Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In what country should I register my business?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

In what country should I register my business?

Due to complication with your own countries law sometimes you can't do business in your country peacefully. In such cases what country will you go for as a foreigner? Just saw a old thread about US business registration, but didn't got enough country choice there.

So asking LET providers to share their experience on business formation, tax, IP law, etc in their country/foreign country. And lastly can anyone share their experience in Canada(I might move there).

Comments

• Where are you from, originally?
    As an EU Citizen you could become a "digital citizen" of Finnland (or was it Estonia?) and found a business there.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • Seychelles

• @Ympker said:
    Where are you from, originally?
    As an EU Citizen you could become a "digital citizen" of Finnland (or was it Estonia?) and found a business there.

It's Estonia
    https://e-resident.gov.ee/

Thanked by 2Boogeyman Ympker
  • @hyperblast said:
    Seychelles

At least the view is nice there. But are you serious?

@Ympker said:

What about from APAC? Can I still move to EU?

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

@netfox said:

@Ympker said:

It's Estonia

I have been part of that program since 2016. When I was looking to register a limited company in late 2018, the options that program offered were... underwhelming to say the least. You have to travel to Estonia in order to get an account with any bank there. It's also impossible to hand in some of your administration digitally through the platform. It's a great idea, but in practice its severely lacking. I had honestly expected more.

• @CConner said:

@netfox said:

@Ympker said:

It's Estonia

I have been part of that program since 2016. When I was looking to register a limited company in late 2018, the options that program offered were... underwhelming to say the least. You have to travel to Estonia in order to get an account with any bank there. It's also impossible to hand in some of your administration digitally through the platform. It's a great idea, but in practice its severely lacking. I had honestly expected more.

It's a half assed program to say the least. Even us, the locals, can't understand the point in it due to lack of options you could do with it.

Thanked by 2CConner Boogeyman
  • One of my Egyptian friends has an LLC founded in the USA.
    While business formation isn't that complicated here (nor expensive), but some business models have weird-ass roles.
    such as if your company heavily relies on a website, you then have to pay ~$4k more non-refunded fees.
    I was thinking to do the same but didn't yet do my full homework.

Thanked by 2Boogeyman JasonM
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

If you like Biden or Trump, then USA

https://stripe.com/atlas

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • I believe the UK is popular for remote companies, as is Singapore and the US. It's a free for all after that.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

The Netherlands might also be interesting for you. We have some... interesting tax laws.
    Especially for internet businesses.

Thanked by 2Boogeyman Ympker
  • UK is a pretty good place to register your business. Relatively low corporation tax and limited amounts it paperwork.

Thanked by 1Boogeyman
  • @BlaZe said: If you like Biden or Trump, then USA

I think stripe atlas program is costly. Lawyer charges less maybe?
    Found Namecheap is also doing this formation thing https://www.namecheap.com/apps/application/namecheap-legal-services-incorporation-llc-formation-trademark-registration/

• @CConner said:

@netfox said:

@Ympker said:

It's Estonia

Interesting to hear! Thanks for sharing :)

• @AC_Fan said:
    I believe the UK is popular for remote companies, as is Singapore and the US. It's a free for all after that.

nothing for free, my friend.
    there still ongoing annual fees.

• I checked out Estonian e-residency program and found some other countries in EU offering e-residency program. Looked promising to me. But as few stated their experience I think I should leave the idea of e-residency and think about business formation alone.

• US:
    Pros:
    High privacy (depending on state)
    Cheap to maintain (depending on state)
    Easy to get bank accounts, payment gateway stuff etc.
    Most simple country to get a company up and running (after EIN of course)
    Many states to choose from so you can find the best to incorporate for your business (I prefer a combination of privacy, cheap, low taxes and proper management by the SOS)
    Cons:
    Need to get EIN, most cases you need to send your passport to the US
    Can be expensive

UK:
    Pros:
    Fully online setup for non residents
    Easy to update company info
    Proper register of all companies
    Cons:
    Publicly viewable accounts, regular statements
    Director information is publicly available such as DOB, which can lead to Identity theft
    Other information is also very public, such as Director service address, secretaries, UBOs etc.

• There is no sense to create a company in a country where you don't live.
    If you feel free to move to another country, go for UK (so easy to create, and keep a company alive), or Estonia (cost of life is so cheap...).

• @mezoology said:

@AC_Fan said:
    I believe the UK is popular for remote companies, as is Singapore and the US. It's a free for all after that.

nothing for free, my friend.
    there still ongoing annual fees.

Free for all is a phrase, it doesn't refer to the actual costs.

Thanked by 1mezoology
  • as far as i know, I think you can register a company in Singapore, there's a lot of service on the internet to help you register your company there

Thanked by 2Boogeyman JasonM
  • BoogeymanBoogeyman Member
    edited November 2020

@Tejy said: There is no sense to create a company in a country where you don't live. If you feel free to move to another country, go for UK (so easy to create, and keep a company alive), or Estonia (cost of life is so cheap...).

