Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 91
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• tgltgl Member
    edited December 2020

hosthatch is a very good provider, unfortunately this year I think they had one of the few good offers, so all the idiots signed up, that is why all this drama, I am also worried these idiots will abuse the servers... we will see

honestly guys, next year, please go to a CC host, and save us the trouble, you obviously are too desperate and expect too much for the money you are paying, you need to find a summer host!

@hosthatch maybe increase a little the prices next year, so you wont attract all these trouble makers, just a thought

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @tgl said:
    hosthatch is a very good provider, unfortunately this year I think they had one of the few good offers, so all the idiots signed up, that is why all this drama, I am also worried these idiots will abuse the servers... we will see

honestly guys, next year, please go to a CC host, and save us the trouble, you obviously are too desperate and expect too much for the money you are paying, you need to find a summer host!

@hosthatch maybe increase a little the prices next year, so you wont attract all these trouble makers, just a thought

Please don't. I really appreciate this low pricing as a student. There's no such good alternative for that cheap.

• @thedp said: Of course they'll come with an IP :) 1 IPv4 and a /64 IPv6 IIRC.

IPv4 for sure. I think I remember in the thread that you have to ticket to get the IPv6 ( and my machine that's been provisioned didn't have IPv6 automatically ).

• @benj0x said:

@tgl said:

Please don't. I really appreciate this low pricing as a student. There's no such good alternative for that cheap.

He has the right and reason to increase the price, for operation costs or for his team's effort, or for his personal will. My idea is that an increase of the price or something may not necessarily block those abusers or trouble-makers. People seeking troubles are there because they are trouble-seekers, not because the items, products or services provided are at the low level. Flagging impropriate users and cancelling/suspending deals with them could be a more feasible option to be considered.

• sgheghelesgheghele Member
    edited December 2020

I'm already using my storage box (from the OP) for Resilio Sync and WebDav. Maxing 1gbit/s transfers. Box is meanwhile receptive and swift. Thanks so much for the offer @hosthatch!

Thanked by 1hosthatch
  • @tgl said:

Unlike last year, there weren't as many appealing offers from other providers for this black friday so that means less competition. Besides, this year LET received a lot of attention from external communities too (eg: hostloc) where certain threads have been advertised.

• @aRNoLD said:

@benj0x said:

@tgl said:

He has the right and reason to increase the price, for operation costs or for his team's effort, or for his personal will. My idea is that an increase of the price or something may not necessarily block those abusers or trouble-makers. People seeking troubles are there because they are trouble-seekers, not because the items, products or services provided are at the low level. Flagging impropriate users and cancelling/suspending deals with them could be a more feasible option to be considered.

I know, that he has the right to do whatever he wants with his offer.

But I was referring to, that he should increase the pricing just do avoid abusers.

• freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

remove

• I wouldn't want to be on the Hong Kong node for... Reasons.

I went with old and boring central location AMS.

Thanked by 3Falzo bdl webcraft
  • AMS is prem.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

Thank You @hosthatch just had our 1TB London BF Flash activated :) looking forward to our nvme now :)

Thanked by 1larmarat
  • freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

remove

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2020

@tgl said:

This has definitely been a learning experience, but we won't be letting <50 users affect the rest of the 1000+. And that is the number of users - some people got 30-40 VMs or even more, so the number of VMs is much higher. Personally, I don't think a higher pricing would make much of a difference at this scale, but that is a fair debate to have. We will definitely be better prepared next time, with more automation in play, and will make clear yes and no rules - rather than leave anything to discussion.

Last two years on Black Fridays, we followed the same process, but it was not at this scale. I was expecting a similar "we'll make a nice deal, customers will be happy and we'll work the rest of it out"...but it wasn't meant to sell this much or be this popular and we did not expect there will be a bunch of users trying to twist every rule we had to get that last drop of discount/resource, etc.

When I made that "we will upgrade existing customers" rule, I was trying to be extra nice with the community here, since the loyalty of our old customers should stand for something. I didn't expect we would have users trying to twist that rule in every way possible.

