Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I know how much power I need?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I know how much power I need?

sgno1sgno1 Member
edited November 2020 in Requests

Hi there

My friend has a streaming platform of a sort. The videos won't be served directly from the main server - meaning that other providers will be providing video links i.e. embeds etc. It's like a social media platform but the videos are hosted off-site just embedded in.

Just wondering what type of power he would need to be able to run such a site which currently gets 20,000 unique visitors per month, currently it's running on a:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 3 vCores @ 3.60+ GHz
6 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
84 GB NVMe Storage
Unmetered Bandwidth @ 1 Gbit/s (shared)
1 IPv4 Address

NGINX, PHP

Which runs decently well. I was wondering if he could potentially downgrade further and still be able to handle more visitors near the future? What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

What is the current average server load?

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2020

@NetDynamics24 said:
    What is the current average server load?

RAM: 371M/5.82G
    Load average: 0.03 0.03 0.00
    Tasks: 34, 63 thr; 1 running

• I don't completely understand the description of what the server is doing but that load suggests it's not intensive in the slightest. Simply serving static files doesn't tend to use much cpu power at all unless you get a ridiculous amount of active visitors.
    Assuming the load isn't going to spike a huge amount sometimes (Few minutes of 20x load on a busy day for example) I think it would be perfectly fine to downscale cpu and memory resources a fair amount.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • edited November 2020

RAM: 371M/5.82G

That doesn't say much - most of the memory will likely be cache that can be freed as soon as something else needs it. The fuill output of free -m (assuming Linux) would be more useful.

Load average: 0.03 0.03 0.00

That suggests it is barely doing anything right now, and has barely done anything over the last 15 minutes. As close to nothing as makes no odds in fact. But obviously that won't always be the case - you need to look at the load during busy times. If not done already, install some load monitoring tool to log CPU, RAM, IO, and network load, over time. That will help find your peak times and the requirements during those times.

Thanked by 3Erisa sgno1 Kassem
  • sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2020
                         total             used           free      shared      buff/cache      available
       Mem:                 5960            417            5068        3            474         5315
       Swap:                  0               0               0

• @Erisa said:
    I don't completely understand the description of what the server is doing but that load suggests it's not intensive in the slightest. Simply serving static files doesn't tend to use much cpu power at all unless you get a ridiculous amount of active visitors.
    Assuming the load isn't going to spike a huge amount sometimes (Few minutes of 20x load on a busy day for example) I think it would be perfectly fine to downscale cpu and memory resources a fair amount.

Yes, basically running an SPA. Just worried about visitors coming at once. Not sure how it works and how much load it would have on the server. Is there any way to figure that out?

• Dont fix something that aint broken! However, you can probably scale this down to even 1 core cpu and like 2gb of ram. I like to start there with providers who allow me to upgrade on the fly later, and upgrade if you feel the webpage is getting slow. Cloudflare could also take alot of the load of the server.

• @Barnesanger said:
    Dont fix something that aint broken! However, you can probably scale this down to even 1 core cpu and like 2gb of ram. I like to start there with providers who allow me to upgrade on the fly later, and upgrade if you feel the webpage is getting slow. Cloudflare could also take alot of the load of the server.

Thanks a lot, I think I'll give the 2G package a shot :)