Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenStack vs Nebula vs CloudStack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenStack vs Nebula vs CloudStack

I had a bit of playing around and spent $$ on OpenStack and hired a few people but to be honest it seems not the best option to use it as an public cloud to provide iaas. I was wondering if you had any experience with other solutions and your opinion on this?

~Cheers

Comments

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

are you building a public cloud or a private one?

• @Yakooza said:
    I had a bit of playing around and spent $$ on OpenStack and hired a few people but to be honest it seems not the best option to use it as an public cloud to provide iaas. I was wondering if you had any experience with other solutions and your opinion on this?

~Cheers

As there is no real alternative (SolusIO which is a total scam, OnApp which is more "professional" focused"), the best way to launch your IaaS is to use OpenStack with Fleio for example... Only technical knowledge required.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • telimptelimp Member
    edited October 2020

hi,
    we work on Openebula (already more than 2 years ) after we have tested both Openstack and Opennebula.
    Both are difficult if you do not have knowledge based on linux, network, distributed storage....
    The other day I found something nice, which I will test when I have little time ( next year ) : https://www.synnefo.org
    you can try it ;)

• OpenStack is a beast that very complex but also very scalable. If you just need running it for VM (Nova compute, Neutron and Cinder-Ceph block storage) with a dozen servers then it's quite manageable.

Otherwise, depend on your scale, you really need have a bunch dedicated engineer to running it especially for commercial. You can bought Openstack managed service from Ubuntu for $150/month/server https://ubuntu.com/openstack

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Opennebula has the pros of being easy to get going, maintain and scale. It is also feature-rich and stable, and I love it. However, it is private cloud oriented and you would need to figure out the dashboard that your customers would be facing yourself, as well as the billing system. @DETio may be able to help, but otherwise there is a lot of work and man hours to be put towards making it an IAAS thing done right.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • @PUSHR_Victor said: need to figure out the dashboard that your customers would be facing yourself, as well as the billing system

we working now to one WHMCS module for Opennebula ( eta end of next month )
    IAAS work fine but you have right

@PUSHR_Victor said: lot of work and man hours

:)

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Obviously I would tell you to go with OnApp, however frankly Nebula is not a bad choice, and the best out of the three you mention - if you ask me.

• @telimp said:
    hi,
    we work on Openebula (already more than 2 years ) after we have tested both Openstack and Opennebula.
    Both are difficult if you do not have knowledge based on linux, network, distributed storage....
    The other day I found something nice, which I will test when I have little time ( next year ) : https://www.synnefo.org
    you can try it ;)

Which do you prefer? OpenStack or Opennebula? and why?

• @Yakooza said: Which do you prefer? OpenStack or Opennebula? and why?

@PUSHR_Victor said: Opennebula has the pros of being easy to get going, maintain and scale. It is also feature-rich and stable.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • edited October 2020

OpenStack: Work with a vendor that will sell you a product, not consultancy. Work with the right vendor, and you can see the cluster deployed in an afternoon. But work with the wrong vendor, you may see the cluster taking 3 months to deploy! (I am aware of OpenStack clusters being brought up in a fully automated manner at one of the providers on this forum.)

The pace of OpenStack development is fast, involving folks with serious commitments (folks running multi-thousand or more CPU cores). So the future would be more secure, as you would not be building infrastructure for the short term only.

Most production-oriented people don't put together their own Linux distributions these days. There is similarly no need to put together your own OpenStack distribution.

A product (emphasis on it being a product!) that comes pre-integrated with operations tools (eg: log management, monitoring, usage reporting (for billing), resource management, etc.) would be useful, as it would be easier to operate and cheaper in the long run. Otherwise, you will need to integrate them yourself (or pay for consultancy), and if/when there are any changes on OpenStack side, you will have to figure it out all over again (or pay for consultancy to do so all over again).

Pay attention also to upgrade. Some vendors will do zero-downtime upgrade while others will not. Upgrades are important as new releases OpenStack comes out every 6 months, and in many situations, it is advisable not to skip releases during upgrades (thus delaying upgrades for 3 years would just mean delaying doing 6 upgrades in one go, further increasing risk, rather than decreasing risk).

With the right product, OpenStack can be relatively easy to operate. I know of fairly sizable OpenStack sites (hundreds of physical servers, serving multi-thousand person user base), operated with just 1 or 2 persons.

I have dealt with OpenStack since release Bexar. Anyone interested in discussing can contact me directly.

