Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

digicube.fr updates their low-end lineup: AMD Zacate E-240 from 8 EUR!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

digicube.fr updates their low-end lineup: AMD Zacate E-240 from 8 EUR!

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited November 2013 in Providers

http://digicube.fr/rapidserveurs

Gone are "Atom 230 1 GB of RAM", meet the new 8 EUR/mo server (paid yearly), AMD Zacate E-240 with 2GB, and for 0.80 EUR more can also choose to have it with SSD rather than a 80GB HDD. RAID, more RAM, larger disks, all are available for higher prices. Good to see an actual nice platform taking place of old outdated Atoms.

Comments

• Hmm not great, the passmark score for that cpu is pretty bad.

Thanked by 1nonuby
  • I'd prefer to see some of the newer celerons coming through. Some of those have great performance per core.

• The €13.60 E350 w/8GB RAM and 1TB disk is a nice deal. So is the €14.40 E350 w/8GB RAM and 2x500GB disks.

Thanked by 1tux
  • I think those prices on the front page are for annual payment.. monthly prices tend to cost a bit more but still not a bad deal, anyone used them before?

• @DomainBop said:
    The €13.60 E350 w/8GB RAM and 1TB disk is a nice deal. So is the €14.40 E350 w/8GB RAM and 2x500GB disks.

Hmm interresting, Still searching for a environment to get some experience with VMWare/ESXi

• @taronyu said:

I doubt you can run vmware on it.. it's not in the options list for available OS's.

Vmware is pretty picky when it comes to the network card.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

but yearly guys, not monthly it would be then 17Euros

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have an E-350 with 8 GB of ram too.
    I can say it runs multiple VMs in various virtualization scenarios (did XCP, Proxmox, OVZ) and performance is acceptable even for full virtualization as long as you have low cpu needs.
    For example windows updating, debian 7 installing and one already installed browsing with rdp and flash (youtube) maxes out the CPU and at times you get drops in audio.
    You can have 5+ idle VMs with full virtualization doing network only, such as proxies and routers, and the cpu wont break a sweat above 20%.
    It is a nice little machine, I just rescued another board for it where the fan died (mine has passive cooling) and people wanted to throw it away...

• I'm really tempted at the E-350, cpumark is 764 compared to the nano u2250 @ 377.. and the nano actually runs quite nice with proxmox..

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

Anyone interested in Atom C2750? http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/intel-atom-c2750-8-core-avoton-rangeley-benchmarks-fast-power/ is a review for it.

The speeds seem very very decent.

• @concerto49 said:
    Anyone interested in Atom C2750? http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/intel-atom-c2750-8-core-avoton-rangeley-benchmarks-fast-power/ is a review for it.

Saw that a while back.. think it comes with IPMI too, but they go for over $400 on ebay! so I somewhat lost the interest.

• @earl said:
    Saw that a while back.. think it comes with IPMI too, but they go for over $400 on ebay! so I somewhat lost the interest.

Because it's brand new. Silvermont just got released. Was waiting on this to rent out some Atoms. Might get 1 to play with first to see how it goes. Didn't want to get used Atoms earlier due to this. Would be obsolete in a few days.

@concerto49 said:
    Because it's brand new. Silvermont just got released. Was waiting on this to rent out some Atoms. Might get 1 to play with first to see how it goes. Didn't want to get used Atoms earlier due to this. Would be obsolete in a few days.

It depends, we are sold out on atoms D525 with IPMI supermicro made.
    If you need power, you usually dont go the atom way, they are good for almost everything else, except full virtualization.

• @Maounique said:
    If you need power, you usually dont go the atom way, they are good for almost everything else, except full virtualization.

I'm not saying D525 is bad. I just have a personal habit of not buying old hardware when new one is coming in a few weeks etc (when I looked at this).

Just like I hold off on a PC purchase for the same reason.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@concerto49

After finding out the price I did not really go into it much but it's a pretty impressive board considering it comes with 4 gigabit ports, USB 3.0, IPMI and the mini ITX footprint..

For me I like those low powered all in one celeron board while it does not compare to the atom I think it's pretty decent.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited November 2013

@earl

The impressive part I find is the performance for the power usage. I've looked at the numbers and might save us some money from power, so might be a good product.

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2013

@concerto49 said:
    earl

The impressive part I find is the performance for the power usage. I've looked at the numbers and might save us some money from power, so might be a good product.

yeah for sure... 20 watts and has the performance of half a E3 1200V3.

I dont know what to say, seems decent but my 2x qc 5520 server is like 120-180 Watt with 1 HDD and 72 GB ram DDR3, the whole server not only the cpu.
    Say will go some 350-400 full load and all disks, but also the atom one will go at least 100 full load if not 200 only the board ram and cards.
    Power is 2 times less, true, but I have 16 cores with HT, slightly better performance overall, more memory and lower price.
    If I were to buy new, though, it will certainly be on the top of the list.

• Well the L5520 is about 60 watts per cpu.. but considering dell was selling the R210 for around $600 I think I would rather buy a dell which is pretty much a complete system.

• The C2750's present a new cluster capability too. With their small size and low power requirements sticking 3 or 4 of these boards in a 1u space is doable. Each processor can address up to 32GB RAM so a 1u box, 4 cores, 128GB RAM and 16 ports. Might not do much for the LEB world but does create some very interesting computing possibilities.

• Can those snapdragon 800 processors be used in servers? They are tiny and use less power right? Might pack so much of those in a little space?

• is this limited to france residents also?

• @jcaleb said:
    Can those snapdragon 800 processors be used in servers? They are tiny and use less power right? Might pack so much of those in a little space?

I would think that was an ARM chip that can only be used with ARM operating systems like embedded Windows or specific versions of Debian.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2013

darknyan said: I would think that was an ARM chip that can only be used with ARM operating systems like embedded Windows or specific versions of Debian.

There is nothing "specific" about the ARM port of Debian, that architecture in Debian has the same (fully supported) status as x86. And guess what, some other distros run on ARM too:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/arm
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
    http://archlinuxarm.org/
    so you aren't limited to "embedded Windows" anymore; awesome news, right?...

(to be entirely clear, the servers linked in the first post are not ARM but the usual x86-64, and I am not sure how Snapdragon which is an entirely different thing, even came up to be discussed in this thread...)

• fanfan Veteran

@jcaleb said:
    Can those snapdragon 800 processors be used in servers? They are tiny and use less power right? Might pack so much of those in a little space?

I believe the new Bay Trail Atom's are going to be a better option, as it brings x86/x86-64 support, better performance at similar price and power consumption. The Atom's are very affordable and the performance is decent on the latest generation.

Well, I can see how this came about, people talk of clusters and which would be more efficient.
    It is obvious arm would, however this chip is something i like, it opens a lot of possibilities.
    I need to see AMD's reaction. Will they make 8 cores low TDP chips ?

• @Maounique said:
    Well, I can see how this came about, people talk of clusters and which would be more efficient.
    It is obvious arm would, however this chip is something i like, it opens a lot of possibilities.
    I need to see AMD's reaction. Will they make 8 cores low TDP chips ?

It got pushed back to next year basically. AMD are behind.

• @concerto49 said:

OVH was listening to you. They launched their new 'soyoustart.com' line today with C2750's.
    http://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres.html

• That isn't OVH pricing? :p

Was planning to do it for $49/month or under.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2013

@darknyan but it runs android right? maybe it can do linux, or perhaps netbsd?

@fan i am daydreaming sometime of having the day when 1U can pack something like 100 or more tiny dedicateds based from mobile technology