Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LUX Slices in Stock @ BUYVM - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LUX Slices in Stock @ BUYVM

Comments

• my favorite locations would be:
    1. UK
    2. Singapore
    3. Hong Kong
    4. Australia
    5. India
    6. Japan

in the specific order :-)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JasonM said:
    my favorite locations would be:
    1. UK
    2. Singapore
    3. Hong Kong
    4. Australia
    5. India
    6. Japan

thank you very much for the feedback :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2nullnothere JasonM
  • @Francisco said:

@JasonM said:
    1. UK
    2. Singapore
    3. Hong Kong
    4. Australia
    5. India
    6. Japan

Francisco

In terms of freedom of speech..... I guess would have to be very careful with #3 nowadays...

@swat4 said: In terms of freedom of speech..... I guess would have to be very careful with #3 nowadays...

nowadays?

I wouldn't want someone hosting a blog about their favorite Winnie the Pooh books and we get our rack raided.

Francisco

Thanked by 2MaxKVM berkay
  • @Francisco do I get it correctly that the plan for LUX, besides the additional 1x10G with Cogent, is to add transit with HE and perhaps peering with whatever ISP is there in LUX?

Current status with Cogent is quite bad in there. I could literally drive to the datacenter and move data to home faster (not joking). So I would look forward to improvements!

Thanked by 1nullnothere

@sgheghele said: Current status with Cogent is quite bad in there. I could literally drive to the datacenter and move data to home faster (not joking). So I would look forward to improvements!

The 2nd 10gig went up last week so things can breathe again. The port was supposed to be live over a month ago but instead of Cogent EU handling it the entire time, Cogent NA handled it and added their own 3 week delay to it.

Something like Hurricane or similar would be a good pick. The main ISP in the country is restrictive peering, even on the IX. Kind of a shame but what can you do. I'll do some traces later and see if HE peers with them and we can use that to get to them nicely.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@JasonM said:
    1. UK
    2. Singapore
    3. Hong Kong
    4. Australia
    5. India
    6. Japan

Francisco

Just to add (to get my share of thanks!), I'd actually bump down UK because UK-LU is not very "far" latency wise but having something further east will make a boat load of difference for users (and anycast).

So my order would be:

1. Singapore/India (latency wise both are very comparable from EU +/- 25ms)
    2. Australia
    3. Japan
    4. UK

I wouldn't even go with Hong Kong under the circumstances, esp. when Singapore is in the reckoning. Japan and Singapore should cover all bases.

I think UK would be nicer than LUX only because of likely significantly better network IX/peering. I'm not so sure on the freedom-of-speech thing though (I guess LU is strong on privacy?)

I won't even go into cost on the above - they're all likely very expensive in APAC.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said: Something like Hurricane or similar would be a good pick. The main ISP in the country is restrictive peering, even on the IX. Kind of a shame but what can you do. I'll do some traces later and see if HE peers with them and we can use that to get to them nicely.

That would be cool. Most of my traffic is with DTAG (unfortunately) and Cogent goes into the kbytes/s speeds with them at peak times. While I do not demand direct peering with them and their draconian requisites, anything that might help transiting to them would hwlp.

Besides that, keep up with the great work!

edited December 2020

@nullnothere said: I think UK would be nicer than LUX only because of likely significantly better network IX/peering. I'm not so sure on the freedom-of-speech thing though (I guess LU is strong on privacy?)

I won't even go into cost on the above - they're all likely very expensive in APAC.

UK is pretty nationalistic, it seems people like to shop local, and host local. I've had plenty of people ask for a UK location. If anything it'll help take some stock pressure off LUX and both POP's would prosper I think.

I think Singapore would do well for us but I have serious reservations with their censorship laws.

@nullnothere said: I won't even go into cost on the above - they're all likely very expensive in APAC.

APAC will require that we put bandwidth caps in place which means new coding for Stallion since we basically gutted all the bandwidth accounting stuff that we had from the
    OVZ days. Going into APAC with our unmetered ways will lead to a lot of crying from me.

@sgheghele said: That would be cool. Most of my traffic is with DTAG (unfortunately) and Cogent goes into the kbytes/s speeds with them at peak times. While I do not demand direct peering with them and their draconian requisites, anything that might help transiting to them would hwlp.

Don't hesitate to let me know your ideas on the best way to deal with DTAG ;)

As I said, this year is focused on improving the product as a whole.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@sgheghele said: That would be cool. Most of my traffic is with DTAG (unfortunately) and Cogent goes into the kbytes/s speeds with them at peak times. While I do not demand direct peering with them and their draconian requisites, anything that might help transiting to them would hwlp.

The only way to deal with DTAG is to pay them. You either pay them foor peering or for full transit. Gotta love that double dipping.

That said, the Cogent-only network in LUX is the main reason that I cancelled my services last year. It's not particularly good (and I'm afraid Cogent is the main reason here).