Where else can you find a quality VM at even half of our price, in New York with Level3/Telia/TATA bandwidth, or in Chicago with NTT/GTT bandwidth and so on? Every DC/mix we use would be considered premium by any measure. Do you really need to squeeze in that last $3 of discount to make the deal valuable to you? And complain when you opened a ticket asking for some strange discount/extras, which didn't get replied to - and then you missed out on the original deal too?

If Amazon offers me a 1 TB Samsung 980 PRO SSD for $10 but I need to order within 30 minutes, I won't be first calling their support so they can "make me feel customer is king". I will order it first, and thank about it later. Some of the entitlement I have seen in the last week has been....enlightening.

Thankfully, again, that is a very small percentage of users. There are over a thousand customers who signed up, were understanding, did not open tickets to ask for their servers to be delivered ASAP, and did not create any fuss. So there is still hope in humanity.

I will have to gather exact statistics later, but we've deployed somewhere between 2.5-3 PB of storage in less than a week. And we're not finished deploying. This is counting only usable storage, when you factor in that a 10 TB drive actually has ~9TB usable storage, and then add the RAID50/60 overhead, it is even more. And all of this is thick provisioned storage.

It has definitely been a challenging (but fun and in a good way), learning week.

And now I'm going to check back in a few hours again - because when I am active here, everyone feels this is the right place to get help on their issues that need to go to our helpdesk.

• @freddy said:

sorry to p*ss on your parade mate, nothing personal, but:

potential Buyers be aware!

@hosthatch said earlier that transfers might be possible but are decided upon a case by case basis and might come with an additional fee, which especially with the promos and flashsales will be rather high to avoid abuse and reselling.

especially sellers asking for upfront payment via crypto should raise a red flag. at least get proof/confirmation that the service exists and has been paid for AND that @hosthatch agreed to them being transferred and what fee that incurs.

so better just don't.

• freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

remove

• @freddy said:
    Great, what is the rules of transfering a service to another user? can you clearify?

thank you

This is information available in the thread, use the search. ;) To make it easier though, flash deals can't be transferred, non-flash deals can be for a fee.

• @freddy said:
    Great, what is the rules of transfering a service to another user? can you clearify?

thank you

why should I? you are the one with buyers remorse ;-)

I suggest to put in a ticket with Hosthatch first and ask if they do the transfer for these services at all and if so what fee they may charge for doing so.

yes you might have to wait a week or two to get an answer, because this simply will have lowest priority, but that won't be faster if you find a buyer already anyway.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

@the_doctor said:

@freddy said:

thank you

This is information available in the thread, use the search. ;) To make it easier though, flash deals can't be transferred, non-flash deals can be for a fee.

Ok, so no transfers.

they issue i have is the lack of privacy, the admin entered my account and performed maintenance work, in my terminal with full root access..

this is an issue for me, i dident realize that they have this access at any given time

Guess i can count myself as one who have lost out money then. my bad

I also think the customer services have left my mouth with a foul taste, why is the tone such a personal and harsh one?

its kind of weird, like the full rant above.... several paragraph all about emotional stuff, the users are newbees in many cases and want some help on the way,

this is why we write in here and not filing tickets, when admin taking tickets are angry aggresive and bans us from making emergency tickets when everything fails.

shame on you Micke W for your stinking attitude today, yesterday.

Its uncalled for bro.

I wish to pull out as i cannot handle these services at all, i dont have the experience, and for that i dont need to be made fun of by some stuck up Admin answering tickers like a sailor.

disapointed and angry user customer

• @freddy said:
    they issue i have is the lack of privacy, the admin entered my account and performed maintenance work, in my terminal with full root access..

this is an issue for me, i dident realize that they have this access at any given time

Guess i can count myself as one who have lost out money then. my bad

If you install from your own ISO doesn't this get around that?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@freddy said:

I highly doubt they would access your sever without asking first. As these are KVMs, they would need your (root) password or a SSH key.

How did you find out and did you change the initial root password?

Thanked by 2Ouji Chronic
  • freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

@Falzo said:

@freddy said:

thank you

why should I? you are the one with buyers remorse ;-)

I suggest to put in a ticket with Hosthatch first and ask if they do the transfer for these services at all and if so what fee they may charge for doing so.

yes you might have to wait a week or two to get an answer, because this simply will have lowest priority, but that won't be faster if you find a buyer already anyway.

word! you are taking words and twisting them in your mouth... sad human being! who said im in a hurry? or mind waiting? you make stuff up as you go

• freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

@brueggus said:

@freddy said:

I highly doubt they would access your sever without asking first. As these are KVMs, they would need your (root) password or a SSH key.

