Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

★ VirMach ★ SSD ★ 384MB KVM - $7.50/YR ★ 16GB Dedicated - $25/MO ★ 2GB KVM - $3/MO ★ DDoS Protected - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

★ VirMach ★ SSD ★ 384MB KVM - $7.50/YR ★ 16GB Dedicated - $25/MO ★ 2GB KVM - $3/MO ★ DDoS Protected

Comments

• @WorkingDude said:
    2. Owner does not value customers $2/mo are not enough for them to consider they owe you a working service

Just wanted to chime in to share my belief that generalizations are usually not always right/just.

In my case, my $4.75 / yr (not month) server was suspended with a reason of "1K+ SMTP connections". It wasn't me doing the spamming of course, so I appealed the suspension. I did get schooled a bit about being the VPS administration noob that I was (failing to install fail2ban, and not changing the hex-chars-only password that was initially assigned for that particular server at the time), but my service was still re-instantiated in a relatively short time (*).

So I did get (what I would call) fair treatment for a service that only earns them ~1/5 of yours.

Again, to be fair:
    1). I'm not claiming you're wrong in your particular case. You may have 100% certainty for all the processes running on your server not over-using port 25, not being hacked, etc, and they may have misread logs, etc. I think it's not right to just classify them publicly as refusing you as customer based on your monthly earnings for them.

2). Other that letting that server get hacked, I have not really pushed their services (i.e. my idlers) to much of a limit to see their "bad side" if they have one for a customer like me...

(*) To be fair, there was some miscommunication with them passing me the new root password, so that process couldn't be as short as it could have been, but I was still happy that I was able to keep the server.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2020

I expect the sh-t rolls down hill from the data center to Virmach to you.
    Then sh-t rolls back uphill from you to VirMach, where it stops because VirMach has to keep the data center happy for obvious reasons.
    See who is really in the middle of the sh-t here?

• edited November 2020

@TheWizard said:

@WorkingDude said:
    2. Owner does not value customers $2/mo are not enough for them to consider they owe you a working service

Just wanted to chime in to share my belief that generalizations are usually not always right/just.

In my case, my $4.75 / yr (not month) server was suspended with a reason of "1K+ SMTP connections". It wasn't me doing the spamming of course, so I appealed the suspension. I did get schooled a bit about being the VPS administration noob that I was (failing to install fail2ban, and not changing the hex-chars-only password that was initially assigned for that particular server at the time), but my service was still re-instantiated in a relatively short time (*).

So I did get (what I would call) fair treatment for a service that only earns them ~1/5 of yours.

Again, to be fair:
    1). I'm not claiming you're wrong in your particular case. You may have 100% certainty for all the processes running on your server not over-using port 25, not being hacked, etc, and they may have misread logs, etc. I think it's not right to just classify them publicly as refusing you as customer based on your monthly earnings for them.

2). Other that letting that server get hacked, I have not really pushed their services (i.e. my idlers) to much of a limit to see their "bad side" if they have one for a customer like me...

(*) To be fair, there was some miscommunication with them passing me the new root password, so that process couldn't be as short as it could have been, but I was still happy that I was able to keep the server.

Off topic

Is normal mail traffic out of port 25 encrypted?
    Can @VirMach prove user uses that port for mail abuse???

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2020

@Neoon said: The Chinese is gone on that Page, does that mean wallet rape inbound?

@TheWizard said: 2). Other that letting that server get hacked, I have not really pushed their services (i.e. my idlers) to much of a limit to see their "bad side" if they have one for a customer like me...

Side note on this, we noticed that people who did use Fail2Ban would usually be on bad settings that spiked their usage, especially on lower plans, so we are now monitoring pretty much all servers constantly for mass brute forcers. We tried to get ColoCrossing to add some firewall on their end since they could easily do it by measuring traffic over the port, but they essentially pretended that we were the only ones to receive constant bruteforces since (I guess) their network engineers don't understand how the internet works. We also couldn't get management to realize that it would benefit them.

Anyway, this has caught 250,000 IPs so far so and reduced the load as well. So even if people do fail to secure their servers, there's a little bit of something in the background.