@debaser said: That said, the Cogent-only network in LUX is the main reason that I cancelled my services last year. It's not particularly good (and I'm afraid Cogent is the main reason here).

That's fair :) If you could do me a favor snag our speedtest during the times you think it'll be crappy and lets see if that's still the case. Very much want to improve things.

L3, HE, Cogent, NTT, Telia, TATA, & supposedly GTT soon, are all on-net. Some of those won't happen since paying for a flat 10gig of L3/NTT/Telia for TOR/Torrents is a pretty silly idea.

Francisco

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited December 2020

@debaser said:

@Francisco said:

The only way to deal with DTAG is to pay them. You either pay them foor peering or for full transit. Gotta love that double dipping.

That said, the Cogent-only network in LUX is the main reason that I cancelled my services last year. It's not particularly good (and I'm afraid Cogent is the main reason here).

Same, I seem to remember that you are from / deal with the Netherlands, so you are also close to the LUX location. Cogent does not perform well in most of Europe, DTAG or not.

As for DTAG, there are several providers that offer transit to DTAG, Hetzner used to use Core-Backbone. I don't know which ones reach BuyVM datacenter, and I do not know at which prices, but perhaps there is something good out there.

• Somewhere APAC. UK is breads and butter basic.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said:

@debaser said: That said, the Cogent-only network in LUX is the main reason that I cancelled my services last year. It's not particularly good (and I'm afraid Cogent is the main reason here).

That's fair :) If you could do me a favor snag our speedtest during the times you think it'll be crappy and lets see if that's still the case. Very much want to improve things.

Will do, probably tonight CET.

L3, HE, Cogent, NTT, Telia, TATA, & supposedly GTT soon, are all on-net. Some of those won't happen since paying for a flat 10gig of L3/NTT/Telia for TOR/Torrents is a pretty silly idea.

To be honest, I'd think that adding HE would be a big difference. Wouldn't really need Level(3) for that :tongue:

@sgheghele said:

Same, I seem to remember that you are from / deal with the Netherlands, so you are also close to the LUX location. Cogent does not perform well in most of Europe, DTAG or not.

Jup, from The Netherlands. I have to say, traffic that goes through Cogent to Frankfurt is okay. Can max out my connection with that. But the combination Cogent and Luxembourg isn't the best. It's actually a one way street in and out of Frankfurt and that might just be the bottle neck. I know that Level(3) connects Luxembourg through both Brussels and Frankfurt. They might be the only one to do that though, don't know.

Thanked by 1MaxKVM
  • debaserdebaser Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said:

See below. It’s been worse IIRC, but it still isn’t particularly good. This is done on a 500 Mbps connection. Speed varied wildly throughout the download. Starting around 200 Mbps, almost reaching 500 and dropping back to 30 Mbps. Average is about 90 Mbps.

--2020-12-07 18:52:43-- https://speedtest.lu.buyvm.net/1000MB.test Connecting to speedtest.lu.buyvm.net (speedtest.lu.buyvm.net)|104.244.76.191|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 1000000000 (954M) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: '/dev/null' /dev/null 100%[======================================>] 953.67M 11.2MB/s in 1m 40s

Routing is from my ISP is through GTT and Cogent (interconnection in AMS), ingress rout is Cogent - LGI (in FRA) - my ISP.

@debaser said: Routing is from my ISP is through GTT and Cogent (interconnection in AMS), ingress rout is Cogent - LGI (in FRA) - my ISP.

Lets see how things improve once Ryzen's up. The node that's hosting the speedtest only has a 1Gbit port but it's sharing it with all the users on said node.

Anyway, thanks.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@debaser said: Routing is from my ISP is through GTT and Cogent (interconnection in AMS), ingress rout is Cogent - LGI (in FRA) - my ISP.

Lets see how things improve once Ryzen's up. The node that's hosting the speedtest only has a 1Gbit port but it's sharing it with all the users on said node.

I’ll keep an eye on it.

• First consider adding the Asian region, because there is no Asian region yet.
    The as174 line is of poor quality and often congested.

Thanked by 1zenki

@winer said:
    First consider adding the Asian region, because there is no Asian region yet.

We'll be joining LU-CIX in Luxembourg in a couple weeks :) I'm just finishing the paper work. That'll give us HE peering and some others. Once we have an idea of our usage there we'll look for another ISP for user traffic. Telia maybe? I've heard good things about RETN but I'd have to go to France/Germany to get it I think.

For Las Vegas I'm not sure what to get to improve China routes. GIA/CN2 is sold out. Some people say GTT is good to China but I've not been able to confirm that.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@winer said:
    First consider adding the Asian region, because there is no Asian region yet.

We'll be joining LU-CIX in Luxembourg in a couple weeks :) I'm just finishing the paper work. That'll give us HE peering and some others. Once we have an idea of our usage there we'll look for another ISP for user traffic. Telia maybe? I've heard good things about RETN but I'd have to go to France/Germany to get it I think.

