Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Photos will end its free unlimited storage on June 1st, 2021
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Photos will end its free unlimited storage on June 1st, 2021

After 15 gigs, you’ll need to pony up for Google One.

After five years of offering unlimited free photo backups at “high quality,” Google Photos will start charging for storage once more than 15 gigs on the account have been used. The change will happen on June 1st, 2021.

All photos and documents uploaded before June 1st will not count against that 15GB cap, so you have plenty of time to decide whether to continue using Google Photos or switching to another cloud storage provider for your photos. Only photos uploaded after June 1st will begin counting against the cap.

Source: https://theverge.com/2020/11/11/21560810/google-photos-unlimited-cap-free-uploads-15gb-ending

Thanked by 2Ympker ernie88

Comments

• Yeah, I just saw this a little while ago :/. They sure chose a great day to make the announcement.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Anyone that thinks unlimited gdrive is here to stay is lying to themselves.

Francisco

• free=expensive=Non-permanent

• That sux, but it was kinda obvious. Glad that the already uploaded photos won't count towards that limit. I'll see how it pans out. Might migrate to Amazon Unlimited Photo Storage for Prime users. At least that's not entirely a "free" service but for paying prime users, so perhaps that'll last longer.

• Sad news but there had to be an end for this. Any good alternatives for unlimited photo and video storage? Except for Amazon as it is available in a few countries only.

• @ernie88 said:
    Sad news but there had to be an end for this. Any good alternatives for unlimited photo and video storage? Except for Amazon as it is available in a few countries only.

Unlimited? Probably not. But, depending on how much you have stored and how long you plan on storing it, the cost of a NAS and high density drives might start to look more palatable...

Thanked by 1ernie88
  • Smart move. Now that people are used to upload their photos for free to Google Photos to save space on their device, most won't oppose to pay a small fee to keep doing the same thing.
    A NAS might be a more cost-effective solution but it is definitely not for everyone.

Thanked by 3Ympker jetchirag Ouji
  • @Francisco said:
    Anyone that thinks unlimited gdrive is here to stay is lying to themselves.

Francisco

I'm curious how they will play out the closure of all unlimited accounts, it's something I imagine would be a PR nightmare..

@dahartigan said: I'm curious how they will play out the closure of all unlimited accounts, it's something I imagine would be a PR nightmare..

Well they already hiked the price forcing people into plans that have a documented, unenforced, 5TB limit. There is an 'unlimited' option but you supposedly have to ask Google to increase the limit and to justify your usage.

I could be wrong but I still think by spring/summer of next year gdrive will be gone.

I'm hedging my bets as such and making sure I got easy access to more Slab hardware.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said: I'm curious how they will play out the closure of all unlimited accounts, it's something I imagine would be a PR nightmare..

Well they already hiked the price forcing people into plans that have a documented, unenforced, 5TB limit. There is an 'unlimited' option but you supposedly have to ask Google to increase the limit and to justify your usage.

I could be wrong but I still think by spring/summer of next year gdrive will be gone.

I'm hedging my bets as such and making sure I got easy access to more Slab hardware.

Francisco

Yeah they hiked the prices etc for new customers, existing is fine. I can't see them booting existing gsuite customers.

Hedge your bets, you have a stallion in the race, you can't lose either way.

@dahartigan said: Hedge your bets, you have a stallion in the race, you can't lose either way.

You think google's OK with storing a couple PB for a single user for $20/m?

There's more than a few people with stashes that big.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said: Hedge your bets, you have a stallion in the race, you can't lose either way.

Francisco

I never said anything about a couple of PB.. that's an absurd abuse of gsuite IMO. Best Google could do IMO is find the 1% of users and force them to justify their use or be gone.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2020

-- deleted by user - -

• Which is better option Google Drive or Google Photos to store my blog images that are severed on my site? It's just less than 15GB!

• @JasonM said:
    Which is better option Google Drive or Google Photos to store my blog images that are severed on my site? It's just less than 15GB!

When the new change comes, it won't matter, since both will come out of the same (free) 15GB allotment.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Depends on the usage. I have 140TB media, cant afford a NAS for that ($5000+)so had to use the workspace. much cheaper at $20/m and no one-time big cost.

• @ernie88 said:
    Sad news but there had to be an end for this. Any good alternatives for unlimited photo and video storage? Except for Amazon as it is available in a few countries only.

Yandex?
    https://yandex.com/support/disk/media-upload.html#enable-autoupload

Thanked by 1ernie88
  • ernie88ernie88 Member
    edited November 2020

@user123 said:

Unlimited? Probably not. But, depending on how much you have stored and how long you plan on storing it, the cost of a NAS and high density drives might start to look more palatable...

Thought of unlimited alternatives but NAS could be an option or cheap storage VPS. While videos could still be uploaded to my private playlist on Youtube.

Since I'm located close to them prefer giving my info to the NSA rather than KGB. So not using any of Russian services.

• Legacy Gsuite affected?

• @dragon1993 said:
    Legacy Gsuite affected?

Everything that has google account.

• @dragon1993 said:
    Legacy Gsuite affected?

As far as I know, legacy GSuites accounts will be migrated to the new plans sooner or later.

• ernie88ernie88 Member
    edited November 2020

@ernie88 said:
    Any good alternatives for unlimited photo and video storage? Except for Amazon as it is available in a few countries only.

Just remembered about G Cloud by Zoolz but for mobile. They offer unlimited storage for 5 devices at just $3.99 or $39.99 with yearly payment. I've been using their Zoolz computer backup for a few years now and more than happy with it. Thinking their G Cloud should work great as well. Will give it a try next summer.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I've been paying for extra photos storage for a few years but even still it's disappointing to see Google end the unlimited free tier. Google photos is such a strong part of the Android experience and this move slightly devalues that advantage.

• @jbiloh said:
    I've been paying for extra photos storage for a few years but even still it's disappointing to see Google end the unlimited free tier. Google photos is such a strong part of the Android experience and this move slightly devalues that advantage.

Then Google have foolishly opened the gates for a third party to swoop in on that with a replacement app/service etc

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Nothing is free in life

• perhaps they have achieve what they want with all those photos and videos uploaded to their server.....

ai and machine learning have matured....

thus no need for more media to be uploaded,for free...

/just speculation

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

To the people that uploaded 100TB stashes: fuck you — this is why we can’t have nice things.

I’ll have to pay $10/mo extra for 3 TB less when they eventually move everyone from GSuite — and I only had something like 200 GB stored. Sigh.

Thanked by 2JasonM TimboJones
  • @doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

To the people that uploaded 100TB stashes: fuck you — this is why we can’t have nice things.

Honestly, I think this kind of change would have happened regardless. It's good for profit and they're going to keep a significant number of (now paying) customers simply because they're (we're) so used to using their service and it's embedded in our workflow. Inertia is profitable.

Someone on /r/datahoarder brought up a pretty obvious point. Google needs to make sure each division is profitable due to the ongoing threat of them being busted apart.

There's a very real chance we see limitations on Youtube uploads too.

Francisco

Thanked by 10xbkt
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Francisco gsuite would be very profitable regardless. Although I'm sure it would be more profitable with a crack down they would also run the risk of alienating customers who might be legitimately using more than average.