Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[5 USD Bounty] Avoiding IP Stealing in Proxmox (KVM/LXC)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[5 USD Bounty] Avoiding IP Stealing in Proxmox (KVM/LXC)

stefemanstefeman Member
edited October 2020 in Help

Suppose I have a small /27 subnet and for example 10 VPS servers.

1.1.1.1 is assigned to VM1
1.1.1.2 is assigned to VM2
and so on all the way to VM 10

Now lets assume that VM8 1.1.1.8 is offline.

Now, how would I ensure that if VM2 user changes his server IP manually from 1.1.1.2 to 1.1.1.8, he wouldn't get any connection or routing unless he changes it back to 1.1.1.2?

I have heard that I would need to setup ARP Filtering, but there is no guides for that.

I have also heard that other way would be using ebtables or something like this:

All that's necessary is to add the following rule to each virtual machines firewall settings in Proxmox (see /etc/pve/firewall/.fw files) and works with IPv4 and IPv6:

[IPSET ipfilter-net0]
2f1:2:3:4::1

And final method that I have heard that I would need to bind IP to VM MAC somehow.

What is the easiest and best performance way to do this? Given these VMs are on 10G port.

I would love to follow an easy guide or something like that.

Comments

• Ofc I'd pay multiple times more if someone reputable helped me setup this directly. xD

• What exactly you do not undestand from:

[IPSET ipfilter-net0]

?

Go look in /etc/pve/firewall/.fw and add per above. As far I understood that you limit IP to MAC

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2020

@amarc said:
    What exactly you do not undestand from:

[IPSET ipfilter-net0]

?

Go look in /etc/pve/firewall/.fw and add per above. As far I understood that you limit IP to MAC

I tried that and didin't even have even such folder as /etc/pve/firewall/

But worry not, during these 10 minutes I managed to fuck up the entire server so hard that everything above just became useless.

I did the only thing that everyone seemingly warns in the internet and proxmox forums to NOT do.

I fucking enabled the datacenter firewall from web-gui and lost all access to the dedicated server and all VPSs. Now I need to wait for IPMI lol.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • alwyzonalwyzon Member, Host Rep

Well, at least you now know that you didn‘t had the firewall enabled before. And yes, the IPSET feature is exactly what you are looking for and only works with the Proxmox firewall enabled in the first place.

Thanked by 2webcraft yoursunny
  • BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep

Stop messing with production servers directly...?

• @Binary said:
    Stop messing with production servers directly...?

Its a new deployment of my personal node which I share with couple of people.

So not loosing any millions here xD

edited October 2020

Fixed via idrac. Uhh..

In case anyone else gets the same:

pve-firewall stop
    Go to proxmox web gui and disable the datacenter firewall
    sudo reboot

• Sooooooooooooooooo,

anyone get the bounty ?

edited October 2020

@yokowasis said:
    Sooooooooooooooooo,

anyone get the bounty ?

No as there was no new suggestions.

I probly end up doing:

ebtables -A FORWARD -p IPv4 --ip-src 172.16.1.4 -s ! 00:11:22:33:44:55 -j DROP
    ebtables -A FORWARD -p IPv4 --ip-src 172.16.1.5 -s ! 00:11:22:33:44:65 -j DROP

etc.. as described here: https://ebtables.netfilter.org/examples/basic.html#ex_anti-spoof

Thanked by 1lentro
  • ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

static arp entries for the ips and macs you want to protect:

arp -s $vm-ip-allowed $vm-mac-allowed

and to stop vm's from mac spoofing use ebtables:

ebtables -A FORWARD -i $iftap-that-vm-uses -s ! $your:vm:mac:address -j DROP

This is not a complete solution but you can use this as a basis for something more complex and comprehensive.

Honestly though, if you want to do this in a way that will always "just work" with the least amount of hassle, then you will want to put each vm on a unique bridge device with a unique /30 rfc1918 ip for the guest and the host, and then just setup a static route on the host for the real public ipv4 address. Host configured as a linux router. Each guest is in it's own private layer 2 network.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, you can spoof the mac address inside a VM as far as I know.
    So limiting the IP to a specific mac address won't fix it fully.

You would need to limited that on the specific VM adapter.

• SagnikSSagnikS Member, Host Rep

You'll need to use IPSets + ebtables, and Proxmox has MAC address change protection as an option.

• you could always go for a routed setup and create an individual bridge per IP and VM. done.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@stefeman said:

So not loosing any millions here xD

No drama? :(

• Hello sir, when are you planning to make a provider tag request?

• M66BM66B Veteran

@goodwin said:
    Hello sir, when are you planning to make a provider tag request?

Where is he offering services here?

edited October 2020

@goodwin said:

Probly never? Im a free evangelist.. If im gonna offer something here, it will be free so no need for a tag.

And this was a question for my internal test server. Don't always assume that someone is attempting to setup some kiddie host up after a simple question.. Idiot.

Besides with only this much knowledge about hypervisors it'd be a fucking disaster for any customer. I'd rather never get into that.

Edit: I found someone to show me how to do it in simple way.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@stefeman said:
    Edit: I found someone to show me how to do it in simple way.

Can you share? I am curious xD

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited October 2020

@lentro something like this is probably the quickest way:

@stefeman said:

though you might want to check which chain to use. instead of forward it could also go into nat/prerouting...

other then that individual bridges as said are quite fail-safe and still considerable easy as well ;-)

Thanked by 1lentro
    edited October 2020

@Falzo said:
    @lentro something like this is probably the quickest way:

@stefeman said:

though you might want to check which chain to use. instead of forward it could also go into nat/prerouting...

other then that individual bridges as said are quite fail-safe and still considerable easy as well ;-)

ebtables -A FORWARD -p IPv4 --ip-src xxx.xxx.xxx.123 -s ! EE:F4:C9:41:22:XX -j DROP
    ebtables -A FORWARD -p IPv4 -s EE:F4:C9:41:22:XX ! --ip-src xxx.xxx.xxx.123 -j DROP

this is what I came up with myself..

First one ensures that "Drop traffic if certain IP is not coming from certain MAC".

Second one ensures that "Drop traffic if certain MAC is not using the selected IP"

Simply repeat for every single VPS by changing the IP and MAC accordingly.

Apparently this is not quite the correct way, but works so far, but Im getting advice from another person to make it more sane. When Im done with that solution I'll post it here for other people that might search it from google.

Thanked by 2Actavus lentro
  • @goodwin said:

If you're pushing someone asking for help to get a provider tag, you're doing it wrong.

• @stefeman said:

I did the only thing that everyone seemingly warns in the internet and proxmox forums to NOT do.

I fucking enabled the datacenter firewall from web-gui and lost all access to the dedicated server and all VPSs. Now I need to wait for IPMI lol.

It's fine to enable datacenter firewall from the proxmox web-ui, but first you need to put in some allow rules so when the firewall comes up it doesn't lock you out.

• @dragon2611 said:

@stefeman said:

It's fine to enable datacenter firewall from the proxmox web-ui, but first you need to put in some allow rules so when the firewall comes up it doesn't lock you out.

That's literally what I meant with that scentence :P Theres no such indication that the default policy is drop so turning on on the firewall is something everyone warns you for.