Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for LowEndBox exclusive plans under $12/year - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for LowEndBox exclusive plans under $12/year

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@rcy026 said:

@adly said:

@dustinc said:

@adly said:
    @dustinc why no IPv6? It’s really disappointing given the value of your deals.

Hi @adly - we've been growing based on the demand of our end users. We're quickly scaling our business in a positive way. We've achieved tons of growth, expansion and have had success with the locations we've launched. Some and most are rather new locations for us so a lot of work in the making. When we launched some of these locations, it was understood we'd be lacking IPv6. Though I'm very happy to say we offer native IPv6 in our Los Angeles location so for those looking for native IPv6, this location is an option. Otherwise, an alternative option would be using tunnelbroker.net (which is free) - speaking of which we should probably do a tutorial on this.

Thanks for your response. But given widespread EU IPv6 rollout, I think you’re missing a trick not supporting it.

I second this. I've been waiting for RN to open a European location, and then when they finally do it doesn't have ipv6. FML. :disappointed:
    It's quite annoying to have to deal with multiple providers, but it seems impossible to find just one that ticks all the boxes.

IPv6 is great, but for most, it isn't a "must have" - so that works out in our favor, though I agree it'd be nice to have. For those looking for an alternative, we've seen tunnelbroker do the job. I understand for some, it's going to be a must have, and that is where we fall short :(

• In my opinion IPv4 is the .com where IPv6 is the 99c TLD - I can't fathom why people would want to use IPv6 when an IPv4 address is available.

• @dahartigan said:
    In my opinion IPv4 is the .com where IPv6 is the 99c TLD - I can't fathom why people would want to use IPv6 when an IPv4 address is available.

IPv4 is not available for long

• @Jorbox said:

@dahartigan said:
    In my opinion IPv4 is the .com where IPv6 is the 99c TLD - I can't fathom why people would want to use IPv6 when an IPv4 address is available.

Correct, but right now it's still available but perhaps soon it won't be. Personally, the only thing that will push me to use IPv6 and forsake IPv4 is when I can no longer get a cheap VPS with IPv4.

As an analogy, here in Australia, a pack of 20 cigarettes used to cost around $8 back in 2000. Now they cost closer to $40, and that's not because of inflation but govt taxes, so they have risen in price significantly. People have not generally stopped smoking (myself included) we just pay the higher price. I feel the same way with IPv6, and I'm sure many others do too. There's nothing pushing us to adopt it.

@Jorbox said:

@dahartigan said:

I personally believe there is plenty of IPv4, the "shortage" has been a claim for many many many years, and yet there is always IPs. An abundance of IPs. Whether you're getting them through your transit provider, your datacenter, leasing them, etc. I don't think there will come a point where there isn't any available at all.

I do agree with @dahartigan that pricing will fluctuate. Especially on outright purchases, but leasing them, etc, quite aggressive rates can be found, despite the many years of "IPv4 is depleted".

• Would you allow seeding of ISO's on AMS location? :-D

@godslayer said:
    Would you allow seeding of ISO's on AMS location? :-D

As long as it is legal :)

• @dustinc curious, do you permit VT-x passthrough/nested virtualisation? Not for actual production use, obviously, but for testing KVM/tools and development.

• @adly said:
    @dustinc curious, do you permit VT-x passthrough/nested virtualisation? Not for actual production use, obviously, but for testing KVM/tools and development.

hi @adly, when I last asked - yes, they do :)

Thanked by 2adly dahartigan

@adly said:
    @dustinc curious, do you permit VT-x passthrough/nested virtualisation? Not for actual production use, obviously, but for testing KVM/tools and development.

Hello - we do allow CPU passthrough, however, we do not allow nested virtualization.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Nothing personal, @dustinc but shouldn't this thread stay (well, largely) on topic? Maybe you should open a RackNerds thread as there obviously is quite some interest.

(Background: Would other providers want to put their promos/specials for $12 or $24 inmidst of a thread that is largely dominated by discussions re. one (1) provider? I guess many rather would not)

Thanked by 1godslayer

@jsg said:
    Nothing personal, @dustinc but shouldn't this thread stay (well, largely) on topic? Maybe you should open a RackNerds thread as there obviously is quite some interest.

(Background: Would other providers want to put their promos/specials for $12 or $24 inmidst of a thread that is largely dominated by discussions re. one (1) provider? I guess many rather would not)

I'm with you, threads should typically stay within the original topic. Which is what my initial post was. Though, since the deal, I posted within topic is quite attractive, many had questions regarding our service offering. So it is my obligation to answer questions, and ensure I'm providing enough information for those to make a decision.

Apologies if it went off track.

• @dustinc I've sent you a DM. Let me know if you'd prefer email/another method of contact.

@adly said:
    @dustinc I've sent you a DM. Let me know if you'd prefer email/another method of contact.

Hello, I'm reachable via DM. Alternatively [email protected]. Any method you prefer is fine with me.

• @dahartigan said:

@Jorbox said:

@dahartigan said:

Correct, but right now it's still available but perhaps soon it won't be. Personally, the only thing that will push me to use IPv6 and forsake IPv4 is when I can no longer get a cheap VPS with IPv4.

