Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inception Hosting - Poor Customer Service - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inception Hosting - Poor Customer Service

13»

Comments

• @chaoszero112 said: The only 2 providers in my PayPal account that used a set interval subscription based payment model were WootHosting and Inception Hosting.

VirMach uses PayPal subscriptions.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Unbelievable said:
    @jar - it doesnt prevent people from cancelling the agreement as soon as they sign up for a service. Once they have sent payment they can cancel agreement and/or subscription and you can't withdraw funds from them anymore.

And everyone should cancel agreements/subs as soon as they have had their purchase amount taken from their account

You'd be amazed how many spammers sign up with legit identities and aren't concerned about any billing practices. They're precisely the ones who should be concerned about it, and they're the ones I don't feel bad for lol

As always the disclaimer: I know the difference between an accident, a compromised password, and intentional spam. Anyone concerned they may be at risk without intentionally spamming is concerned about a purely theoretical event that isn't compatible with how the determinations are made.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • I could care less about the funds now. It was my mistake. But why does Inception choose to continue using a method that can land their customers in an accidental payment loop?

I don't think they are using the subscription to trick people into sending them free money. They have customers from all over the world, some people from certain backgrounds might find it very handy to use the subscription thing. You can't argue it's a bad thing simply because people like you and me didn't know how it works and lost some money because of it.

• @saibal said:

@chaoszero112 said: The only 2 providers in my PayPal account that used a set interval subscription based payment model were WootHosting and Inception Hosting.

VirMach uses PayPal subscriptions.

There are 2 types of subscriptions. One where you push funds and one where they pull funds. The first is like a money transfer where the second is like a credit card.

VirMach uses the later. If you don't have services or invoices, you aren't charged.

Inception uses the former. Whatever you pay the first time repeats automatically until you tell it to stop.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2020

There is only one type of paypal sub. On Paypal's terms, you are supposed to cancel the sub when you cancel a service with someone.

But there are different plugins where some can automatically cancel the sub on your behalf.

Either way, Paypal sub is far more safer than paypal payment agreement.

I use neither.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2020

@chaoszero112 said:

@deank said:
    Feelings are too subjective to consider as anything but a dream.

So, based on what you've stated, you opened a dispute because you felt unwelcome without attempting to communicate further.

Is that assessment correct?

Partially. The provider made it clear they did not want to communicate further. A dispute was the means of keeping the communication channel open. A dispute or claim doesn't, and shouldn't, mean communications get severed.

Having a dispute opened with PayPal is not a negative. If either party feels they are talking to a wall, it's a useful tool to bring in a mediator. There are no repercussions at that stage. If a party is continually losing those disputes, that's when it can become a negative strike against the account.

If you think this, you clearly didn't read the ToS and AUP for Inception Hosting as I am pretty sure they outline exactly what will happen if you open a dispute with them. Past that, as has been said over and over to you now in this thread, this is the same ANY host with two brain cells would do. Why would I let you possibly impact my livelihood with a dispute that could cause my account to be locked or under restrictions and then continue to treat you like a customer? You basically walked up and pointed a gun at his head, demanded money and then expected him to just want to hash it out like a normal person with the gun to his head. No normal person would do that in real life, not sure why you would expect them to online.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited November 2020

@chaoszero112 said:
    There are 2 types of subscriptions. One where you push funds and one where they pull funds. The first is like a money transfer where the second is like a credit card.

VirMach uses the later. If you don't have services or invoices, you aren't charged.

Inception uses the former. Whatever you pay the first time repeats automatically until you tell it to stop.

I'm not sure if both of them can be called subscriptions. In any case didn't you get the email from PayPal notifying you of recurring payments?

Edit: deank beat me to the subscription defs

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @deank said:
    There is only one type of paypal sub. On Paypal's terms, you are supposed to cancel the sub when you cancel a service with someone.

But there are different plugins where some can automatically cancel the sub on your behalf.

Either way, Paypal sub is far more safer than paypal payment agreement.

I use neither.

I refer to them as agreements as well, but PayPal labels both as Subscriptions. One just has an added interval.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:
    Paypal agreement is a dangerous thing. I wouldn't trust a host to have it.

