Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN Speeds? CPU Bottleneck?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN Speeds? CPU Bottleneck?

So I've been experimenting with local VPS (under 30 miles) servers for an OpenVPN server.

I've seen wildly different results on similiar spec'd VPS. Anywhere from almost maxing out my 500Mb connection, to half that, with same compression and settings. Is there anything other than network saturation on the VPS that can result in slow open VPN speeds? I can't figure out what the variation would be from. Testing the speeds on the box directly they are well over my full network capacity, so I don't think it's a network bottleneck on the VPS side.

Cheers!

Comments

• Does your VPS cpu support AES-NI flags? It is significantly affect your OpenVPN performance

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Does your VPS cpu support AES-NI flags? It is significantly affect your OpenVPN performance

Good question. I tried VULTR and had sub-par results compared to a DO droplet, which was actually a bit further from me.

• Try wireguard if you can. I get much better speeds with wireguard, personally.

• shahyanshahyan Member
    edited October 2020

@Moofie said:
    Try wireguard if you can. I get much better speeds with wireguard, personally.

Yeah. Try Wireguard if your VPN supports it. With Mullvad, I was getting under 200mbps up and down on OpenVPN. With WIreguard, i get within 80% of the port speed at any given time.

• @shahyan said:

@Moofie said:

Yeah. Try Wireguard if your VPN supports it. With Mullvad, I was getting under 200mbps up and down on OpenVPN. With WIreguard, i get within 80% of the port speed at any given time.

Strange. I get full speeds on Mullvad with OpenVPN.

It's just a VPS, so I can install WG and see how that goes! :D

• @NeonMinnen said:

@shahyan said:

@Moofie said:

Strange. I get full speeds on Mullvad with OpenVPN.

It's just a VPS, so I can install WG and see how that goes! :D

Yeah, VPNs are tough because from moment to moment, it's not just your CPU and network that's at play but also the providers...I went crazy trying to do side by side speed tests on openvpn, ikev2, wireguard...finally, over the course of a week or so, it averaged out to wireguard working best on my VPS. Funny enough, I have/had been a windscribe customer for the longest time. But over the course of testing, realized that Mullvad was faster on the eastern seaboard. Windscribe has some pretty cool features -- like shared static Ip and large number of ports you can forward. Mullvad limits to 5 port forwards across all your devices -- so ended up using reverse proxy to manage that limitation.