useless error messages. If I knew a popular plugin was broken and needed a line of code changed to work, one ticket would take 30 minutes and then several hundred could by done by pasting a one-liner. Keep in mind these tickets were curated and passed through jr admins first, so 7 tickets an hour actual Linux admin work, not front line tickets. No cherry picking, randomly assigned. Cherry picking one could blow that out of the water but someone else would wait longer.

At DO I wouldn't log in to servers and I'd be answering questions ranging from "you doing black friday?" to "this tutorial gave me an error and I couldn't get the app working, what do?" So 15 or more an hour there made more sense.

If I were in charge of migration tickets with a constant queue, for a managed provider, it could be 1 or less an hour depending on the average customer, host, and web apps.

I also found personalities greatly impact tickets per hour. For example:

Customer: "This tutorial doesn't work."

Agent 1: Creates VPS, runs through tutorial, declares that it works and tells customer that.

Agent 2: Sees tutorial is for Ubuntu 18, looks at history to see customer last created VPS with Ubuntu 16, informs customer.

How you mentally approach ideas and concepts when there's no clearly defined path to success is very important.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @jar said:
    Agent 2: Sees tutorial is for Ubuntu 18, looks at history to see customer last created VPS with Ubuntu 16, informs customer.

Obviously the failed logic there is that the customer could have upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04

@Zerpy said:

@jar said:

Obviously the failed logic there is that the customer could have upgraded from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04

Success rate on assuming a customer didn't do that when they dropped a selection box down and intentionally chose the lower version, and didn't do that, will be close to if not 100%.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

@jar said:
    If I were in charge of migration tickets with a constant queue, for a managed provider, it could be 1 or less an hour depending on the average customer, host, and web apps.

This. The complexity of a typical ticket will vary hugely depending on what the service is. It's not uncommon for tickets in the enterprise software industry to take guys the whole day to get close to a resolution. Unmanaged hosting tickets will be a lot quicker.

I wouldn't put much weight on the ticket/hour metric personally. Some people like clearing easy ones. Some people like a challenge. People who are assigned tickets Vs picking them up might get the short straw, or the long straw. Who knows.

At the end of the day what's really important is - the customer is happy and you're working as efficiently as you can. If you aren't, what's stopping you and how can the business get that resolved?

Thanked by 3jar gwnd1989 that_guy
  • Thank you good sirs.. I think my question was flawed.