And why would you think that? There are many top business that are doing business as foreign entity. Likewise in some country business formation is so lengthy you will eventually get rid of the business idea. Also in some country there are politicians that don't understand how washing machine works so they ban washing machines. Let alone leave the idea of corruption, hassles to forming a business, etc.

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited November 2020

I've registered one in RAK, UAE (Ras al Khaimah) which is tax-free. You pay one time registration fee, and no taxes further. No direct corporate income taxes, no sales taxes and no wealth taxes.
    The best example is domain registry giant RADIX. Radix FZC (Free Zone Company). FZE is for sole-owner, and FZC is multi-shared-holder company.

Else try for U.S : Delaware or Oregon which is cheapest! Below $100 or something for Oregon!

Thanked by 2Boogeyman HostMayo
    edited November 2020

@JasonM said: I've registered one in RAK, UAE (Ras al Khaimah) which is tax-free. You pay one time registration fee, and no taxes further. No direct corporate income taxes, no sales taxes and no wealth taxes.

AFAIK most middle east countries are tax free. But are they business friendly? What is your experience so far?

• @CConner said:

Travel to open Bank Account there only to have it closed at the end of one year to due lack of Estonian connection :smiley:
    Travel again open another one. LHV seems stable so far but year hasn't ended yet. Know someone who has already done it thrice in 2 years lol.

@serv_ee said:
    It's a half assed program to say the least. Even us, the locals, can't understand the point in it due to lack of options you could do with it.

with the new digital nomad visa and e-residency visitors, the rental prices in Tallinn have sure gone up in the past 2-3 years :disappointed:

Read somewhere it contributed €14m to Economy. Can't verify source not in postimees or delfi or i lack googling skills.

• @Boogeyman said: But are they business friendly? What is your experience so far?

for online/ecommerce businesses, yes, they are business friendly. except Dubai.
    Also they don't need local ownership (or local partner) to register and operate that is 100% foreign ownership. Also there's single window clearance for commercial/media/ecommerce license.

the only drawback: The businesses in a particular free zone are not entitled to expand beyond their free zone limit to other areas of UAE. If you wish to do so, the business owners have to re-register their company as a private business.

• @JasonM said: I've registered one in RAK, UAE (Ras al Khaimah) which is tax-free. You pay one time registration fee, and no taxes further. No direct corporate income taxes, no sales taxes and no wealth taxes.

How much did it cost?

@JasonM said: the only drawback: The businesses in a particular free zone are not entitled to expand beyond their free zone limit to other areas of UAE. If you wish to do so, the business owners have to re-register their company as a private business.

But not in UAE, in other countries(online business/e-commerce) can I use the same registration?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@CConner said:
    The Netherlands might also be interesting for you. We have some... interesting tax laws.
    Especially for internet businesses.

What to watch out for ?

• @cspacews said:

@CConner said:

Travel to open Bank Account there only to have it closed at the end of one year to due lack of Estonian connection :smiley:
    Travel again open another one. LHV seems stable so far but year hasn't ended yet. Know someone who has already done it thrice in 2 years lol.

@serv_ee said:

with the new digital nomad visa and e-residency visitors, the rental prices in Tallinn have sure gone up in the past 2-3 years :disappointed:

Read somewhere it contributed €14m to Economy. Can't verify source not in postimees or delfi or i lack googling skills.

LHV is a lot leaner than the rest of the banks here, thats why its probably still opened for you lol (LHV is the only one untouched by the money laundering scandal here)

As for Tallinn...well, yeah. I wouldn't stay there even if they paid me to do it. Worthless shithole.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

@Boogeyman said:

@BlaZe said: If you like Biden or Trump, then USA

Found Namecheap is also doing this formation thing https://www.namecheap.com/apps/application/namecheap-legal-services-incorporation-llc-formation-trademark-registration/

Singapore, Malta and USA

But if you think Stripe's $500 is costly and you can't pay that then I would recommend you to not start any business.. at least for now..

Sorry but If you can't pay $500 for business registration in a foreign country then I don't think you will survive or ready for work.

I would recommend you to open the business in your own country where you familiar with many laws and peoples

Thanked by 2Boogeyman TimboJones
  • @ViridWeb said:

@Boogeyman said:

@BlaZe said: If you like Biden or Trump, then USA

Singapore, Malta and USA

But if you think Stripe's $500 is costly and you can't pay that then I would recommend you to not start any business.. at least for now..

Sorry but If you can't pay $500 for business registration in a foreign country then I don't think you will survive or ready for work.

I would recommend you to open the business in your own country where you familiar with many laws and peoples

To be fair, opening a UK business costs around $20 so yeah...

edited November 2020

@ViridWeb said: But if you think Stripe's $500 is costly and you can't pay that then I would recommend you to not start any business.. at least for now..

There are cheaper solutions out there. I can afford but I don't need any extra freebies for now. Just figuring things out. Also I currently have registrations in my own country for few years. I just don't want to continue my business here.