For Las Vegas I'm not sure what to get to improve China routes. GIA/CN2 is sold out. Some people say GTT is good to China but I've not been able to confirm that.

Francisco

gtt tested that it is sometimes not very congested.

• Oversold, avoid :D

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • @vedran said:
    Oversold, avoid :D

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=add&pid=1423

Sold :s :s

So hard to wait for LU

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said: We'll be joining LU-CIX in Luxembourg in a couple weeks I'm just finishing the paper work. That'll give us HE peering and some others. Once we have an idea of our usage there we'll look for another ISP for user traffic. Telia maybe? I've heard good things about RETN but I'd have to go to France/Germany to get it I think.

Great news. :)

BTW, just HE peering or transit as well?

From my experience (based in Germany) both Telia and RETN are able to provide solid connectivity including towards major German ISPs. Probably Telia will be slightly more expensive so you may get a bigger pipe with RETN at the same price. While Telia's presence in LUX is backhauled to Frankfurt and Paris, RETN doesn't have own lines to Luxembourg according to their network map. Hard to say which choice will lead to better user experience.

@dfroe said:

@Francisco said: We'll be joining LU-CIX in Luxembourg in a couple weeks I'm just finishing the paper work. That'll give us HE peering and some others. Once we have an idea of our usage there we'll look for another ISP for user traffic. Telia maybe? I've heard good things about RETN but I'd have to go to France/Germany to get it I think.

From my experience (based in Germany) both Telia and RETN are able to provide solid connectivity including towards major German ISPs. Probably Telia will be slightly more expensive so you may get a bigger pipe with RETN at the same price. While Telia's presence in LUX is backhauled to Frankfurt and Paris, RETN doesn't have own lines to Luxembourg according to their network map. Hard to say which choice will lead to better user experience.

Peering for now. I dont think HE transit will be great to EU eyeballs which is what I would want for a 2nd transit.

Right, if I want RETN ill need to backhaul it from somewhere else. Telia is on net and even in the building.

Just need to get someone at Talia to return an email :)

Francisco

• In Fran we trust.

• EddingEdding Member
    edited December 2020

@Francisco said:

@dfroe said:

Peering for now. I dont think HE transit will be great to EU eyeballs which is what I would want for a 2nd transit.

Right, if I want RETN ill need to backhaul it from somewhere else. Telia is on net and even in the building.

Just need to get someone at Talia to return an email :)

Francisco

well if u need transit to Deutsche Telekom AS3320 ( Germany )i can recommend without Capacity issues https://www.core-backbone.com/en/standorte/ the other big Tier 1 have hugh issues

@Edding said: well if u need transit to Deutsche Telekom AS3320 ( Germany )i can recommend without Capacity issues https://www.core-backbone.com/en/standorte/ the other big Tier 1 have hugh issues

For sure going to be a lot of research about to happen :)

Basically we're getting n LU-CIX to drop peering to HE. I have no doubt we'll drop 3 - 5Gbit of our usage on the IX alone. There's no reason for me to pay Telia/RETN/CB for that transit.

I got a fair/good offer from iptransit.com which is Telia/NTT/Cogent/HE/L3, but the length of the AS path (at least 1 - 2 AS' addition) is going to end with me having to prepend all over the place to make it usable.

Francisco

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Edding said: well if u need transit to Deutsche Telekom AS3320 ( Germany )i can recommend without Capacity issues https://www.core-backbone.com/en/standorte/ the other big Tier 1 have hugh issues

Well, if you live in Germany and need good connectivity to the world, you better chose an ISP != DTAG. ;) Which I know isn't easy sometimes. But you can't expect everyone to double pay DTAG, just because they refuse open peerings on DE-CIX like everyone else. I don't see a Core-Backbone PoP in LUX anyways. ;)

Dropping a significant amount of bandwidth on IX' is of course the best you can do. I am surprised to see so many attractive members on LU-CIX for your traffic mix. Importing everything you can get from IX, having Cogent for AS' directly connected to them and maybe Telia for everything else; just thinking out loud, but doesn't sound bad. :)

• Just wondering in the EU who are the problematic ISP for peering etc.

I know Deutschland telekom are.

@dfroe said: Dropping a significant amount of bandwidth on IX' is of course the best you can do. I am surprised to see so many attractive members on LU-CIX for your traffic mix. Importing everything you can get from IX, having Cogent for AS' directly connected to them and maybe Telia for everything else; just thinking out loud, but doesn't sound bad.

There's some good ones on the RS and i'll press to get peering with the half dozen or so ISP's that aren't. I'll probably be able to get most of them. I think the only problem spot could be Orange.

Hauling from another country isn't a big deal, assuming transport cost isn't wild. CB or RETN could both be good choices depending on their $/mbit.

The IPTransit mix is great but I know it's going to be a fight to get it to mix well.

Francisco