Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If these are LowEnd VPS, then which providers are high end?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If these are LowEnd VPS, then which providers are high end?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, seems like a nice place. I have been a customer of linode for about 5 years and happy with them. I recently started a few new projects and decided to take a fresh look at VPS options, only to find many new vps companies, and lots of new pricing options.

My question is, if many of the VPS hosting companies on this site are considered "lowend", then which groups are now considered "highend"?

Would the only real highend VPS companies be the likes of AWS and Rackspace? Would Linode and DO be considered medium end? Most of the VPS hosting companies I see fit pricing/power options similar to what is on LET, but I am just wondering what VPS companies you would really not consider LowEnd.

Best,
-Adam

Comments

• lukasubolukasubo Member
    edited November 2013

These days, "Low End" no longer refers to specs or quality, but to price. For an offer to be posted here, it must cost less than 7$/month if it's a VPS or less than 49$/month if it's a dedicated server.

Welcome to the forum (I haven't been here too long myself)!

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2013

@adamMc said:

I see fit pricing/power options similar to what is on LET, but I am just wondering what VPS companies you would really not consider LowEnd.

To start with more known names: WiredTree, KnownHost, LiquidWeb.. where client doesn't pay just fully managed service and guaranted fast support response but supposedly peace of mind without need to invest own time and (often) insufficient skills to manage server by himself.

• previously, lowend means low resource (e.g. 64mb ram, 5gb disk). not really low on quality

• ROcketVps is a bit cheaper: http://www.rocketvps.com/vps.html

• These days, low-end in my mind means, $3/Month or lower with 512MB or more Ram.

• Low End now basically means your provider is usually a small (less than 10 men) company or even an individual, providing you with VPS service that cost you a quarter of the price you pay to long-known and middle ranged providers (e.g. Linode and Hostvirtual).

Low End doesn't mean low quality, while obviously the average quality of the market's service is lower than the providers you pay $20 a month to (I believe no one can object on this), there are great providers who can minimize their expense while providing great quality of service (eg. Ramnode and BuyVM).

On the other hand, there is always a risk of deadpooling and company vapourization taking place on any providers in the low end market. I don't mean that there's no such thing in well-grown $20+/mo market, but here, you need to pay extra caution when placing orders, just to keep yourself off from deadpooling and scamming.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • high end should be like Linode?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@JerryHou said:
    high end should be like Linode?

Many providers here offer quality at the Linode levels.
    Many are over DO even.
    It depends what are you looking for, in case of managed services, that is unlikely to happen because prces are low but if you know what you are doing, you should be able to find great quality, get 3x the specs you would get on linode for the same money and setup redundancy with rage4 or dns4.pro for the leftover change across providers and continents for a truly unbreakable setup.

• @jcaleb said:
    previously, lowend means low resource (e.g. 64mb ram, 5gb disk). not really low on quality

Really? That's what it meant? So who would want such a server, I mean aren't servers supposed to be generally more powerful than your average computer

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    Really? That's what it meant? So who would want such a server, I mean aren't servers supposed to be generally more powerful than your average computer

Servers are supposed to serve.
    If it can do the job with those specs, why not, you can take advantage of it and have a cheap presence on the internet in another country.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:

That was the fun of having lowend boxes. Excitement, challenge and what not. Plus, you probably can't use your home computer 247 or on the go. Not to mention, host your site and forget about basic issues.

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said: Really? That's what it meant? So who would want such a server, I mean aren't servers supposed to be generally more powerful than your average computer

I'd think a reverse proxy on that or a 128mb would work for many small websites, there is few other small overhead apps that would probably work too. I wouldn't say lowend is necessarily that small either though, I've seen some 4mb plans for around 7 bucks or less a month on here and that's a good sized vps.

But yeah, when I think of a server, as in a dedicated server, I think of more horsepower than gramps emachine that he'd use for email.

• BuyCPanel_Kevin said: Really? That's what it meant? So who would want such a server, I mean aren't servers supposed to be generally more powerful than your average computer

yes, if you will check early days of leb

• @BuyCPanel_Kevin said:

http://lowendbox.com/blog/5-reasons-why-you-want-a-low-end-box/

• Lowend and highend just means price nowadays in this forum- not necessarily implying quality because lowend vps can sometimes perform better than highend and highend can sometimes perform poorly.

So the highend priced names I shall probably take a look at is digitalocean, linode etc. if I have the money.

vampireJ said: I shall probably take a look at is digitalocean, linode etc. if I have the money.

Digital Ocean is free.

Thanked by 1Saiku
  • Maounique said: Digital Ocean is free.

That's not what their website says. Looks like middle-of-the-road lowend pricing.

Yes, but many people here managed to use it free for months so if you know what you are doing and willing to cheat, DO is free.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Free $60 credits? :D

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2013

Low end is 16 MB RAM with 66 MHz CPU. Wait no, that's high end, it runs Windows.

Windows 98

• @perennate said: Low end is 16 MB RAM with 66 MHz CPU. Wait no, that's high end, it runs Windows.

“640K of memory should be enough for anybody.” - Bill Gates

• bashedbashed Member
    edited November 2013

I got the free $10 from DO how you get 60? Too early to know how they differ from low end providers. Their droplet system is kind of nice easy to use but i don't need any cloud aws like services. They been investing money in tv commercials looks like they doing well? They do have some helpful guides too on their website

• Linode.com / catalysthost.com are a few off the top of my head.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments and answering my question. It is interesting to here that lowend here refers to price not specs.

• Best Hi-end I've used is LiquidWeb.

• @locnh, I have never been to LiquidWeb's site. Wow they are crazy expensive for a 1GB unmanaged VPS. I wonder how they can make sales in such a saturated market. What was "best" about them?

@adamMc said:
    locnh, I have never been to LiquidWeb's site. Wow they are crazy expensive for a 1GB unmanaged VPS. I wonder how they can make sales in such a saturated market. What was "best" about them?

For most people, price is not everything, they do not know how to setup redundant sites and services, have no idea how to look for reviews of cheaper services and will gladly give 3-4 times more money for the same deal for extra stability and laziness/lack of time.

• locnhlocnh Member
    edited November 2013

@adamMc: customer service. LW Staff will satisfy you in 1 minute (60s), everything you need. And my founders at PickVPS is building our company like that, to be not just only a helper, to be a consultant.