Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LUX Slices in Stock @ BUYVM - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LUX Slices in Stock @ BUYVM

Comments

• @Francisco said:

@dfroe said:

@Francisco said: We'll be joining LU-CIX in Luxembourg in a couple weeks I'm just finishing the paper work. That'll give us HE peering and some others. Once we have an idea of our usage there we'll look for another ISP for user traffic. Telia maybe? I've heard good things about RETN but I'd have to go to France/Germany to get it I think.

Great news. :)

BTW, just HE peering or transit as well?

From my experience (based in Germany) both Telia and RETN are able to provide solid connectivity including towards major German ISPs. Probably Telia will be slightly more expensive so you may get a bigger pipe with RETN at the same price. While Telia's presence in LUX is backhauled to Frankfurt and Paris, RETN doesn't have own lines to Luxembourg according to their network map. Hard to say which choice will lead to better user experience.

Peering for now. I dont think HE transit will be great to EU eyeballs which is what I would want for a 2nd transit.

Right, if I want RETN ill need to backhaul it from somewhere else. Telia is on net and even in the building.

Just need to get someone at Talia to return an email :)

You could also try GTT through KPN International (which they own now). Pretty good in Europe too. Telia is probably your best bet though.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@debaser said: You could also try GTT through KPN International (which they own now). Pretty good in Europe too. Telia is probably your best bet though.

Yep, supposedly GTT is lighting up in LU soon, so that could be an option.

Francisco

The crate has arrived! They'll start racking some nodes tomorrow.

Since we're having to do the shuffle in the current racks we can't just rack everything at once or move the drives over. We'll be able to get 5 - 10 nodes swapped in for the first couple days and then it should move quick once the 10gig is run.

Francisco

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said: Some of those won't happen since paying for a flat 10gig of L3/NTT/Telia for TOR/Torrents is a pretty silly idea.

For what it's worth, I'd pay more and/or be happy with a monthly transfer limit in exchange for higher quality bandwidth. I get that there's users that pump a lot of data over the tubes all day long, but I just want something where I can host sites that load quickly and probably use less than 50 GB monthly per VPS :tongue:

Thanked by 1lokuzard

@Daniel15 said: For what it's worth, I'd pay more and/or be happy with a monthly transfer limit in exchange for higher quality bandwidth. I get that there's users that pump a lot of data over the tubes all day long, but I just want something where Iccan host sites that load quickly

Sure :) I'm going to look at all options, i'm just waiting for some quotes to arrive.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: The crane has arrived!

@SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@Francisco said: The crane has arrived!

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

The cabs ah here!

Francisco

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Merrrryyyy Franmas!

After cheers, tears, taxes, and a random crane clutch disc (?) our AMD Ryzen 3900x servers have arrived in Luxembourg!

Over the next few days your VPS will be migrated to our brand new AMD Ryzen 3900x based nodes! These nodes provide an awesome performance boost over the current Intel XEON 12xxV3 based processors, DDR4 RAM, and NVME based storage. All nodes will be connected to the public internet over a 10gbit fiber connection, but each VM will still have a 1Gbit cap. Still, this extra breathing room means you'll be able to easily burst to 1Gbit as needed without the node getting congested.

These nodes also bring with it support for our Block Storage Slabs which will be available for purchase in a couple weeks. Our 40Gbit isolated private networking will also be live once all migrations are done.

Your data will be safe for the entire move with the only downtime being your VPS being rebooted to accept the new CPU. Your IP won't change or anything like that.

We thank you for your patronage all these years and hope you'll enjoy the wicked performance boost!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, & a Happy New Years to you and your loved ones!

Franta Claus

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I had seen this post and got me all excited.... NOW just waiting for that "in stock" part...

Thanked by 1derekyang
  • Slab in lux? Are we there yet?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@cazrz said:
    Slab in lux? Are we there yet?

Soon...

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco Ditching Cogent in LU?

@thedp said:

No, we'd keep them for bulk either way. The goal is to add more transit and peering.

Francisco

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco said:

@thedp said:

No, we'd keep them for bulk either way. The goal is to add more transit and peering.

Francisco

Have you decided what’s next?

@thedp said: Have you decided what’s next?

For bandwidth/etc? or what's on your mind?

As of right now I got a quote request with luxnetwork for an XC to LUXCONNECT1 and colocation for a switch. I also have a quote request with Telia.

I got a standing offer with lu-cix, but I may not go with it if I can get PNI's on the colocated switch.