It basically allows an entity which you have the agreement with to withdraw funds at will.

I have PayPal agreements with:

• FreshDirect (grocery delivery)
    • Target
    • Cloudflare (domains)
    • FreedomPop (they charge 1 penny every month, for a "free" LTE SIM card)

Only the last one is a shady business.

I canceled PayPal agreements with:

• Virmach
    • SmartHost

These would first send an invoice asking me to pay, so I would naturally pay manually. On due date, they would charge again (pull funds), so that the same invoice is charged twice but service end date is extended by only one year.
    If I ask, they will refund. Now I canceled agreements and only pay manually.

I used Inception Hosting in 2016 and there were neither subscription nor agreement.

It's fine to have a billing agreement with a company like Target. They wouldn't screw you over.

I specifically mentioned "host". Especially be careful with hosts found on LET or Hackforums. Never have a paypal payment agreement with hosts found there and here.

There are exceptions. For an example, I would trust FranTech empire with a paypal agreement, yes.

But those hosts that have appeared outta nowhere, be extra careful.

• In my opinion, this is completely unfriendly approach. Glad I am not IH's customer. Good luck resolving it.

• Thank you OP for making me check my pp-subscriptions. I foud I had three of them and honestly I do not remember when I agreed to it. All cancelled. I prefer loosing some vps due to late payment over loosing my money...

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @OP I had the exact same deal (US2048) and just cancelled it a week ago. The cancellation email clearly states that if you have a PayPal agreement, you (as the user) should go and remove it.

I didn't know if I had a subscription, so I went and checked. I didn't, but atleast the email warned me that I should check if I am not sure. I think you should have checked.

On the other hand, I also cancelled an AlphaVPS server (both cancellations are because they were OVZ and didn't work for me). Payment for AlphaVPS was Paypal subscription. The minute, my cancellation was completed, I got an email from Paypal saying that AlphaVPS has cancelled my automatic payments.

While I believe providers can cancel subscriptions, I also think you should have taken a minute to check your subscription settings, especially when the email clearly asks you to do it.

As for the Paypal dispute, even when disputing something with an eBay seller, Paypal advises you NOT to directly contact the seller. This is because they can be in the loop and make a decision if the case is escalated. Therefore getting locked out of your account is kind of expected.

• @deank said: But there are different plugins where some can automatically cancel the sub on your behalf.

You don't even need a plugin. WHMCS has had automatic subscription cancellation built-in for almost five years.

https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal_Basic#Automatic_Subscription_Management

https://blog.whmcs.com/110602/feature-spotlight-paypal-subscriptions

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @chaoszero112 said:

@deank said:
    Then the matter is settled.

Paypal will side with you. And the host clearly did not "steal".

The disputed amount was €24.00. The account has €48.00. They are entitled to freeze €24.00, but have blocked access to all funds. As I have no access to any of the funds, they have, at the current time, stolen €24.00.

Edit: I removed reference to stolen funds in the title, as it was a bit unfair. I won't know what will happen to those funds until PayPal makes a decision.

What exactly was your grounds you provided in the dispute? Most likely, you're committing fraud. They didn't steal or withdraw your funds without notice. I really don't know what you could have said that wasn't outright fraud.

• @Dylan said:

@deank said: But there are different plugins where some can automatically cancel the sub on your behalf.

You don't even need a plugin. WHMCS has had automatic subscription cancellation built-in for almost five years.

Why providers don't use it? It's weird.

@Kiwi83 said:

@Dylan said:

@deank said: But there are different plugins where some can automatically cancel the sub on your behalf.

Why providers don't use it? It's weird.

It's built in and used by default but some providers report mixed results when it's supposed to occur.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    Hi,

just going to leave this: image

And this: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/2049/remember-to-cancel-paypal-subscriptions/p1 here.

Except they locked my account because I opened a support ticket.. So..

You filed a PayPal reversal/claim (not a dispute) which is why your account was locked.

Typical case of someone shitting on your doorstep and then waking you up at 3am to demand toilet paper.

