Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Question] Looking for a worthy substitution to my current Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Question] Looking for a worthy substitution to my current Dedicated Server

I need help from this great community.

I rent this dedicated server from Liquid Web:

Processor:
Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2 3.1GHZ, Quad Core

RAM:
16GB DDR3 SDRAM

HD:
256GB SSD + 1TB SATA

It has 70 sites in it, 45 are on WordPress, the rest are static (I converted them to save on resources). Four sites are high traffic, which sometimes brings the server to its knees. It's on Cpanel, btw.

I want the equivalent to that dedicated server in a VPS server. So that I can add a little more power, for better performance. I'm confident that even then, I would paying way less than what I'm paying right now.
I would also dump Cpanel for something more modern, like Runcloud.

I've been looking at this dedicated KVM Slice server from BuyVM:

Processor:
RYZEN KVM 4 Cores @ 3.50+ GHz (don't know the model)

RAM:
16GB

HD:
320GB "pure" SSD

Are they comparable? I mean, just by the numbers, they seem to be, but like I said I have no experience with VPS.

Comments

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@webbasica said:

Processor:

RAM:
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM

HD:
    256GB SSD + 1TB SATA

It has 70 sites in it, 45 are on WordPress, the rest are static (I converted them to save on resources). Four sites are high traffic, which sometimes brings the server to its knees. It's on Cpanel, btw.

I want the equivalent to that dedicated server in a VPS server. So that I can add a little more power, for better performance. I'm confident that even then, I would paying way less than what I'm paying right now.

Processor:

RAM:
    16GB

HD:
    320GB "pure" SSD

Are they comparable? I mean, just by the numbers, they seem to be, but like I said I have no experience with VPS.

Ryzen would be certainly better than the 1220.
    BuyVM is rock solid.

Thanked by 1webbasica
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

@webbasica said:

You would get a free DirectAdmin with them, which is a great alternative to cPanel.

• BuyVM is certainly a good option - Out of interest on your dedi is the 1TB HDD actually utilised currently or are you just using the SSD?

• Take a look at netcup root vps if you are going for vps. This is from their 4 dedi core package :

root@www:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script
    v2020-11-20
    https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Mon 30 Nov 2020 08:09:04 PM CET

Basic System Information:
    Processor : AMD EPYC 7702P 64-Core Processor
    CPU cores : 4 @ 1996.249 MHz
    AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM : 15.7 GiB
    Swap : 0.0 KiB
    Disk : 314.9 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 155.42 MB/s (38.8k) 1.52 GB/s (23.8k)
    Write 155.83 MB/s (38.9k) 1.53 GB/s (24.0k)
    Total 311.26 MB/s (77.8k) 3.06 GB/s (47.9k)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 3.39 GB/s (6.6k) 3.48 GB/s (3.4k)
    Write 3.57 GB/s (6.9k) 3.71 GB/s (3.6k)
    Total 6.97 GB/s (13.6k) 7.20 GB/s (7.0k)
    iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 2.06 Gbits/sec | 2.37 Gbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.52 Gbits/sec | 2.36 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 2.12 Gbits/sec | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Biznet | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G) | busy | busy
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 509 Mbits/sec | 1.73 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 448 Mbits/sec | 2.02 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 475 Mbits/sec | 1.02 Gbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
    | | |
    Clouvider | London, UK (10G) | 1.55 Gbits/sec | 2.32 Gbits/sec
    Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.53 Gbits/sec | 2.32 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream | The Netherlands (10G) | 1.75 Gbits/sec | 2.32 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | NYC, NY, US (10G) | 632 Mbits/sec | 1.41 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 404 Mbits/sec | 742 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test | Value
    |
    Single Core | 1034
    Multi Core | 3866
    Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5085625

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@webbasica said:

Processor:

RAM:
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM

HD:
    256GB SSD + 1TB SATA

Processor:

RAM:
    16GB

HD:
    320GB "pure" SSD

May I know how much you're paying right now ? How much performance increase you can get depends on that.