• @brightsunshine said:
    OpenStack: Work with a vendor that will sell you a product, not consultancy. Work with the right vendor, and you can see the cluster deployed in an afternoon. But work with the wrong vendor, you may see the cluster taking 3 months to deploy! (I am aware of OpenStack clusters being brought up in a fully automated manner at one of the providers on this forum.)

The pace of OpenStack development is fast, involving folks with serious commitments (folks running multi-thousand or more CPU cores). So the future would be more secure, as you would not be building infrastructure for the short term only.

Most production-oriented people don't put together their own Linux distributions these days. There is similarly no need to put together your own OpenStack distribution.

A product (emphasis on it being a product!) that comes pre-integrated with operations tools (eg: log management, monitoring, usage reporting (for billing), resource management, etc.) would be useful, as it would be easier to operate and cheaper in the long run. Otherwise, you will need to integrate them yourself (or pay for consultancy), and if/when there are any changes on OpenStack side, you will have to figure it out all over again (or pay for consultancy to do so all over again).

Pay attention also to upgrade. Some vendors will do zero-downtime upgrade while others will not. Upgrades are important as new releases OpenStack comes out every 6 months, and in many situations, it is advisable not to skip releases during upgrades (thus delaying upgrades for 3 years would just mean delaying doing 6 upgrades in one go, further increasing risk, rather than decreasing risk).

With the right product, OpenStack can be relatively easy to operate. I know of fairly sizable OpenStack sites (hundreds of physical servers, serving multi-thousand person user base), operated with just 1 or 2 persons.

I have dealt with OpenStack since release Bexar. Anyone interested in discussing can contact me directly.

So you are saying OpenStack is the best option to go for public cloud?

• @Yakooza: Yes, I would say that OpenStack would be the best option for public cloud, on the condition that you go for the right OpenStack based product. Emphasis again on it being a product, not a consultancy, nor a trojan-horse-for-consulting type of product.

Buy a car, not a sum of parts, nor someone to assemble parts for you. Buy a car.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • @brightsunshine said:

Can you tell us which Openstack vendor that are recommended to work with?

• edited October 2020

So as to be even handed, take a look at OpenStack distributions: https://www.openstack.org/marketplace/distros/

Disclosure: I work for a vendor. Some of the providers on this forum who have OpenStack clusters being brought up in a fully automated manner at their site would also know me :-)

• JustVPSJustVPS Member, Host Rep

We tried various cloud platforms and settled on OpenNebula, ease of use and ease of scalability, as well as high reliability through the use of two or three cluster nodes. I would advise you to pay attention to Nebula.

Thanked by 1Yakooza
  • @JustVPS said:
    We tried various cloud platforms and settled on OpenNebula, ease of use and ease of scalability, as well as high reliability through the use of two or three cluster nodes. I would advise you to pay attention to Nebula.

Is it good for public cloud?

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@Yakooza said:

@JustVPS said:

Depends how you use.. personally I have tested and I'm really impressed with Opennebula.

But still I prefer Openstack more for public cloud

• @ViridWeb said:

@Yakooza said:

@JustVPS said:

Depends how you use.. personally I have tested and I'm really impressed with Opennebula.

But still I prefer Openstack more for public cloud

Why do you prefer OpenStack?

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

I prefer OpenStack for both public and private clouds.

• @xethost said:
    I prefer OpenStack for both public and private clouds.

What are your reasons?
    Your platform, Is it run on OpenStack?

Our production platform is running on VMware currently, however, we would like to offer KVM virtualization to our customers, and we're searching for a KVM virtualization solution. We tested OpenNebula last and this year but they changed the licencing policy and pushing the users to use Enterprise Edition instead of Community Edition.
    The Enterprise Edition is almost as expensive as our VMware licenses..

That’s why we decided for the free OpenStack. It's not easy to use it but the community is great and helpful.

• @xethost said:
    Our production platform is running on VMware currently, however, we would like to offer KVM virtualization to our customers, and we're searching for a KVM virtualization solution. We tested OpenNebula last and this year but they changed the licencing policy and pushing the users to use Enterprise Edition instead of Community Edition.
    The Enterprise Edition is almost as expensive as our VMware licenses..

That’s why we decided for the free OpenStack. It's not easy to use it but the community is great and helpful.

OpnenNebula mentioned on their website that you do get the full version on Community Edition? Don't you?

edited October 2020

Yes, but you cannot upgrade it if you would like to use it in commercial purpose.