FR record added.

Happy Black Friday folks, please remember to look after your own money, as you know, it's yours, this is in the hands of PayPal now, any power to remedy the situation was taken away from me.

See you, guys next year, I am sure this thread will descend into drama, you are welcome to it :)

Hey, you're back.

Also @chaoszero112 , take this as a lesson. Lesson is pricey, I once forget to pay my netcup bill, got a letter from a debt collector, I paid up about 200 eur.

Because there will be more dick unsual provider I faced in the future. Use this opportunity to create a habit to check your paypal subscription and agreement regularly.

Experience is costly. Be a Man and deal with it, instead of bitching about it. It's the same case with backup.

You won't appreciate a backup until you lost your data.

What if OP is not a man?

@deank said:
    It's fine to have a billing agreement with a company like Target. They wouldn't screw you over.

I specifically mentioned "host". Especially be careful with hosts found on LET or Hackforums. Never have a paypal payment agreement with hosts found there and here.

There are exceptions. For an example, I would trust FranTech empire with a paypal agreement, yes.

But those hosts that have appeared outta nowhere, be extra careful.

Scaleway has my credit card number now. Should I worry?

@ramesh_vish said:
    As for the Paypal dispute, even when disputing something with an eBay seller, Paypal advises you NOT to directly contact the seller. This is because they can be in the loop and make a decision if the case is escalated. Therefore getting locked out of your account is kind of expected.

Contact seller: you may get a refund without having to send things back.
    Contact PayPal: PayPal will decide in your favor, but you have to pay return shipping.
    Thus, always contact seller first.

PayPal claim has time limit of 3 months. Thus, if you buy annual plan and provider disappears after 3 months, you are screwed.
    So far AlphaRacks was the only one disappeared on me, but I had 2 months left so not much loss.

• jhjh Member

@chaoszero112 said: Despite being "SSD-cached", the drives were slow (US 2048 KVM). It wasn't unusual to dip down to as low as 4Mb/s, according to bench.sh. So after a year or 2, I cancelled the service. (Yes, I was pretty slow in doing so. I seem to have an issue leaving servers idling:))

I tried one of their backup servers a few months ago. The iowait was consistently high even when the VM was idle and the service was unusably slow. I would have expected they'd monitor their servers and do something about the performance before it got that bad.

@chaoszero112 said: I end up noticing the charge and within 30 minutes ask them to reverse it. Surprisingly, they refused, and made it clear "You sent us the money, we didn't ask for it. It's ours now" (my paraphrasing). They cited a fee they get charged from PayPal for refunded transactions, which I would have gladly covered. Ultimately, the result was I was left with a credit of €48EUR. Was it my fault for failing to cancel the subscription? Certainly. But from a PR standpoint it's very anti-consumer.

That seems really low to me. I can understand them wanting to keep a few euros to cover the transaction charge and 5 minutes of their time to refund the payment and clean up their billing (it's a low end service after all - margins are razor thin) but it sounds like they didn't even try to do the right thing :(

Thanked by 1adly
  • @yoursunny said: Contact seller: you may get a refund without having to send things back.

Contact PayPal: PayPal will decide in your favor, but you have to pay return shipping.
    Thus, always contact seller first.

I would also advise to contact the seller first. I was explaining to the OP that getting his account locked out was expected as Paypal recommends that the buyer & seller don't connect outside of their messaging channels.

• Speaking of automatic payments, glad someone made this thread because I just realized I have one when I don’t have active service with Inception Hosting, time for me to go cancel that.

Thanked by 1abytecurious

@ramesh_vish said:
    I would also advise to contact the seller first. I was explaining to the OP that getting his account locked out was expected as Paypal recommends that the buyer & seller don't connect outside of their messaging channels.

I didn't see such recommendation in PayPal.
    PayPal claim process can accept screenshots of messages elsewhere as evidence.
    However, if you open a ticket in the hosting provider's system but the email notification does not contain the content, you should take a screenshot early, so that you still have access to them even if the provider disables your account.

eBay has this recommendation, but anything you send through eBay messaging would be available to PayPal if you open a claim.

