Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jitsi meet on LEB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Jitsi meet on LEB?

JarryJarry Member

Does anyone have some experience with running own Jitsi meet video conferencing server on LEB? First I tried Nextcloud & Talk, but it scales badly. On my Contabo "VPS S SSD" (4vcpu, 8gb ram) it is unusable for more than 5 participants, and I need solution for 20-25 users. Does Jitsi scale better? Or should I use some other private voip-conferencing solution?

Comments

• @Jarry said:
    Does anyone have some experience with running own Jitsi meet video conferencing server on LEB? First I tried Nextcloud & Talk, but it scales badly. On my Contabo "VPS S SSD" (4vcpu, 8gb ram) it is unusable for more than 5 participants, and I need solution for 20-25 users. Does Jitsi scale better? Or should I use some other private voip-conferencing solution?

buy a dedicated server for dedicated resources. and location near your user.

• depends a lot on what your 20-25 users will use... like all with video or only some or no one etc. jitsi also offers some options to fiddle with the default video quality...

dunno about contabo but at hetzner with CPX21 meetings with up to 50 people are no problem at all, though only a few had their cameras turned on.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL vimalware
  • @Jarry said:
    Nextcloud Talk is unusable for more than 5 participants

This is not necessarily due to the VPN resources being limited. I talked to them during the summer and they told me that Talk is not currently suitable for more than 5 call participants. They are very aware of this and apparently working hard to overcome the issue (no timeframe though).

• If you are not fixed on Jitsi, try BigBlueButton. Scales better than Jitsi.

• @saibal said:
    If you are not fixed on Jitsi, try BigBlueButton. Scales better than Jitsi.

But expect to get your users and server pwnd because BBBs security managment is on the same level as kimsufis support

• @Jarry, I believe both Jitsi and Talk can handle above 50 participants on your VPS. They both just relay streams without transcoding or muxing.

The difference is that Jitsi Meet only uses peer-to-peer for 1-to-1 meetings. This is why you don't notice the same early scalability issues. Nextcloud Talk is peer-to-peer by default and the limit is usually the upload speed of the clients because they have to spread their streams to everyone. To scale beyond 5 participants per room, you can drop the p2p connections and set up the high performance backend on the server: https://github.com/strukturag/nextcloud-spreed-signaling

Tip: The "External Sites" plugin allows you to embed Jitsi Meet into your Nextcloud installation. This way you can keep file sharing and enjoy all the advantages Jitsi Meet has (raising hands, guest call creation without account etc.)

Thanked by 1rcxb