Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crazy Deals on Storage , SSD and hosting with SPICY GIVEAWAY This Black Friday from ServaRICA

Comments

• Order #9976226444
    Thank you so much

• @darvil said:
    Got in a little late. I put my name in the form for new stock. I assume we will still get it at the BF price?

YEP WE SURE DO, wait for the new chunk hardware

• Making a comment :)

• I bought is SSD disk,
    But the server IO test looks very bad.

• @markjack said:

I bought is SSD disk,
    But the server IO test looks very bad.

That is a very low speed. Maybe customers are loading the servers with terabytes of data. Nobody can blame them for trying to use their services or resources allocated.

• We own and operate our own network and we are not reseller to any other company.

I previously assumed you were based out of the OVH BHS DC because you were in Montreal. What datacenter are you located in? :)

• Email from servarica:

For the customers who are actively using the storage plans which was bought on Black Friday 2020 offers
    We are no longer allowing any kind of seedbox, torrenting activity.
    If you are using it, Please stop it and remove the related Apps to avoid suspension of your VM or you can get a full refund by canceling the product from your client area.

Great change in policy, IMO.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2020

@eoamk said:
    Email from servarica:

For the customers who are actively using the storage plans which was bought on Black Friday 2020 offers
    We are no longer allowing any kind of seedbox, torrenting activity.
    If you are using it, Please stop it and remove the related Apps to avoid suspension of your VM or you can get a full refund by canceling the product from your client area.

Great change in policy, IMO.

Yeah, I also got that message. I don't like it at all. I was not using the service for torrent, but I imagine some customers are using their services for torrents, and changing the terms like that is not acceptable in my opinion.

I understand provider has problems with customer using storage for torrents, but provider must also understand that service is a VPS (as in Virtual Private Server) which comes with computing power and bandwidth attached, so customers don't use it just for "data at rest" as provider maybe imagines.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • zhangsyzhangsy Member
    edited November 2020

such a pity.ban torrent in storage box is not a good decision.

• Let's see how much performance improves now.

• @idle said:
    Let's see how much performance improves now.

What if provider makes it even more restrictive to improve performance, affecting your usage (or whatever you run) next time? How would you feel then?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Let's just block all ports and protocols, except, well, hmmm, 22/TCP ?

Thanked by 2default zhangsy
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2020

@Shot2 said:
    Let's just block all ports and protocols, except, well, hmmm, 22/TCP ?

Good idea. This way we will all run the server for one thing only: backups through SSHFS or storage (as advertised). We will feel proud that we pay more for holding cold data in VPS, instead of some other storage solution online.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @default said: Good idea. This way we will all run the server for one thing only: backups through SSHFS or storage (as advertised). We will feel proud that we pay more for holding cold data in VPS, instead of some other storage solution online.

I agree he should have said no torrents from the very beginning. All it does is cause problems but he was trying to be accomodating. He offered you a refund - take it.

• @skorous said:
    He offered you a refund - take it.

That's actually not a bad idea... it will offer me a laugh later when you start complaining.

• siding with @servarica_hani here. people are greedy and reckless. especially when it comes to torrent and stuff and this well known for easily fucking up a shared system (which a node full of vservers still is) for everyone.

they'll probably would lose more non-abusive customers and be stuck with only the few excessive torrenters who burn through ressources for near to no money.

on top, while torrent itself ofc is not illegal let's be realistic and think for a moment about how many of the users possibly do not use it otherwise for their personal entertainment and enrichment.

doing illegal shit is forbidden by nearly every providers tos and usually by the law anyway.
    it's rather just a clarification on those ToS to name and shame torrent for it.

tl;dr; I am happy about that stricter rule and also happy about everyone who takes the refund and takes his torrenting elsewhere, leaving the system usable for the major rest of us.

• @default said: it will offer me a laugh later when you start complaining

And I would complain that you're not abusing shared resources on a server I'm not on because .... ?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2020

@skorous said:

@default said: it will offer me a laugh later when you start complaining

And I would complain that you're not abusing shared resources on a server I'm not on because .... ?