@WorkingDude said: Liar. You said I pushed over 1 mb/s for almost 10 minutes, referring to port 25 traffic. I asked you to back it up with logs and you sent me a picture of the overall server traffic from solusvm HAHAHA Noob.

Care to share the ticket ID so I can go over it here? I promise to go over it, even if we're wrong as long as you provide the ID. That way everyone can take a look for themselves as well since you seem to want people to know about it.

@greattomeetyou said: Can @VirMach prove user uses that port for mail abuse???

We have email limits in our ToS. We estimate the quantity of e-mails based on traffic over port 25. The datacenter will see high volume as spam automatically, which we disagree with, but their limits are much higher than ours so in any case you would have to send more than our limit for it the datacenter to consider it "spam" so it would still essentially be high volume per our AUP as well.

Our own scripts do not nullroute like the datacenter, but blocks port 25.

• @VirMach said: Side note on this, we noticed that people who did use Fail2Ban would usually be on bad settings that spiked their usage

Woah, bad settings?! It's broken Fail2Ban [bug from 2015] that can't clear old entries and my SQLite database grow to like 500MB (few years, hell yeah!) and Fail2Ban was opening it every 10 seconds, increasing counters, saving and nuking the I/O.

btw. Got my cheap BF, no support services turned off for it. I investigated, fixed, said sorry in ticket and it's still working now - even to contrary popular believe here (LOL) wasn't slapped 2/10/25/50/100$ fee :D

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I do not have fail2ban on any of my boxes.
    Anyone should be allowed to send packets to my box; it's their free speech rights.
    Every day, hundreds of people are scanning my web server and trying SSH / Asterisk password.
    I welcome them all.

My box would not respond, because it's my free speech right to not speak.
    SSH is public key authentication only.
    Asterisk has randomly generated passwords and $1 in the outbound calling account.
    Postfix is uninstalled as part of my setup script.

Every month, I go to the server to delete the logs, when the disk is filled up again.

• edited November 2020

@yoursunny said: Postfix is uninstalled as part of my setup script

Do you need to expose port 25 to do outbound delivery?
    If I use iptable to disallow external network, does it still work?

@greattomeetyou said:

@yoursunny said: Postfix is uninstalled as part of my setup script

Do you need to expose port 25 to do outbound delivery?
    If I use iptable to disallow external network, does it still work?

I don't transmit or receive emails from any of my boxes. People can send me voicemail by SIP telephone, which is received into Asterisk.

• At the last moment, I decided to reverse the cancellation of one of my up-to-now unused @Virmach BF2019 boxes. It'll do fine as a slave nameserver and save an IP on one of my Proxmox servers. The consequences of no Virmach BF2020.

It would have been good to have got another multi-IP box this year. I asked sales if I could add some to a soon to be cancelled VPS but to no avail. Fair enough; I knew what I had purchased. Sales responded to my Ticket within a few hours, which is good in my book.

No gripes here!
    (What about CM Flash sales only for exiting customers - don't get unless you ask? :-D )

• I'm still salty there were never any Europe sales last years. I think at some point there was talk that it might happen later, but alas...

• @WorkingDude said:

@TimboJones said:

@WorkingDude said:
    Also his fee fees get hurt easily, make sure you address him with Your highness, and Your excellence, and Lord.

I was with you up until you said "fee fees" and now I know it was all your fault.

LOL. Use one wrong expression and your whole point is driven 6 feet deep. Oh well, can't win them all.

Oh fuck, you're the type of cunt who says "noob" about 20 times too many. Given the cry about $2/mo service, I'm guessing still living at home with mom?

Please post your ticket ID so we can see what kind of first class communications you've got there.

• Dunno why we are having these arguments here. TBH. Either you love VirMach or you hate them. If you hate them you ain't gonna be buying their services anyway. And if you love them you aren't going to walk away just because someone says something.

I rather we just move on and get ourselves ready for 2020 BF Specials.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited November 2020

My Buys 2019 Black Friday, i just paid all invoices, i am very happy with Virmach, No Problems,
    i also have a monthly, may add a few more.