As an analogy, here in Australia, a pack of 20 cigarettes used to cost around $8 back in 2000. Now they cost closer to $40, and that's not because of inflation but govt taxes, so they have risen in price significantly. People have not generally stopped smoking (myself included) we just pay the higher price. I feel the same way with IPv6, and I'm sure many others do too. There's nothing pushing us to adopt it.

Well, in a social medical system, I'm kind of for that (proportional cause and cost), but I say that where a pack of budget smokes is closer to $14, not $40. They keep bumping it up by like $0.50 and we get less smokers this way, I can see smokers going ape shit if it went to $40 quickly. And also, illegal smuggling.

Afaik, the US government has done the most towards IPV6 advancement, in terms of subsidizing companies (billions) for over two decades and mandating it for US services at some point. Commercial adoption is another thing.

In Canada, our broadband providers are set with IPV4's (I used to get 5 included with a $60/mo DSL plan with Telus like 5 years ago and currently get two with Shaw for free).

There's no end user benefit and just causes more tech support and QA testing than being IPV4 only. The current benefits are for providers and developers who need their software to work through firewalls and nat'd addresses.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Ouji
  • Ordered it and it was provisioned instantly. Hopefully the quality stays the same over the next year and I will renew it 😂.

Thanked by 1dustinc

@TheKiller said:

Ordered it and it was provisioned instantly. Hopefully the quality stays the same over the next year and I will renew it 😂.

Awesome - thank you for giving us the opportunity!

Our service level shall remain the same :) If you find otherwise, be sure to get in touch with me [email protected]

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited November 2020

Biggest downside is no IPv6, particularly in AMS which is presumably not CC. Perhaps for some it’s not needed, but unless someone takes a stand it will never be supported as standard and there are beginning to be IPv6 primary (only?) networks.

• @adly said:
    Biggest downside is no IPv6, particularly in AMS which is presumably not CC. Perhaps for some it’s not needed, but unless someone takes a stand it will never be supported as standard and there are beginning to be IPv6 primary (only?) networks.

I feel like IPv6 will always only be a "compatibility hack" and a compromise.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@adly said: particularly in AMS which is presumably not CC

CC has a POP in AMS for about a year or so... so... yeah...

Thanked by 1adly
  • @dahartigan said:
    I feel like IPv6 will always only be a "compatibility hack" and a compromise.

Depends on which part of the world you are in I guess.
    Here in Sweden ipv6 is starting to be a basic demand, you cant do business with some of the big companies or governments here if you do not support ipv6. It hasn't replaced ipv4 yet, but I don't think it will take many years before the question is reversed and will be "do you still support ipv4"?

• tomletomle Member, LIR

No, CC in AMS? That's not what I signed up for :(
    Also, Google says nothing about CC in AMS...

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@tomle said:
    No, CC in AMS? That's not what I signed up for :(
    Also, Google says nothing about CC in AMS...

8.|-- hbg-bb4-link.telia.net                       0.0%    10   30.5  26.6  20.3  35.4   4.9
      9.|-- adm-bb4-link.telia.net                       0.0%    10   22.3  24.5  21.8  28.0   2.6
     10.|-- adm-b2-link.telia.net                        0.0%    10   25.5  27.8  22.1  42.0   6.5
     11.|-- colocrossing-svc069449-ic354460.c.telia.net  0.0%    10   22.3  25.4  21.8  36.4   4.2
     12.|-- ???                                         100.0    10    0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0
     13.|-- xxx-x-xxx-xxx-host.colocrossing.com          0.0%    10   22.3  23.9  19.9  32.1   3.5

Though I don't know whether they use CC in AMS or not.

Thanked by 1tomle
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@adly said:

If you belong to the ColoCleansing inner circle, IPv6 is haram.

Thanked by 2adly TimboJones
  • This sounds fantastic for my personal server: a contact app, notes app, calendar app, and a WireGuard VPN and if it works out fine then a Borg server as well. Basically some simple apps installed for personal usage.

I think BF should have more such deals and hopefully at a location that's way closer to India.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • @Devil said:

This sounds fantastic for my personal server: a contact app, notes app, calendar app, and a WireGuard VPN and if it works out fine then a Borg server as well. Basically some simple apps installed for personal usage.

I think BF should have more such deals and hopefully at a location that's way closer to India.

The hardest part me for was choosing just 1, they're all too tempting lol.. ended up getting a bunch of different sizes since they're the best deals I've been able to find lately and didn't wanna risk missing out.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • @dustinc I was wondering if you could tell what processor this one uses for LA?
    https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=2

Shared by one of the members on Page 1.

@CasualCanvas said:
    @dustinc I was wondering if you could tell what processor this one uses for LA?
    https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=2

Shared by one of the members on Page 1.

Absolutely! We are using DUAL E5-2695v2 in Los Angeles

• @dustinc said:

@webcraft said:

Which processor?

Hello, DUAL E5-2680v2 with pure SSD storage :)

these are fair use cores right?

@drunkendog said:

@dustinc said:

@webcraft said:

Which processor?

Hello, DUAL E5-2680v2 with pure SSD storage :)

these are fair use cores right?

Hello, that is correct :)