Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softaculous Licensing Problem? Reasonable Explanation for Lack of Paid Version?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softaculous Licensing Problem? Reasonable Explanation for Lack of Paid Version?

One of the hosts I signed up for advertised Softaculous/cPanel. When I try to install WP, the panel states that the host is using the free version of Softaculous. I open a ticket. The host tells me there is a licensing problem with Softaculous which has no ETA for resolution. Providers, is that a reasonable answer?

I ask because I've had this problem before. The last time, I assume the host just paid and Softaculous started working. So I view the answer I received skeptically. Before I do anything else, I'd like experts (hosts/providers) to weigh in. Thanks.

Comments

• tester4tester4 Member
    edited October 2020

The Softaculous development team isn't the best and a lot of corners are cut, but I'm fairly confident that licensing issue will be more likely a payment issue from your hosting provider. Softaculous has been around forever, I doubt the licensing system has any issues.

Could be a Softaculous issue though! I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem though.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

there is nothing of this sort of licensing issue

moreover softaculous support is mostly online 24x7

further more, say i am a host, i do not mind paying for the licensing, the softaculous then becomes a free version

@MTUser2012, mind stating the provider here, and let them clarify in case they are around

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Thanks. That is my guess too. But, coming from a provider that lends credence to my guess.

@tester4 said:
    The Softaculous development team isn't the best and a lot of corners are cut, but I'm fairly confident that licensing issue will be more likely a payment issue from your hosting provider. Softaculous has been around forever, I doubt the licensing system has any issues.

Could be a Softaculous issue though! I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem though.

• Thanks. So probably a payment issue too is your guess. This problem is with a provider that advertised on LET. I guess I am going to ask them to pay for Softaculous or just give me my money back and I will move on.

@agentmishra said:

further more, say i am a host, i do not mind paying for the licensing, the softaculous then becomes a free version

@MTUser2012, mind stating the provider here, and let them clarify in case they are around

• @MTUser2012 said:
    Thanks. So probably a payment issue too is your guess. This problem is with a provider that advertised on LET. I guess I am going to ask them to pay for Softaculous or just give me my money back and I will move on.

@agentmishra said:

This is most likely either a licensing billing issue or IP swap issue. Nothing else would make sense. But then again, nothing makes sense today.

• Unless they get their license from a third party and some manual intervention is needed.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • @agentmishra said:

What?

• @TimboJones said:

@agentmishra said:

What?

I believe in that case, you can only install few scripts as in free version. He mentions that.

• If the host is a reseler, his main/upstream provider should pay the bill for Softaculous.

I was using a reseler hosting with free whmcs and they didn't pay their invoice on time. I couldn't login to my Admin area that time (But client login will work). Moreover that provider's support team was not working on weekends. So they paid the bill for WHMCS on Monday and then only i got access.
    They stopped giving me free whmcs later. Anyhow I moved my accounts from that host whose support was zero on weekends.

• This issue ended up getting resolved. The host told me that they had resolved the problem and I could use Softaculous to install WP. My suspicion, and that is all it is, is that the host simply paid the bill for Softaculous. Perhaps the host saw this post? Anyway, thanks for the help LET.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MTUser2012 said: thanks for the help LET

Thanked by 1MTUser2012