Francisco

Thanked by 3DP sgheghele 0xbkt
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said: I got a quote request with luxnetwork for an XC to LUXCONNECT1

Would this add network connectivity like seen on https://lg.luxnetwork.eu and https://bgp.he.net/AS29467 to our slices and Stallion-powered BGP sessions?

They have direct links to FRA, PAR, AMS, LON, including connections to DE-CIX, France-IX, AMS-IX and nice direct peerings (even with DTAG). If their pipes aren't as congested as Cogent (to certain destinations), this could be a really sweet add-on.

@dfroe said: Would this add network connectivity like seen on https://lg.luxnetwork.eu and https://bgp.he.net/AS29467 to our slices and Stallion-powered BGP sessions?

They have direct links to FRA, PAR, AMS, LON, including connections to DE-CIX, France-IX, AMS-IX and nice direct peerings (even with DTAG). If their pipes aren't as congested as Cogent (to certain destinations), this could be a really sweet add-on.

No we'd only use them for transport.

It comes down to how fancy we want to get. IPTransit.com has a great blend, but it extends the AS PATH by +2, meaning users wanting to anycast on us will need to prepend to balance things out. Still, a blend of NTT/Telia/Level3/HE/Cogent is quite nice, just doesn't deal with DTAG worth a snot.

The other idea is we get a switch in LUX1 and backhaul it to LUX2 and then PNI/whatever over there.

I might look at doing the switch/backhaul from somewhere else entirely (FR/DE maybe) where I could then get RETN or whatever else.

Francisco

I see, thanks for yet another deep dive.

Basically the idea with IPTransit.com doesn't sound bad. They are also connected to DE-CIX and AMS-IX where probably a lot of traffic can be directly offloaded without requiring any Tier1 transit. However it's just an educated guess, hard to tell without a looking glass.

I wouldn't worry to much about the additional ASN. If somebody as anycasting on your network, he will (or has to) know how to properly prepend. ;)

The lack of connectivity to DTAG with their stupid peering policy could be a show-stopper if you intent to address German customers. Today's speeds from LU Slice via Cogent to DTAG where only about 800-1,000 kbps (while other destinations easily reached 500+ Mbps).

I'd consider Telia a good choice (PoP in LU, links to FRA and PAR) but depending on Telia's offer, I guess IPTransit.com could be cheaper per Mbit as they are able to balance over multiple upstreams. In the end latency and throuhput will be more important than another ASN. On the other hand traffic engineering could be more difficult with IPTransit in between instead of a direct Telia peering.

• EddingEdding Member
    edited December 2020

Running good here.
    With 10gig on the Hypervisors reaching 1gig should be no problem

Resolving speedtest.lu.buyvm.net (speedtest.lu.buyvm.net)... 2605:6400:30:fdd5::1, 104.244.76.191
    Connecting to speedtest.lu.buyvm.net (speedtest.lu.buyvm.net)|2605:6400:30:fdd5::1|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1000000000 (954M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: 'NUL'

NUL                            53%[=========================>                        ] 513,63M  73,7MB/s    eta 7s     ^

edited December 2020

@Edding said: Running good here.

To DTAG?
    Like I said, I am happy with throughput to most destinations (!=DTAG), but DTAG (via Cogent) is, well, a bit "limited".
    Most likely congested tiny pipes connecting Cogent to DTAG.

Resolving speedtest.lu.buyvm.net... 104.244.76.191
    Connecting to speedtest.lu.buyvm.net|104.244.76.191|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 100000000 (95M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'
     5% [=======> ... ] 5,037,817   91.3K/s  eta 12m 55s
    ^C

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   141 KBytes  1.15 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   168 KBytes  1.38 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  86.8 KBytes   710 Kbits/sec
    [  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  84.0 KBytes   689 Kbits/sec
    [  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   214 KBytes  1.75 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  62.4 KBytes   511 Kbits/sec
    [  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   190 KBytes  1.55 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   197 KBytes  1.61 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   130 KBytes  1.07 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  66.4 KBytes   544 Kbits/sec

Host                                                   Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 23.148.48.129                                        0.0%    35    0.5   1.4   0.3  22.4   3.8
     2. te0-2-1-14.nr51.b038844-0.lux01.atlas.cogentco.com   0.0%    35    0.8   1.1   0.6   4.8   0.9
     3. be3456.rcr21.lux01.atlas.cogentco.com                0.0%    35    1.4   1.7   1.3   3.1   0.3
     4. be2376.ccr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com                0.0%    35    5.7   6.0   5.5  12.0   1.1
     5. be3186.agr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com                0.0%    35    6.1   6.0   5.3  10.0   1.0
     6. 80.157.201.197                                      20.6%    35    7.1 285.6   6.9 1640. 484.9
     7. p5b17ecbd.dip0.t-ipconnect.de                       11.8%    35   10.9  11.6  10.9  21.8   2.0
     8. p5b357ed3.dip0.t-ipconnect.de                       20.6%    35   14.2  14.8  14.2  19.9   1.1

Just an update for people.