• You can’t got wrong with BuyVM. The SSD is actually NVMe and with the Ryzen CPU (only NYC and LV but LUX coming soon) it will outperform the E3-1220. If your using the 1TB HDD for backups you can attach block storage to the VM easily as well and only $5/m or automatic backups for $6/m on the 16GB. You will have to check with @Francisco but I think they offer management as well on VM above $30/m

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@LeonDynamic said:
    You can’t got wrong with BuyVM. The SSD is actually NVMe and with the Ryzen CPU (only NYC and LV but LUX coming soon) it will outperform the E3-1220. If your using the 1TB HDD for backups you can attach block storage to the VM easily as well and only $5/m or automatic backups for $6/m on the 16GB. You will have to check with @Francisco but I think they offer management as well on VM above $30/m

Yes to everything said here :)

Francisco

• @XiNiX said:
    You would get a free DirectAdmin with them, which is a great alternative to cPanel.

No thanks. Honestly, I want something lean and easily updatable. Runcloud seems to be self-managed in that regard.

@WSCallum said:
    BuyVM is certainly a good option - Out of interest on your dedi is the 1TB HDD actually utilised currently or are you just using the SSD?

I'm using both. The SSD for the OS and the HDD for the backups. That's actually one thing I'm gonna miss, the present provider has a great backup solution (daily, weekly and monthly for each account)

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    May I know how much you're paying right now ? How much performance increase you can get depends on that.

I'm paying $200. It's a managed dedicated server at Liquid Web. Running CentOS 6. If I want the CentOS 7, they would have to move me to a "better" more expensive server, which I don't want.

@LeonDynamic said:
    You can’t got wrong with BuyVM. The SSD is actually NVMe and with the Ryzen CPU (only NYC and LV but LUX coming soon) it will outperform the E3-1220. If your using the 1TB HDD for backups you can attach block storage to the VM easily as well and only $5/m or automatic backups for $6/m on the 16GB. You will have to check with @Francisco but I think they offer management as well on VM above $30/m

That's basically my plan. But I'm trying to confirm this is a realistic plan, and since I have absolutely no experience with VPS, ergo my question here.

@Francisco said:
    Yes to everything said here :)

Francisco

And if this setup proves to be lacking, how easy is to upgrade to something better?

@webbasica said: And if this setup proves to be lacking, how easy is to upgrade to something better?

couple minutes of downtime and some of your hard earned money.

No reinstalls needed.

Francisco

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:

I'm paying $200. It's a managed dedicated server at Liquid Web. Running CentOS 6. If I want the CentOS 7, they would have to move me to a "better" more expensive server, which I don't want.

I would recommend php-friends (https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd) their vServers are top notch at the price point.

• @Francisco said:

@webbasica said: And if this setup proves to be lacking, how easy is to upgrade to something better?

No reinstalls needed.

Francisco

Can I get someone to guide me through the whole process? Not for free of course, but someone who can make sure I don't break 70 sites because this is the first time I'm touching a VPS without Cpanel

@webbasica said:

@Francisco said:

No reinstalls needed.

Francisco

Can I get someone to guide me through the whole process? Not for free of course, but someone who can make sure I don't break 70 sites because this is the first time I'm touching a VPS without Cpanel

Sure you can ask in ticket or we'll do it for you at no additional cost.

We can help you migrate your sites from cPanel as well (assuming that's where they are).

We're here to help :)

Francisco

• Sounds great. I'm basically migrating from a WHM/Cpanel dedicated server to a VPS, with Runloud on top.
    So I just buy the VPS and send a ticket mentioning this thread?

@webbasica said:
    Sounds great. I'm basically migrating from a WHM/Cpanel dedicated server to a VPS, with Runloud on top.
    So I just buy the VPS and send a ticket mentioning this thread?

Ah I didn't notice you're going to runcloud, there's no easy migration for that, you'd have to load each up.

Directadmin not tickle your fancy?

Francisco

• how will you manage your client billing, since you moving out of WHM, I hope you thought of this.
    does runcloud support billing? never used it.

• @Francisco said:
    Ah I didn't notice you're going to runcloud, there's no easy migration for that, you'd have to load each up.

Sadly no. One of the reasons I want to switch is that I want to try the modern panels. Runcloud seems mature enough.
    What kind of help can you provide if I go with Runcloud?

@mezoology said:
    how will you manage your client billing, since you moving out of WHM, I hope you thought of this.

I have never used the business side of WHM. One of the reasons I want to dump it, I'm paying for so much crap I never use

@webbasica said: Sadly no. One of the reasons I want to switch is that I want to try the modern panels. Runcloud seems mature enough.

I have basically no experience with it.

You'd likely be missing out on things like lscache with Litespeed which help greatly.

Directadmin includes OpenLitespeed for free.