How did you find out and did you change the initial root password?

they did, i asked a network question, and suddenly the history in terminal included commands they had fired off...

they have direct access with root yes. obviously i have zero privacy, i dident mind really, but thinking about it. lol seriously

edited December 2020

@freddy said:

This should never happen, and I was already made aware of it.

You opened an emergency ticket (and not the first one), for a non-emergency issue, asking us to investigate why your internet was not working.

Mike opened up your VNC console to see if your server was actually booted into an OS. It was logged into your Linux desktop and had a terminal open already, so he wrote in "ifconfig" and "ipaddr". Then he closed the VNC console.

In general, we cannot login to your VM. We do not know your access details. It was only possible since you logged into it on the VNC console yourself. And this was far from a 'privacy' violation - but considering your ticket history and the type of 'emergency' tickets you have been opening, Mike made a judgement call that you likely do not know what you are doing with an unmanaged server and would not mind him running "ifconfig".

He then asked Emil to look into the issue, and was clearly told that we should never run any commands on a server without permission. Regardless of how knowledge-less the client might be.

Please stop being a dickhead (apologies for the language) and do not misrepresent things like this, especially when things like privacy and security are concerned. What is next? I murdered your dog because your server was delivered with the ISO feature disabled?

edited December 2020

@freddy said: they have direct access with root yes. obviously i have zero privacy, i dident mind really, but thinking about it. lol seriously

Sorry, that is bullshit and a complete lie.

Thanked by 3benj0x Ouji dosai
  • Hello folks,

I am new to HostHatch and waiting for the 10TB Chicago storage VPS to be provisioned. I have walked through the ToS and AUP, but just wondering how long I can assume the resources(e.g. bandwidth, CPU and I/O) since I do not want it to be cancelled o:)
    Any response is appreciated! (BTW, I do not have a ticket number :D )

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@freddy said: and suddenly the history in terminal included commands they had fired off...

Yea... they shouldn't have done that.

@hosthatch said: You opened an emergency ticket (and not the first one), for a non-emergency issue

You shouldn't have done that, too.

Guess we're even.

Thanked by 2Chronic webcraft
  • freddyfreddy Member
    edited December 2020

Hosthatch: that is true. yes terminal was open in root.

Listen, dont start dickheading :) no need for it. but i do like the fact that you swear i admit it:) its straight honest talk!

I am not being a dickhead! that is bullshit.

Lets get on. Please understand, i spent Saturday attempting setting a service up and it was indeed a network fault, missing internet access. that was the only other emergency ticket opened. i though it was totally called for. no access

Micke did miss communicate with me, i did not understand it was an issue on your side. fair enough.

I dont open an emergency ticket for no good reason. and would not do so again.

Please re open this possibility as im not an abuser. Lets stop being angry, obviously your service kicks ass..

Peace

edited December 2020

@freddy said: Lets get on. Please understand, i spent Saturday attempting setting a service up and it was indeed a network fault, missing internet access. that was the only other emergency ticket opened

Buddy, the network not working on a fresh (promo) VM is not an emergency. You are not losing your millions of $ yet. Our 'emergency' ticket is not just a random tickbox, it spams the hell out of our slack channel so someone can take care of it asap. We don't appreciate that feature being abused.

@freddy said: Micke did miss communicate with me, i did not understand it was an issue on your side.

You mean not an issue on our side, right? Because it was not. There was a network misconfiguration on your VM, nothing to do with us.

I do apologize for Mike's tone, but we're all exhausted, and it is not nice to deal with customers who act rude to us for no reason and blame issues on us that are not ours to deal with.

@freddy said: Lets stop being angry

Agreed, please feel free to reach out to me at abdullah@ or Emil at [email protected] if you ever feel you're not getting the service you should be getting.

Thanked by 3Ouji bdl webcraft
  • Wtf, did you smoke weed?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

This is comes to mind when reading some of the comments in this thread.