Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is 100mpbs for a mail server good enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

is 100mpbs for a mail server good enough?

I need to run a small mail server, 3-4 mailboxes, the rest aliases. Practically no email being sent out. Is a 100mpbs, ok?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes.

Thanked by 1pike
  • Thanks!

• Unless you're attaching ISOs to your emails, yes it's enough.

Thanked by 1pike
  • @Hoptrics said:
    Unless you're attaching ISOs to your emails, yes it's enough.

Thanks

• guerilla said fuck the thanks button

• Fixed that for him.

• @pike said:
    Fixed that for him.

Thanks

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@guerrilla said:
    I need to run a small mail server, 3-4 mailboxes, the rest aliases. Practically no email being sent out. Is a 100mpbs, ok?

Thanks.

Even 20 Mb/s would be plenty. Even with occasionally attached ISO.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I think you need 10 gigabit at least.

Thanked by 1wdmg
  • How are you planning on setting up this mail server. I think most mail will go into peoples spam boxes. I haven't set one up in a year or so though there might be easier solutions now?

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

Yes, it's enough.

• @evanwalters said: How are you planning on setting up this mail server. I think most mail will go into peoples spam boxes. I haven't set one up in a year or so though there might be easier solutions now?

SPF, DKIM are mandatory today, also PFS, DANE can help.

• how many emails do you expect to receive at any one time...??and is there attachement...??

if just plain/html email,even with hundreds at any one time, i believe that even 5mbps would be enough....

• alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2020

@guerilla
    Is a 100mpbs, ok?

E-mails were designed in a time where 100 Mb/s would have been total luxury. So, yes, you could even run a mail server on much less than 100 Mb/s.

@evanwalters said:
    I think most mail will go into peoples spam boxes.

That shouldn't be the case if:

• The IPs are clean (= not blacklisted already), and
    • your mail server is configured correctly.

For the first requirement: if you get an IP address assigned that was previously used for spamming, then you won't see good delivery rates of course. Best way to prevent that from happening is to rely on a provider that has a "zero-spam" policy and actually monitors whether users cause their IP addresses to land on those blacklists.

For the second requirement: setup SFP and DKIM on your mail server, and also configure reverse DNS entries. If you are done with it, send a mail to mail-tester.com and see if there is still some recommendation left you can implement to optimise your mail server.

If you can fulfil both requirements, email delivery on a VPS won't give you any headaches and all you mails will land in the receivers mailbox.