Francisco

• @webbasica said:

@Francisco said:

Sadly no. One of the reasons I want to switch is that I want to try the modern panels. Runcloud seems mature enough.

@mezoology said:
    how will you manage your client billing, since you moving out of WHM, I hope you thought of this.

I have never used the business side of WHM. One of the reasons I want to dump it, I'm paying for so much crap I never use

Beyond initial provisioning, I really don't see how @Francisco can help with migration to a portal that they don't work with, or support out of the box. You'd be better off contacting https://runcloud.io/migration for general tips and recommendations before beginning the process of migrating your websites.

Worried about losing valuable data during your migration? Not to worry! At RunCloud, our support team will assist you to migrate for your first web app for FREE! Normal price: $20!

• @Francisco said:

I have basically no experience with it.

You'd likely be missing out on things like lscache with Litespeed which help greatly.

Directadmin includes OpenLitespeed for free.

I'm hoping NGINX is as as good, if not better (which Runcloud supports). Either way, anything is faster than plain Apache (Cpanel's choice).

@webbasica said: I'm hoping NGINX is as as good, if not better (which Runcloud supports). Either way, anything is faster than plain Apache (Cpanel's choice).

Litespeed cache for Wordpress is bloody well perfect.

You don't need any additional integration to make it work like you would nginx. You just install the plugin in wordpress and go.

Francisco

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

@webbasica I must say you are going to do a mistake.

1- By choosing runcloud you are opening a door for vulnerability. Means that if their SaaS gets compromised, your server will be compromised.

2- You are going to run production sites with a SaaS panel that you have never used.

3- You are going to literally **SUFFER **when trying to migrate 70 websites manually and then you will have to make sure all of them are functional one by one. RunCloud is not the platform to do this. You are giving away things like CloudLinux CageFS, Litespeed Web Server, etc, proven tools that are essential to run shared hosting. Can't imagine running so many websites without CageFS to limit compromised security of one site from jumping another website hosted in the same server.

With DirectAdmin you have:
    1- Full control
    2- In need of help you will find more experienced admins available.
    3- Your provider, BuyVM would be able to help you migrating, as there is an easy migration tool from cPanel to DA.
    4- You have more ways to customize your server and improve performance. DA support many configs. Apache, Nginx+Apache , Nginx, OpenLitespeed, etc.

Because something is controlled by a third party, looks fancy and is SaaS doesn't mean is "modern". If anything there is a considerable high risk when you outsource the server management to a SaaS script. Single point of failure for anything.

If runcloud decides to close shop tomorrow after you migrate 70 websites, what are you going to do? Means no access to that SaaS control panel.

DirectAdmin is a veteran in the market. That admin panel has been in service for quite a while and they keep getting better every time.

You would also be giving up DA's API, good for integration with other tools.

More importantly DA is free on BuyVM. Full license, no limit by account.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • @Hxxx said:
    @webbasica I must say you are going to do a mistake.

1- By choosing runcloud you are opening a door for vulnerability. Means that if their SaaS gets compromised, your server will be compromised.

2- You are going to run production sites with a SaaS panel that you have never used.

3- You are going to literally **SUFFER **when trying to migrate 70 websites manually and then you will have to make sure all of them are functional one by one. RunCloud is not the platform to do this. You are giving away things like CloudLinux CageFS, Litespeed Web Server, etc, proven tools that are essential to run shared hosting. Can't imagine running so many websites without CageFS to limit compromised security of one site from jumping another website hosted in the same server.

With DirectAdmin you have:
    1- Full control
    2- In need of help you will find more experienced admins available.
    3- Your provider, BuyVM would be able to help you migrating, as there is an easy migration tool from cPanel to DA.
    4- You have more ways to customize your server and improve performance. DA support many configs. Apache, Nginx+Apache , Nginx, OpenLitespeed, etc.

Because something is controlled by a third party, looks fancy and is SaaS doesn't mean is "modern". If anything there is a considerable high risk when you outsource the server management to a SaaS script. Single point of failure for anything.

If runcloud decides to close shop tomorrow after you migrate 70 websites, what are you going to do? Means no access to that SaaS control panel.

DirectAdmin is a veteran in the market. That admin panel has been in service for quite a while and they keep getting better every time.

You would also be giving up DA's API, good for integration with other tools.

More importantly DA is free on BuyVM. Full license, no limit by account.

Thanks for your input, it really makes me wonder if I'm doing a mistake. In that vein, let me share a little context, perhaps you can enlighten me further.

