Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Help setting up IPv6 on BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Help setting up IPv6 on BuyVM

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone who has BuyVM could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've never been able to figure out the proper method to enable an IPV6 address on Debian 10, so I've just been using v4 only. I figured that while I'm setting up a new VM, I'd give it another go.

These are the steps I've taken:
1. I went to BuyVM's Stallion control panel and added a new IPv6 address. I just put random digits in each box, since I don't really care what the address is.
2. I edited my interfaces file, and created a file for the interface at /etc/network/interfaces.d. This is my interfaces file, and this is my eth0 file.

After restarting the VM, I'm unable to ping Google over IPv6. I get a destination unreachable error. Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

  • Shouldn't you contact buyvm support instead ?

    Thanked by 1WebProject
  • thedpthedp Member
    edited November 3

    Try adding these in your interfaces file.

    up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add your_ipv6
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add your_ipv6_gw dev eth0
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add default via your_ipv6_gw
    
    Thanked by 1Doobadobadoo

    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale -- Take 30% off for a limited time!

  • @momkin said:
    Shouldn't you contact buyvm support instead ?

    I figure it isn't really a BuyVM issue, more that I'm doing something incorrectly.

  • @thedp said:
    Try adding these in your interfaces file.

    up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add your_ipv6
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add your_ipv6_gw dev eth0
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add default via your_ipv6_gw
    

    Thanks, I'll give it a go.

  • WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

    @momkin said:
    Shouldn't you contact buyvm support instead ?

    its complicated for majority of people and this is a reason why they do prefer the LET Helpdesk!

    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • @lokuzard said:

    @momkin said:
    Shouldn't you contact buyvm support instead ?

    Seriously?

    What ?
    Since buyvm support is good why shouldn't he contact them ?
    If you contact ovh support you will receive a response in 1 week if you are lucky :smile:

  • @momkin said: What ?
    Since buyvm support is good why shouldn't he contact them ?

    Well, like most providers here, BuyVM sell unmanaged VPSes, and so the question of how to set up IPv6 on the OS of one's VPS isn't covered by support, at least not normally.

    It would be a different question if IPv6 wasn't working at the network level, in which case it would be something that only BuyVM could address.

    Thanked by 1skorous

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited November 3

    @Doobadobadoo said: I was wondering if someone who has BuyVM could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've never been able to figure out the proper method to enable an IPV6 address on Debian 10, so I've just been using v4 only. I figured that while I'm setting up a new VM, I'd give it another go.

    Assuming that BuyVM have set up their KVM templates properly for IPv6, you could first install a Debian template and save a copy of the network settings and then use these settings when you install from an ISO. In general, this is a good strategy to follow.

    (But I can't confirm that BuyVM have set up their KVM templates properly for IPv6.)

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

  • @Doobadobadoo said:
    Hi guys,

    I was wondering if someone who has BuyVM could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've never been able to figure out the proper method to enable an IPV6 address on Debian 10, so I've just been using v4 only. I figured that while I'm setting up a new VM, I'd give it another go.

    These are the steps I've taken:
    1. I went to BuyVM's Stallion control panel and added a new IPv6 address. I just put random digits in each box, since I don't really care what the address is.

    What does this mean? Are the IP's not just assigned to you?

  • @thedp said:
    Try adding these in your interfaces file.

    up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add your_ipv6
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add your_ipv6_gw dev eth0
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add default via your_ipv6_gw
    

    Dude, he didn't grok you were using variables he needed to replace (tip: use $'s, not that he'd grok, either, but maybe).

    Needs more hand holding...

  • SaahibSaahib Member
    edited November 3

    @Doobadobadoo said:
    Hi guys,

    I was wondering if someone who has BuyVM could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've never been able to figure out the proper method to enable an IPV6 address on Debian 10, so I've just been using v4 only. I figured that while I'm setting up a new VM, I'd give it another go.

    These are the steps I've taken:
    1. I went to BuyVM's Stallion control panel and added a new IPv6 address. I just put random digits in each box, since I don't really care what the address is.
    2. I edited my interfaces file, and created a file for the interface at /etc/network/interfaces.d. This is my interfaces file, and this is my eth0 file.

    After restarting the VM, I'm unable to ping Google over IPv6. I get a destination unreachable error. Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

    Thanks.

    You can't use just random stuff for IPv6, they must have provided you some IPv6 or IPv6 range, you to use that. You also need to add that IP in your OS.

  • thedpthedp Member

    @TimboJones said:

    @thedp said:
    Try adding these in your interfaces file.

    up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add your_ipv6
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add your_ipv6_gw dev eth0
    post-up /sbin/ip -r route add default via your_ipv6_gw
    

    Dude, he didn't grok you were using variables he needed to replace (tip: use $'s, not that he'd grok, either, but maybe).

    Needs more hand holding...

    Oh well, I tried.

    Hope he managed 😄

    Brandable IT/Hosting & Miscellaneous Domain Names For Sale -- Take 30% off for a limited time!

  • @TimboJones said:

    @Doobadobadoo said:
    Hi guys,

    I was wondering if someone who has BuyVM could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've never been able to figure out the proper method to enable an IPV6 address on Debian 10, so I've just been using v4 only. I figured that while I'm setting up a new VM, I'd give it another go.

    These are the steps I've taken:
    1. I went to BuyVM's Stallion control panel and added a new IPv6 address. I just put random digits in each box, since I don't really care what the address is.

    What does this mean? Are the IP's not just assigned to you?

    IIRC you get a /64 subnet and you then have to manually add a (or many) IPs.

    Why you would enter random numbers instead of just putting a 1 in the last box is a mystery to me though.

  • You can check what IPs are assigned with ip -6 a and the routes with ip -6 r

  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Provider

    Ticket and ill help :) we always do as best we can to help.

    Francisco

    Thanked by 2hostkar Bayu
    BuyVM - Free DirectAdmin, Softaculous, & Blesta! / Anycast Support! / Windows 2008, 2012, & 2016! / Unmetered Bandwidth!
    BuyShared - Shared & Reseller Hosting / cPanel + Softaculous + CloudLinux / Pure SSD! / Free Dedicated IP Address
  • BayuBayu Member

    @angstrom said: Well, like most providers here, BuyVM sell unmanaged VPSes, and so the question of how to set up IPv6 on the OS of one's VPS isn't covered by support, at least not normally.

    I also had difficulty setting up ipv6 on buyvm vps. While this is not clearly documented on the wiki page. A ticket asking about how to set up IPv6 on vps at BuyVM will be responded quick well. So is covered by support and their staff will help you to set on your vps.

    Thanked by 1angstrom

    ...

  • angstromangstrom Member
    edited November 9

    @Bayu said:

    @angstrom said: Well, like most providers here, BuyVM sell unmanaged VPSes, and so the question of how to set up IPv6 on the OS of one's VPS isn't covered by support, at least not normally.

    I also had difficulty setting up ipv6 on buyvm vps. While this is not clearly documented on the wiki page. A ticket asking about how to set up IPv6 on vps at BuyVM will be responded quick well. So is covered by support and their staff will help you to set on your vps.

    Okay, good to know.

    Nevertheless, in general, a customer shouldn't automatically assume that a provider's support will help them set up IPv6 on the OS of their unmanaged VPS.

    Thanked by 2skorous TimboJones

    "Linux will run happily with only 4 MB of RAM, including all of the bells and whistles such as the X Window System, Emacs, and so on." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 32)

Sign In or Register to comment.