Ryzen is going in! Many users have already upgraded but many more to go. We had some delays due to a man power shortage in the LUX datacenter.

We expect to have the 10gbit network online in the next few hours at which point I can start migrating everyone else.

Woohoo!

Francisco

Thanked by 4dosai atomi Mytonn MaxKVM
  • MytonnMytonn Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco thank you. My migration has been completed successfully.

@Mytonn said:
    @Francisco thank you. My migration has been completed successfully.

:)

Stallion access will be spotty at best until all migrations are done.

Francisco

edited December 2020

I know it isn't fair to benchmark while migration is going on; but I couldn't resist taking a quick test drive. :)

Performance wasn't bad before at all. But these AMD chips now easily doubled CPU performance from ~2300 to ~5000 GeekBench4 points.

Great work, Fran!

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Dec 21 04:23:11 PST 2020

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3792.874 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 483.2 MiB
    Swap       : 512.0 MiB
    Disk       : 9.3 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 427.68 MB/s (106.9k) | 2.06 GB/s    (32.1k)
    Write      | 428.81 MB/s (107.2k) | 2.07 GB/s    (32.3k)
    Total      | 856.50 MB/s (214.1k) | 4.13 GB/s    (64.5k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 2.38 GB/s     (4.6k) | 1.92 GB/s     (1.8k)
    Write      | 2.50 GB/s     (4.8k) | 2.05 GB/s     (2.0k)
    Total      | 4.88 GB/s     (9.5k) | 3.98 GB/s     (3.8k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 807 Mbits/sec   | 520 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 811 Mbits/sec   | 681 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 810 Mbits/sec   | 179 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 643 Mbits/sec   | 88.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 648 Mbits/sec   | 33.5 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 585 Mbits/sec   | 47.6 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 468 Mbits/sec   | 112 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 773 Mbits/sec   | 313 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 841 Mbits/sec   | 1.74 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 774 Mbits/sec   | 271 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 299 Mbits/sec   | 150 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 143 Mbits/sec   | 132 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1129
    Multi Core      | 1136
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5451316

• BertieBertie Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco Does that mean that LUX slices will be restocked soon?

• @Bertie said: @Francisco Does that mean that LUX slices will be restocked soon?

This week!

• @SCAM_DONT_BUY said:

@Bertie said: @Francisco Does that mean that LUX slices will be restocked soon?

This week!

Wait for the must to have collection :)

• My network was slow but assume it's because it was done via a filtered ip?

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-12-07                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon Dec 21 10:41:49 EST 2020

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 1 @ 3792.872 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 3.9 GiB
    Swap       : 4.0 GiB
    Disk       : 74.8 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 238.16 MB/s  (59.5k) | 807.58 MB/s  (12.6k)
    Write      | 238.78 MB/s  (59.6k) | 811.83 MB/s  (12.6k)
    Total      | 476.95 MB/s (119.2k) | 1.61 GB/s    (25.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 783.91 MB/s   (1.5k) | 661.31 MB/s    (645)
    Write      | 825.56 MB/s   (1.6k) | 705.35 MB/s    (688)
    Total      | 1.60 GB/s     (3.1k) | 1.36 GB/s     (1.3k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 116 Mbits/sec   | 100 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 183 Mbits/sec   | 191 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 152 Mbits/sec   | 158 Mbits/sec
    Biznet          | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 81.3 Mbits/sec  | 17.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 181 Mbits/sec   | 54.2 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 166 Mbits/sec   | 53.0 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 168 Mbits/sec   | 58.3 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | busy            | busy

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 931
    Multi Core      | 938
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5454011

@lurch said: My network was slow but assume it's because it was done via a filtered ip?

Nope, I basically killed the network with all the migrations >_> Our 10gig network wasn't able to be brought up at the start like i was hoping so we've got some ports that, as one person put it, are melting they're running so hot.

Anyway, they got the 40gbit/10gbit wired up so i'll be cutting the nodes over to that shortly, I just need to deal with the dumpster fire of a support queue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1lurch
  • @Francisco melting network ports since 2020

Glad to hear your getting it sorted I thought it was because of protection not configured correctly for the new network or something.