Thanked by 1abytecurious
  • chaoszero112chaoszero112 Member
    edited November 2020

@TimboJones said:
    What exactly was your grounds you provided in the dispute? Most likely, you're committing fraud. They didn't steal or withdraw your funds without notice. I really don't know what you could have said that wasn't outright fraud.

That part is actually pretty simple, nothing fraudulent. They sent a receipt for the payment but they also list the item. It clearly states the payment is for a VPS, not a credit to your account.

@jh said:

@chaoszero112 said: I end up noticing the charge and within 30 minutes ask them to reverse it. Surprisingly, they refused, and made it clear "You sent us the money, we didn't ask for it. It's ours now" (my paraphrasing). They cited a fee they get charged from PayPal for refunded transactions, which I would have gladly covered. Ultimately, the result was I was left with a credit of €48EUR. Was it my fault for failing to cancel the subscription? Certainly. But from a PR standpoint it's very anti-consumer.

That seems really low to me. I can understand them wanting to keep a few euros to cover the transaction charge and 5 minutes of their time to refund the payment and clean up their billing (it's a low end service after all - margins are razor thin) but it sounds like they didn't even try to do the right thing :(

And that's really what my concern is. They have a prepared paragraph stating why it's your fault for sending the payment and they aren't obligated to give it back.

But is it really so hard to reply with:

"We've seen this happen a lot, despite our warnings. Unfortunately, PayPal charges us a fee for reversing the payment. If it's okay with you, we can return the payment minus the fee. Let us know if you'd like to proceed."

In the end, they aren't losing anything.

• @chaoszero112 said:

@TimboJones said:

@chaoszero112 said:

@deank said:

The disputed amount was €24.00. The account has €48.00. They are entitled to freeze €24.00, but have blocked access to all funds. As I have no access to any of the funds, they have, at the current time, stolen €24.00.

Edit: I removed reference to stolen funds in the title, as it was a bit unfair. I won't know what will happen to those funds until PayPal makes a decision.

That part is actually pretty simple, nothing fraudulent. They sent a receipt for the payment but they also list the item. It clearly states the payment is for a VPS, not a credit to your account.

Sure, post the receipt. If it says for "VPS service" in a memo line or something, that's just supposed to be a reminder for the payment and it still applies for credit. If the receipt says its for a specific product for a given length of time, that might be different. But keep in mind, YOU sent them money.

• @TimboJones said:

@chaoszero112 said:

@TimboJones said:

@chaoszero112 said:

@deank said:

Sure, post the receipt. If it says for "VPS service" in a memo line or something, that's just supposed to be a reminder for the payment and it still applies for credit. If the receipt says its for a specific product for a given length of time, that might be different. But keep in mind, YOU sent them money.

Thanks for the input, but I'll deal with this through PayPal and Inception.

Thanked by 1WorkingDude
  • Fun anecdote : I forgot to disable the PayPal subscription and an auto payment for 6.25 EUR happened the day after I did a manual PayPal checkout for this quarterly amount.

Cool. I'M now set for 6months for my US BORGBACKUP target #2. The excess payment gets automatically converted to account credit. I learned that if I click the notifications icon (top-right) in IH's WHMCS, I am shown my credit balance.

I regularly do a PayPal sweep in Sept/October, but I somehow missed just this one. 😄

@vimalware said:
    Fun anecdote : I forgot to disable the PayPal subscription and an auto payment for 6.25 EUR happened the day after I did a manual PayPal checkout for this quarterly amount.

Cool. I'M now set for 6months for my US BORGBACKUP target #2. The excess payment gets automatically converted to account credit. I learned that if I click the notifications icon (top-right) in IH's WHMCS, I am shown my credit balance.

I regularly do a PayPal sweep in Sept/October, but I somehow missed just this one. 😄

Worst of it is you won't use the credit unless you buy another service or cancel the sub a month before the service. That's why I don't like holding credit for that event, ends up effectively being me keeping it and the customer never seeing anything for it.

• @TimboJones said:

@chaoszero112 said:

@deank said:

LOL, fraud
    dafuk