Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ShortPixel + ShortPixel Adaptive Images (CDN credit) Lifetime Deal on Appsumo - from 49.99$
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ShortPixel + ShortPixel Adaptive Images (CDN credit) Lifetime Deal on Appsumo - from 49.99$

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited October 2020 in General

Right now what I was waiting for on Black Friaday/Cyber Monday was not necessarily more hosting deals (although I am always on the lookout for shared/reseller deals) but some cool (Lifetime) Deals. Shortpixel are running their 4th Appsumo promo and it's a great deal for sure :)

I use ShortPixel a lot on my own and my client's WordPress sites. 15k credits per month is definitely very nice to have. Adding that 125GB CDN credit makes it even more interesting of a deal.

Link: https://appsumo.com/shortpixel/

Comments

• Whats with all the lifetime stuff lately? Every time I see the word "lifetime" when it comes to buying something I get shivers. I get thats its the products lifetime and all but just kinda...shady all around.

• Fyi their cdn is trash.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2020

@jahrinc said:
    Fyi their cdn is trash.

Good to know. Was giving BunnyCDN a look lately, anyway. More about the monthly credits for me, because I am currently on the free tier (100/mo). With all the thumbnails that need to be resized (e.g. 17 images usually equate to another 50+ish thumbnails/preview images) this will be quite helpful. I often though about purchasing one-off credits but this is even better (for me) ;)

@serv_ee said:
    Whats with all the lifetime stuff lately? Every time I see the word "lifetime" when it comes to buying something I get shivers. I get thats its the products lifetime and all but just kinda...shady all around.

They are well known and long established though. Still, I hear you. Would you think renaming it to "one-time/owned deal" would make it sound better or scare less ppl off? I mean, I could do that in the future. Thing is on Appsumo (and similar sites) deals like this are still usually being marketed as "lifetime".

• @Ympker said:

@jahrinc said:
    Fyi their cdn is trash.

Good to know. Was giving BunnyCDN a look lately, anyway. More about the monthly credits for me, because I am currently on the free tier (100/mo). With all the thumbnails that need to be resized (e.g. 17 images usually equate to another 50+ish thumbnails/preview images) this will be quite helpful. I often though about purchasing one-off credits but this is even better (for me) ;)

@serv_ee said:
    Whats with all the lifetime stuff lately? Every time I see the word "lifetime" when it comes to buying something I get shivers. I get thats its the products lifetime and all but just kinda...shady all around.

They are well known and long established though. Still, I hear you. Would you think renaming it to "one-time/owned deal" would make it sound better or scare less ppl off? I mean, I could do that in the future. Thing is on Appsumo (and similar sites) deals like this are still usually being marketed as "lifetime".

Ah sorry I didnt mean your posts by that but all the VPN-s etc offering it using the word "lifetime" hah. If THEY could actually use some other wording for it that would be swell. It's kinda misleading in the end. As most people dont ever bother to read ToS so they have to eventually start explaining it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee said:

@Ympker said:

@jahrinc said:
    Fyi their cdn is trash.

@serv_ee said:

Ah sorry I didnt mean your posts by that but all the VPN-s etc offering it using the word "lifetime" hah. If THEY could actually use some other wording for it that would be swell. It's kinda misleading in the end. As most people dont ever bother to read ToS so they have to eventually start explaining it.

Ah gotcha! I thought about writing a Tl;dr post about what Lifetime deals are, what you can expect from them and what to be aware of so I can link to it with every "lifetime" Deal I post (as to not answer the same question over and over again and focus on the Deal itself). Maybe I'll do that soon :)

• Fyi their cdn is trash.

Good to know. Was giving BunnyCDN a look lately, anyway. More about the monthly credits for me, because I am currently on the free tier (100/mo). With all the thumbnails that need to be resized (e.g. 17 images usually equate to another 50+ish thumbnails/preview images) this will be quite helpful. I often though about purchasing one-off credits but this is even better (for me)

iirc their CDN has changed from whatever they used to StackPath, which is quite nice (at least for me as they have a PoP on South Korea). But if you don't like it, there's also a Bring Your Own CDN option (In this case, only optimization credit is used and not CDN bandwidth allotment), which can be used with most (if not any) CDN providers incl. BunnyCDN, Cloudflare (that's against their ToS though), etc.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2020

Good deal for images compression (WP and non WP)
    CDN is for WP only and is not that great. They use stack path which is typically good

If all you need is image compression, or reduction in size, or transform to webp or avif..

There are other options available. here is a rather long list of image compression tools compiled by me.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I use it to optimize images and it's really good. Might grab another code or 2.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @vyas11 said:
    CDN is for WP only and is not that great. They use stack path which is typically good

If all you need is image compression, or reduction in size, or transform to webp or avif..

There are other options available. here is a rather long list of image compression tools compiled by me.

When you say "if all you use it for is image compression.. " do you mean to say you use it for much else? Isn't that its' main purpose? Of course, there is their CDN but like you already pointed out it's only so good apparently. Just asking because I can't remember anything else than image compression/reduction/webp I use it for. I just remember trying some different similar tools back then and checking reviews (mostly on some blogs) and what set ShortPixel apart back then was that they were really good at what they are doing (that is image compression/reduction) and easy to use with WP.

• @vyas11 said: CDN is for WP only

Actually, CDN is available for non-wp sites as well.

https://help.shortpixel.com/article/201-shortpixel-adaptive-images-api-parameters

Thanked by 2vyas11 Ympker
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2020

@Ympker said:

@vyas11 said:

When you say "if all you use it for is image compression.. " do you mean to say you use it for much else? Isn't that its' main purpose? Of course, there is their CDN but like you already pointed out it's only so good apparently. Just asking because I can't remember anything else than image compression/reduction/webp I use it for. I just remember trying some different similar tools back then and checking reviews (mostly on some blogs) and what set ShortPixel apart back then was that they were really good at what they are doing (that is image compression/reduction) and easy to use with WP.

