Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to share password to client?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to share password to client?

Hello,

I would like share password to my client in safe way.
Did you know some software, self hosted to do that?
My client are very dummy so I need something simple like an excel file.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• Bitwarden

• @Calvin said:
    Bitwarden

interesting..i'm watching site..can you tell me your review?

• Bitwarden is good

For your case, you can also use keepassxc. Create password database file, send it to the client, and send master password securely

• @chiccorosso said:

@Calvin said:
    Bitwarden

interesting..i'm watching site..can you tell me your review?

You can create Organizations and share password with other people
    It's open source so you can self-host it. Here's the lightweight version https://github.com/dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs

• If it's just for a single use I may suggest using a self-hosted PrivateBin instance with the "Destroy after read" option active.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Pixels said:
    If it's just for a single use I may suggest using a self-hosted PrivateBin instance with the "Destroy after read" option active.

Wouldn’t the bowser potentially save the result in the temp files on the computer ? That defeats the purpose in that case.

Thanked by 1jugganuts
  • Asymmetric encryption.

• Interesting pastebin...because bitwarden i dont think it s for my case. Bitwarden not share password.

• You are missing the obvious; KISS - fax it to him/her.

Thanked by 2chiccorosso lokuzard
  • You can host something like - https://github.com/PrivateBin/PrivateBin
    Then just email them the link.

Thanked by 1chiccorosso
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Via credit/debit card charge as PayPal does with code verification :smile:

Thanked by 2Philipp pike
  • via txt files

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2020

On Twitter

@yoursunny

——

@darb said:
    You are missing the obvious; KISS - fax it to him/her.

I was thinking carrier pigeon or a baloon

Seriously OP..
    Fire the client

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@vyas11 said:
    On Twitter

@yoursunny

I use Twitter to store my own password, not to share with others.
    It's an award winning method.

So far, I have communicated generated passwords to the user via:

• plain email: limited to virtual machine
    • first half in plain email, second half on telephone / Skype: allowed for dedicated machine
    • sticky note
    • white board

Passwords are generated on https://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/ at lowest setting, or makepasswd command (not mkpasswd, it's a hashing tool).

• @yoursunny said:

@vyas11 said:
    On Twitter

@yoursunny

I use Twitter to store my own password, not to share with others.
    It's an award winning method.

So far, I have communicated generated passwords to the user via:

• plain email: limited to virtual machine
    • first half in plain email, second half on telephone / Skype: allowed for dedicated machine
    • sticky note
    • white board

Passwords are generated on https://correcthorsebatterystaple.net/ at lowest setting, or makepasswd command (not mkpasswd, it's a hashing tool).

lol. but what if the client and the service provider share the twitter account?
    j/k

I have tried...

-sending user Id via email and password via WhatsApp
    -yelling the password to Amazon echo and have alexa repeat it in a different room
    -keeping it my wallet

• @Clouvider said:

@Pixels said:
    If it's just for a single use I may suggest using a self-hosted PrivateBin instance with the "Destroy after read" option active.

Wouldn’t the bowser potentially save the result in the temp files on the computer ? That defeats the purpose in that case.

My point was that the paste wouldn't hang around on the server after it has been retrieved by the client. After he/she has read it, it doesn't really matter that the browser has cached that page, as the client already had the password and could do whatever they want with it.

Adding fuel to the fire...
    https://github.com/PrivateBin/PrivateBin/issues/174

Flawless? No. The transmission is only as safe as the weakest link in the chain.
    Easy to use? I'd say yes. It's up to the OP to consider if this approach is good enough for him/her.

Thanked by 1lokuzard
  • @akhfa said:
    Bitwarden is good

For your case, you can also use keepassxc. Create password database file, send it to the client, and send master password securely

How on earth does this solve the issue? You're sending him around in circles.

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • What are you sharing the password for? Is there a more secure alternative you can use (for example, create a separate user for the client and let them set their own password)?

• Whatsapp

• i use privnote...seem the best for me...do you test or know service like https://useconnected.com/?

• krypt.co

• @vyas11 said: yelling the password to Amazon echo and have alexa repeat it in a different room

:D

• snail mail. It's always snail mail.

I often try to set up a temporary password for the client which needs to be changed on the first login. (If the service provides that functionality) or PGP encrypted emails and then advice the client to change the password on the first go. (If they are knowledgeable enough)

I also have a private Pastebin (Which I wrote so no proper security lel) which I use to share one-time notes with clients.

Thanked by 1yoursunny