==============

$97.27/yr - 1 GIGABIT

4 vCore
    12288MB RAM
    110GB SSD
    SEATTLE, WA
    12000GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$25.83/yr - 1 GIGABIT

4x vCPU
    2560MB RAM
    20GB SSD
    DALLAS, TX
    1500GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============
    $26.31/yr - 1 GIGABIT

4 vCore
    2816MB RAM
    20GB SSD
    SEATTLE, WA
    2000GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$25.22/yr - 1 GIGABIT

1 vCore
    1024MB RAM
    25GB SSD
    ATLANTA, GA
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$14.15/yr - 1 GIGABIT
    1 vCore
    2944MB RAM
    10GB SSD
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    3000GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$14.72/yr - 1 GIGABIT
    1 vCore
    2560MB RAM
    15GB SSD
    BUFFALO, NY
    2500GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$7.00/yr - 1 GIGABIT

1 vCore
    512MB RAM
    15GB SSD
    Atlanta, GA
    1000GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

$5.00/yr

1 vCore
    2048MB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Los Angeles, CA
    400GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

Thanked by 3VirMach RecD Ganonk
  • I have 13 VPS idling hard with virmach. Looking forward to this year’s flash sale.

• MingMing Member
    edited November 2020

@Ming said:
    Hello, I just paid for an order of your SSD256 Plus package, and now it shows pending, I want to know how long it will take to wait, thank you.

@VirMach Still pending after more than 10 hours.

@sdsbirdman said:
    I have 13 VPS idling hard with virmach. Looking forward to this year’s flash sale.

Solution A:

1. Login to Virmach.
    2. Select one VPS.
    3. Click "request cancellation".
    4. Select "end of billing period".
    5. Submit.
    6. Repeat for the next VPS.

Solution B:

1. Login to PayPal.
    2. Dispute any one charge.
    3. Account locked and all VPS cancelled instantly.

Pick your poison.

• @yoursunny said:

@sdsbirdman said:
    I have 13 VPS idling hard with virmach. Looking forward to this year’s flash sale.

Solution A:

1. Login to Virmach.
    2. Select one VPS.
    3. Click "request cancellation".
    4. Select "end of billing period".
    5. Submit.
    6. Repeat for the next VPS.

Solution B:

1. Login to PayPal.
    2. Dispute any one charge.
    3. Account locked and all VPS cancelled instantly.

Pick your poison.

You suck with managing VPS doesn’t mean I have to suffer with you. VirMach is a solid provider.

Thanked by 2ZA_capetown rooted
  • @VirMach
    The $2 paid machine has been cancelled. Are you experiencing technical problems?

• Looking forward to your Cyber Monday B)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@Neoon said:

Where do you collect all your GIFs

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:

google.com

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • @Neoon said:

@FAT32 said:

@Neoon said:

google.com

is it giphy.com ? :#

• GanonkGanonk Member
    edited November 2020

@painfreepc said:
    My Buys 2019 Black Friday, i just paid all invoices, i am very happy with Virmach, No Problems,

==============

$5.00/yr

1 vCore
    2048MB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Los Angeles, CA
    400GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

available to transfer Sir?

i'm interesting of $5/year :smile:

• @painfreepc said:
    $5.00/yr

1 vCore
    2048MB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Los Angeles, CA
    400GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

It's just so sexy :)

• @Ganonk said:

@painfreepc said:

==============

$5.00/yr

1 vCore
    2048MB RAM
    30GB SSD
    Los Angeles, CA
    400GB Bandwidth
    1 IP

==============

available to transfer Sir?

i'm interesting of $5/year :smile:

Not going to happen, Sorry.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • I had 1 bf vps since last year? 6ram, 75ssd for $20+. Uptime is good with small wordpress site. I learn all my devops tools with it. About 235ms frm US to Singapore. Cant find fault n will renew this year.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2020

@meilinhost said: @VirMach
    The $2 paid machine has been cancelled. Are you experiencing technical problems?

Unless you're one of the first people to get that offer you weren't supposed to be able to order it anyway so if you somehow paid for it then you can contact us for a refund.