I run a somewhat unusual hosting business. I don't give access to my clients to Cpanel. Most of the time, not even to their WordPress Dashboard. And I take care of all WordPress updates myself, so in a way is more like a managed WordPress hosting (without the extra price).
    Also, as you probably already noticed, I'm not a Server admin. That's why I pay so much for a Managed dedicated server. I almost never use support, unless a site goes unresponsive (which usually happens because of poor optimization by Cpanel default modules).
    After so many years stuck in this situation, I decided to go with a simplified, no frills, no whistles kind of Panel that can update itself. Geared toward hosting WordPress and nothing more. That way, I don't have to pay a premium for a "Full control" Panel I don't use. I prefer to spend that money on a better stack (ie Nginx).

Having said that, I confess 'm now looking into Directadmin and its optimization towards WordPress hosting. I thought only Cyberpanel was using OpenLiteSpeed by default.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

@webbasica
    Well if you are not an admin and don't want to deal with servers, I would say... then just go with a shared hosting reseller account on a decent provider. Done... no management of servers.

Francisco/BuyVM/BuyShared also provides shared hosting and reseller accounts, they also use DirectAdmin, CloudLinux, Litespeed, etc, so you are pretty much taken care.

Those wordpress loads you mentioned, probably gets solved when you install LSCACHE and your website is ran on Litespeed. That thing shreds.

• @Hxxx
    That would be waaaaaay too expensive

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

@webbasica really? lets do math...
    A reseller from BuyShared , same company as BuyVM, which is Frantech .

Let's go with the biggest one RESELLER 125G,
    125GB of NVME SSD Space, no BW limit, no account limit (that bs of cPanel charging by account, that doesnt exist here with DirectAdmin).

That's 7 dollars a month broooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You could buy like 50 of these reseller accounts that doesnt have a limit of how many accounts you can have on them, with what you pay currently LOL.

Thanked by 1K4Y5
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2020

In summary if you are paying like $250 for your dedi and your websites mostly are static and just 4 wp's unoptimized and you are using less than 100GB space then... pretty much you could replace all that with $7/mo if decide to use buyshared.

Even if you decide to go with another provider you will still make a big cut of what you pay monthly if you decide to go with a service that provides reseller shared hosting with direct admin control panel.

• @Hxxx said:
    In summary if you are paying like $250 for your dedi and your websites mostly are static and just 4 wp's unoptimized and you are using less than 100GB space then... pretty much you could replace all that with $7/mo if decide to use buyshared.

Even if you decide to go with another provider you will still make a big cut of what you pay monthly if you decide to go with a service that provides reseller shared hosting with direct admin control panel.

I used to have a reseller account. For one thing, 200GB (plus backup space) is way more than what a reseller plan usually offers.
    For another, like I said, 4 sites are really traffic heavy. It makes sense to host them on a shared server if I'm the one managing all the sites, because I know they sometimes use the whole server resources. But in a shared environment, I have no control over that, the outages would be constant (which is btw, the reason I decided to make the jump to a dedicated server).

• @webbasica I've heard that Frantech do managed servers as long as the VM you buy is bigger than 8GB. You mentioned you are looking for a Ryzen Slice with 16GB RAM... Talk with @Francisco , I'm sure you can open a ticket when you have issues or needs of updating DA, one of the techs will take care of it. Ask first of course, confirm.

Thanked by 1webbasica

@Hxxx said:
    @webbasica I've heard that Frantech do managed servers as long as the VM you buy is bigger than 8GB. You mentioned you are looking for a Ryzen Slice with 16GB RAM... Talk with @Francisco , I'm sure you can open a ticket when you have issues or needs of updating DA, one of the techs will take care of it. Ask first of course, confirm.

Exactly right, we do management on 8GB+ slices.

Francisco

Thanked by 1webbasica
  • DianTamaDianTama Member
    edited December 2020

@webbasica

Just for additional input.
    I use WordPress on my website, it has huge traffic and it runs on a Dedicated Server.

Recently I just move out from WHM/cPanel to DirectAdmin, and on my new Server, I pair it with Litespeed and it was faster than normal apache / Nginx.

The downside is, if you have 0 experience in server admin, you might need to look around for a bit. But since Francisco is offering you a free migration & even a managed server on 8GB+ Slice.

My suggestion just go with DirectAdmin + OpenLiteSpeed ( Litespeed ), because they have plenty of customization options depending on your need

Thanked by 1webbasica