I posted a long message but realised it is better as a 1:1 conversation... PM on OGF

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Sorry if I bump this old thread...

Compared to Imagify? How good is it?

• @DianTama said:
    Sorry if I bump this old thread...

Depends on end goal
    -Image optimization or cdn or both
    -Choice of Content Management System
    -Hosting of files
    -volume of files and traffic

• @vyas11 said:

@DianTama said:

Depends on end goal
    -Hosting of files

1. Image Optimization of course, cdn i use bunnycdn
    2. CMS using WP
    3. doesn't quite understand what this mean
    4. currently having 400k+ unoptimized image, and traffic around 100k-200k /month
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2020

@DianTama said:

@vyas11 said:

@DianTama said:

Depends on end goal
    -Hosting of files

2. CMS using WP
    4. currently having 400k+ unoptimized image, and traffic around 100k-200k /month

Shortpixel is good enough for image optimization.

By hosting I meant will the images be residing on same server as Wp or a different one? (I n your case a folder on bunnycdn?)

At 400 K + images, also look up the credits Shortpixel offer for one time use. In addition to this BF deal. I am guessing the 400 k plus images will not get replaced once optimised, or most of them will stay in Place.

Scenario I

a. Assume 4 codes- 60 K images compressed/ month, you will need about 7 months to optimise the lot.
    b. If 10 percent of your image library is refreshed (images are replaced) every month, you will not need that fourth code.
    Or you over purchase to reduce time, the rest codes go under utilised

Scenario II

Buy 3 codes with the one time credits
    Finish optimization in 1 month

Also how about using a server with jpeg optimization script or similar on Linux?

run a batch process, check intermittently, in a couple of days you get your images

Use Shortp only for future images or most popular images

• LiteSpeed Cache has image optimization free for everyone, and the image optimization (including webp generation) can be used on non-litespeed servers.

The free "limit" is 57.6k images per day (200 images per 5 minutes). This limit can be upgraded to 1000 images per 5 minutes for $2 per month.

Sure it's not having the capabilities of shortpixel's adaptive images thing, but surely for image optimization it's perfect, and it doesn't optimize on your own servers, so not wasting CPU usage.

• Genuine question: why should I get this compared to, say, Cloudimage free tier?

• @klikli said:
    Genuine question: why should I get this compared to, say, Cloudimage free tier?

Cloudimage free tier might change or disappear at some point. That being said there is only so much difference between the various image optimization services. ShortPixel is one of the long and well established ones with a nice WordPress integration (Cloudimage has one, too), so I opted for this one. It is certainly not the only good one out there and I am not deep enough into it to call it anything like "the best", but I have been happy with their service and thought it was worth the money.

• @klikli said:
    Genuine question: why should I get this compared to, say, Cloudimage free tier?

If Cloudimage free tier allows compression of 400,000 images in free tier, go ahead!

• @Zerpy said:
    LiteSpeed Cache has image optimization free for everyone, and the image optimization (including webp generation) can be used on non-litespeed servers.

The free "limit" is 57.6k images per day (200 images per 5 minutes). This limit can be upgraded to 1000 images per 5 minutes for $2 per month.

Sure it's not having the capabilities of shortpixel's adaptive images thing, but surely for image optimization it's perfect, and it doesn't optimize on your own servers, so not wasting CPU usage.

Good for you

• gdarkogdarko Member
    edited November 2020

Try MegaOptim Unlimited plan. You don't have to worry about credits.

• @vyas11 said:

@DianTama said:

@vyas11 said:

@DianTama said:

Depends on end goal
    -Hosting of files

2. CMS using WP

Shortpixel is good enough for image optimization.

By hosting I meant will the images be residing on same server as Wp or a different one? (I n your case a folder on bunnycdn?)

At 400 K + images, also look up the credits Shortpixel offer for one time use. In addition to this BF deal. I am guessing the 400 k plus images will not get replaced once optimised, or most of them will stay in Place.

Scenario I

a. Assume 4 codes- 60 K images compressed/ month, you will need about 7 months to optimise the lot.
    b. If 10 percent of your image library is refreshed (images are replaced) every month, you will not need that fourth code.
    Or you over purchase to reduce time, the rest codes go under utilised

Scenario II

Buy 3 codes with the one time credits
    Finish optimization in 1 month

Also how about using a server with jpeg optimization script or similar on Linux?

run a batch process, check intermittently, in a couple of days you get your images

Use Shortp only for future images or most popular images

Yeah i do host my images on my server currently. and use BunnyCDN pull cdn.
    Thank you for your scenario option tho...

But yeah after some thinking, I've decided to go for imagify...
    The reason is it have Unlimited Credits to convert all my 400k+ images

and after that ill just downgrade xD

And other reason is, i use WP-Rocket as my cache optimizer, i think choosing imagify will be better for compability

@Zerpy said:
    LiteSpeed Cache has image optimization free for everyone, and the image optimization (including webp generation) can be used on non-litespeed servers.

Too bad i didn't want to use LSCache on WP, because i have use WP Rocket for my site, but that's good info tho!

• @DianTama said:
    Too bad i didn't want to use LSCache on WP, because i have use WP Rocket for my site, but that's good info tho!

You can still use the image optimization feature, even with WP-Rocket for example :)