Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz Skylake - Hitting high temperatures!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz Skylake - Hitting high temperatures!

I've had my Laptop for about 3 years now, and in the last 2 years it has started to hit absurd temperatures for the CPU, it is currently at 89 (C) and often hits 94-95 (C). I've noticed games have slowed down majorly. The GPU that I have within this Laptop is - NVIDIA GTX 970M @ 3 GB VRAM. I cannot play a game for more than 5 seconds until my FPS drops to 5-10 FPS including basic games like GTA:SA or anything along the lines that is not as demanding.

What could exactly be causing the issue? I have opened up my Laptop to see what is going on but there is no dust and the Laptop doesn't need cleaning either.

Comments

• Hi
    from what you say your laptop is 3y old is maybe thermal paste issue or dust in fan
    in both of case you maybe need a pro to check for you
    disassemble a laptop is kinda a pain sometime
    goodluck

• @Dyna said:
    Hi
    from what you say your laptop is 3y old is maybe thermal paste issue or dust in fan
    in both of case you maybe need a pro to check for you
    disassemble a laptop is kinda a pain sometime
    goodluck

I was going to say cheap thermal paste that dried out and turned to dust or dust inside the copper fins of the heatsink

Chip

• Replacing thermal paste and the fan seem to be the cheaper options in order to diagnose the issue.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

I doubt thermal paste issue, but it could be an inadequate cooling solution.

• Thermal paste +1, and gaming with a laptop will give bad experience generally.