Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare Challenges on LowEndTalk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare Challenges on LowEndTalk

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Everyone,

Last night (8 hours ago) I made some tweaks to our CloudFlare settings to make them less restrictive on LowEndTalk.

Please let me know if you are seeing many JS Challenges from CloudFlare. I don't want CloudFlare to be a burden so more work may be required to get this perfect.

Thanks everyone for your feedback,

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

You can see all the JS Challenges that were happening. They've been reduced since I lowered the firewall settings last night.

Thanked by 1dominame
  • As of today, I often can't post because I get some captcha overlay that says I need to download some browser addon called Private Pass to bypass the captcha, but the addon has many reviews saying it doesn't actually work. :s

@user123 said:
    As of today, I often can't post because I get some captcha overlay that says I need to download some browser addon called Private Pass to bypass the captcha, but the addon has many reviews saying it doesn't actually work. :s

The site is slow right now due to a DDOS attack.

Once the attack is over we will lower settings in cloudflare.

Thanked by 2dominame user123
  • @jbiloh said:

@user123 said:
    As of today, I often can't post because I get some captcha overlay that says I need to download some browser addon called Private Pass to bypass the captcha, but the addon has many reviews saying it doesn't actually work. :s

I found it interesting that there was no way for me to actually interact with the overlaybecause the formatting was broken and no captcha or anything else was presented.

@user123 said:

@jbiloh said:

@user123 said:

I found it interesting that there was no way for me to actually interact with the overlaybecause the formatting was broken and no captcha or anything else was presented.

Next time you see this please send me a picture of it to jonbiloh -at- gmail.com

Thanked by 1user123
  • Probably around 1 hour ago I started seeing lot's of CF checks like wait the page will be automatically refreshed etc....but not JS challenges.

@JohnFilch123 said:
    Probably around 1 hour ago I started seeing lot's of CF checks like wait the page will be automatically refreshed etc....but not JS challenges.

That was due to putting the site in the "under attack" mode because of a DDOS attack.

I've just turned that off while I continue to monitor for more DDOS traffic.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanked by 1JohnFilch123

The attack is mostly blocked now.

Thanked by 1user123

Still working on the attack folks, sorry for the slowness and JS challenges.

I'll be removing the forced JS challenges shortly.

Now that the attack has been stopped please let me know if you are getting buggy JS Challenges from Cloud Flare.

Thanks everyone for your patience and understanding while we worked through that attack.

• Works fine for me.

• As soon as the promotions return, the site will slow down again. :'(

@EHRA said:
    As soon as the promotions return, the site will slow down again. :'(

I don't think so. The slowness this time around was due to an attack, which we've now blocked quite effectively.

I will watching very closely when the next batch of Flash Deals are launched on LowEndTalk.

• All good, I'm browsing the website from the morning from deferent devices logged in and logged out and didn't I didn't get any JS challenge

• All good for me. Keep up the good work @jbiloh

@Jorbox said:
    All good, I'm browsing the website from the morning from deferent devices logged in and logged out and didn't I didn't get any JS challenge

Glad to hear it.

@hostfactor said:
    All good for me. Keep up the good work @jbiloh

Good stuff.

Let me know if you guys see any issues.

• user123user123 Member
    edited November 2020

@jbiloh example:

@user123 said:
    @jbiloh example:

When did you last receive this?

• @jbiloh said:

@user123 said:
    @jbiloh example:

Within two minutes of submitting that post.

• 100% in brazil. i received the captcha once during the day

• In there UK, replying to posts has become impossible due to there captcha

@NewToTheGame said:
    In there UK, replying to posts has become impossible due to there captcha

Is this happening right now for you? Or are you talking about 3 hours ago when the site was under attack?

• Yeah, if i reply to some possts in the black friday deals thread, my posts are challenged, no captcha is ever shown, and the add on doesn't work

• A straight reply no qoutes works fine

Thanked by 1user123
  • @jbiloh said:

@user123 said:
    @jbiloh example:

It's happening again now.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited November 2020

in CF firewall rules:
    1. blocking Russia in CF will drop the DDos/Bot attack significantly.
    2. Also blocking Google Cloud & Amazon Cloud entire IP range will reduce bot visits/crawlers/spiders.
    3. Blocking TOR country in CF will eliminate entire traffic coming from TOR network.

I've implemented it on my/customer sites. It works to a great extent!

• simply reply to a topic instead of quoting stuff that contains html refs/links or images and that should do it.

Thanked by 1Andrews
  • user54321user54321 Member
    edited November 2020

@JasonM said:
    in CF firewall rules:
    1. blocking Russia in CF will drop the DDos/Bot attack significantly.
    2. Also blocking Google Cloud & Amazon Cloud entire IP range will reduce bot visits/crawlers/spiders.
    3. Blocking TOR country in CF will eliminate entire traffic coming from TOR network.

I've implemented it on my/customer sites. It works to a great extent!

I've blocked every IP beside ::1 that reduced my server load to a great extend you should do that on your/ your customers sites too!

Thanked by 3JasonM raindog308 _MS_

We've locked down things a bit further in the past 1.5 hours in response to more attacks on lowendtalk.

Kids and their attacks!! Grr! Getting in the way of everyone getting their deals. Shame!