Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any offers with similar price/performance point as Joes datacenter 2x xeon 5650 ($34 p/m)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any offers with similar price/performance point as Joes datacenter 2x xeon 5650 ($34 p/m)

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited October 2020 in Providers

I have had a nightmare with the first month using them. I have been using for heavy encoding and it just crashes and reboots after a couple of hours and they say they can't find any fault with the server and I have done nothing different than usual and I have used the same setup/script on loads of other servers and never had this problem.

So thinking of going elsewhere once the month is up.

Joes is really good value for money (which is why I have been trying to get to the root of the problem with them rather than abandon ship yet) but I am not gonna carry on when the server is unusable except in couple of hour spurts then I have to load my whole session up again each time.

So anything that comes near to that? It doesn't have to be as good specs for the price, I noticed the power is more than enough on that package so I could scale down a bit. Hetzner is the same monthly price but with $40 bucks added for setup fee.

Since I was already struggling to make full use of the xeons then it would be a waste to pay even more for better specs; although I may be able to grow into a larger server so not out of the question I would probably sooner take a more modest package for a little cheaper but still welcome suggestions at a simile price; I mean just generally around the joes 5650 price either above or blow $ slightly.

Comments

• NetCup an option for you? RS 2000 G9 might work for you. Roughly 58% power of the dual Xeons, but at 15.6 euros, which is a slightly better performance per dollar.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited October 2020

@AC_Fan said:
    NetCup an option for you? RS 2000 G9 might work for you. Roughly 58% power of the dual Xeons, but at 15.6 euros, which is a slightly better performance per dollar.

Thanks, will take a look. How did you figure the 56% power difference?

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

On an old server like that, it's most likely bad thermal paste on the CPU which has become porous and cracked which leads to the heatsink not having proper contact. Especially when you are encoding which is maxing the CPU. Either that or a fan has failed on the CPU :p Usually one of those.

How is the thermals when idling the server? Should give you a good indication if it's one of the above.

• @lowendguy7 said:

@AC_Fan said:
    NetCup an option for you? RS 2000 G9 might work for you. Roughly 58% power of the dual Xeons, but at 15.6 euros, which is a slightly better performance per dollar.

Thanks, will take a look. How did you figure the 56% power difference?

Average GB is 3303 for an RS 2000 G9, and ~5634 for dual X5650s. So, the Joe's machince has roughly 70% more power, at 84% more cost.
    All in all, the NetCup is cheaper, and more value for money. The only machine which might be better is an EUServ Ryzen dedi, but considering their reputation (terrible network being the foremost complaint), I don't really consider it during comparisons.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited October 2020

@terrahost said:
    On an old server like that, it's most likely bad thermal paste on the CPU which has become porous and cracked which leads to the heatsink not having proper contact. Especially when you are encoding which is maxing the CPU. Either that or a fan has failed on the CPU :p Usually one of those.

How is the thermals when idling the server? Should give you a good indication if it's one of the above.

Just looked and 38c idling for some of the cores. I have checked the load temps and seen them go as high as 79c for one of the cores while 80c is stated as the overheat temp but the support said it wouldn't cause the machine to reboot itself and it would just lower the clock speed and remain functional. Don't really know what to believe.

• terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@lowendguy7 said:

Just looked and 38c idling for some of the cores. I have checked the load temps and seen them go as high as 79c for one of the cores while 80c is stated as the overheat temp but the support said it wouldn't cause the machine to reboot itself and it would just lower the clock speed and remain functional. Don't really know what to believe.

With a server this old, there may be other components in the server failing at these temps, bad caps etc. I would have them re-apply thermal paste on the CPU and see if that helps. Idling at 38c is a bit high.

• @lowendguy7 said:
    I have had a nightmare with the first month using them. I have been using for heavy encoding and it just crashes and reboots after a couple of hours and they say they can't find any fault with the server and I have done nothing different than usual and I have used the same setup/script on loads of other servers and never had this problem.

So thinking of going elsewhere once the month is up.

Joes is really good value for money (which is why I have been trying to get to the root of the problem with them rather than abandon ship yet) but I am not gonna carry on when the server is unusable except in couple of hour spurts then I have to load my whole session up again each time.

So anything that comes near to that? It doesn't have to be as good specs for the price, I noticed the power is more than enough on that package so I could scale down a bit. Hetzner is the same monthly price but with $40 bucks added for setup fee.

Since I was already struggling to make full use of the xeons then it would be a waste to pay even more for better specs; although I may be able to grow into a larger server so not out of the question I would probably sooner take a more modest package for a little cheaper but still welcome suggestions at a simile price; I mean just generally around the joes 5650 price either above or blow $ slightly.

I am not tech-savvy so cannot really name a spec that would match your description. Just a personal experience sharing:

@seriesn has VPS with dedicated CPU - I have the lowest spec on the list. Although being at the bottom, it has been rock solid, not a second of downtime so far and has never failed whatever tasks that it is required to perform.

https://nexusbytes.com/virtual-dedicated-server.html

With your budget (40 USD per month), I guess you will have a very nice experience in this product line.

Thanked by 1lowendguy7
  • @terrahost said:

@lowendguy7 said:

With a server this old, there may be other components in the server failing at these temps, bad caps etc. I would have them re-apply thermal paste on the CPU and see if that helps. Idling at 38c is a bit high.

Well it is getting ridiculous now, better to just find a new provider, plus I don't like how they don't provide a rescue console unless you specifically ask for it.