I am not abusing. I am not even torrenting. It's about the principle of the thing. I do not like changing the rules of a contract, while the contract is active. It's simple.

@Falzo said:

on top, while torrent itself ofc is not illegal let's be realistic and think for a moment about how many of the users possibly do not use it otherwise for their personal entertainment and enrichment.

doing illegal shit is forbidden by nearly every providers tos and usually by the law anyway.

• one of the best bf deals I missed. :(
    waiting for the restocked.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited November 2020

@default said: I do not like changing the rules of a contract, while the contract is active. It's simple.

and that's fair enough.

however as said before, I don't think they changed any rules... if you read their ToS/AUP it clearly states:

Network Performance: RWS accounts operate on shared resources. Excessive use or abuse of these shared network resources by one customer may have a negative impact on all other customers. Misuse of network resources in a manner that impairs network performance is prohibited by this policy and may result in termination of your account.

You are prohibited from excessive consumption of resources, including CPU time, memory, disk space and session time. You may not use resource-intensive programs, which negatively impact other customers or the performances of RWS systems or networks. RWS reserves the right to terminate or limit such activities.

it's not like it hasn't been part of the contract already. it barely got better specified by now.

• I would definitely support @servarica_hani .those who need a seedbox please go with pulsemedia which is a much better choice.
    IO is much better than the first day when I bought it. awesome work!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Great offers @servarica_hani

• r5industriesr5industries Member
    edited December 2020

The only thing I did was ssh in, lock down SSH, update ubuntu and that was it. It's literally been idle since I bought it on BF.

I got the Flying Fish SSD and when I first benched it, IO wasn't terrible but it wasn't SSD speeds. I remember it being at least 90MB/s on average.

I decided to check on this today since I been reading these replies about terrible io.

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 802.00 KB/s (200) 4.38 MB/s (68)
    Write 839.00 KB/s (209) 4.64 MB/s (72)
    Total 1.64 MB/s (409) 9.03 MB/s (140)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 6.83 MB/s (13) 9.56 MB/s (9)
    Write 7.59 MB/s (14) 10.65 MB/s (10)
    Total 14.42 MB/s (27) 20.21 MB/s (19)

Second run about 20m later:

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):

Block Size 4k (IOPS) 64k (IOPS)
    Read 1.03 MB/s (259) 3.90 MB/s (61)
    Write 1.07 MB/s (269) 4.14 MB/s (64)
    Total 2.11 MB/s (528) 8.05 MB/s (125)
    Block Size 512k (IOPS) 1m (IOPS)
    ------ --- ---- ---- ----
    Read 6.60 MB/s (12) 17.14 MB/s (16)
    Write 7.39 MB/s (14) 18.98 MB/s (18)
    Total 13.99 MB/s (26) 36.12 MB/s (34)

I also read the provider basically says you can't use more than 20% resources. This means the cores are shared, which would have been nice to know in the offer. Since I plan on using CPU and IO more than what they probably would like, I'm going to have to cancel this.

Note that I do not have the polar bear storage, so IDK why the perf today is so terrible on my SSD based VPS. It seems to me this provider oversells their servers.

• @r5industries said: This means the cores are shared, which would have been nice to know in the offer.

So you thought you were getting four dedicated cores, 4 gig of ram, and 200gig of ssd storage for $4/month? Exactly what industry are you in?

• It should be a great box, unfortunately there is no increase in disk performance. I decided asking them for refund. Thank you Servarica.

• How's the I/O performance now?
    I've seen the statment of banning on torrent.

• @tamicrealo said: How's the I/O performance now?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
     I/O Speed(1st run)    : 3.9 MB/s
     I/O Speed(2nd run)    : 3.9 MB/s
     I/O Speed(3rd run)    : 3.7 MB/s
     Average I/O speed     : 3.8 MB/s

• @akb said:

I/O Speed(1st run)    : 3.9 MB/s
     I/O Speed(2nd run)    : 3.9 MB/s
     I/O Speed(3rd run)    : 3.7 MB/s
     Average I/O speed     : 3.8 MB/s