Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated but shit performance OR Shared with high clocked CPU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated but shit performance OR Shared with high clocked CPU?

I really need your opinions. I personally prefer shared resources with a high CPU clock speed.

Dedicated resources but crappy performance OR Shared resources with high clocked CPU?
  1. Would you rather have shared resources with a high clocked CPU or VDS with shit performance?77 votes
    1. Shared with high clocked CPU
      79.22%
    2. VDS with garbage single thread performance
      20.78%

Comments

• How shared are those resources and how crappy is your dedi?

I mean, I would choose a snappy Ryzen or EPYC based VM with sensible overbooking every day over a Kimsufi N2800 cpu.

But if the choice is between an older Xeon and a VM with a lot of noisy neighbours...

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

IMO, that's a nonsensical question unless a specific use case is given.

Thanked by 1MrH
  • Sounds like kimsufi vs vps lol

• If you find a provider with quite reasonable ToS, and you throttle processor hungry processes, it's possible to get quite good value from a Ryzen vps.

Guess it depends what you are doing

• @debaser said: How shared are those resources and how crappy is your dedi?

Shared a lot just before the point you can call it 'overselling'. And yes, the dedi is sort of Kimsufi's just like you mentioned.

@jsg said: IMO, that's a nonsensical question unless a specific use case is given.

Not really. I wanted to know about opinions in general.

• @SirFoxy said: Sounds like kimsufi vs vps lol

Spot on! I see people arguing that dedicated is always better but I disagree.

• @4mm4r said:

@SirFoxy said: Sounds like kimsufi vs vps lol

Spot on! I see people arguing that dedicated is always better but I disagree.

Dedicated is always better, unless its a shit dedicated 🤷🏻‍♂️

• @t0ny0 said: Dedicated is always better, unless its a shit dedicated 🤷🏻‍♂️

In the poll, I specifically asked about shit dedicated vs oversold-ish high-performance VPS. But I understand what you're saying and I agree with you that dedicated is better if and only if it's good.

• @4mm4r said:

@t0ny0 said: Dedicated is always better, unless its a shit dedicated 🤷🏻‍♂️

In the poll, I specifically asked about shit dedicated vs oversold-ish high-performance VPS. But I understand what you're saying and I agree with you that dedicated is better if and only if it's good.

Why do you have to pick between two equally bad situations though?
    You can always get a normal VPS and have as much fun as possible, without sacrifices being made.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The shared hosting is more likely to have RAID as well as a better CPU.

Francisco

• @t0ny0 said: normal VPS

Define normal? You can't immediately know if the nodes are being oversold when choosing a 'normal' VPS. However, 'Dedicated' gives you a guarantee that all or part of the resources are dedicated and they are all there for you to be used at any time.

I wanted to know about this because I see people choosing bad dedicated servers such as Kimsufi over the resellers because the resources are shared and people assume that shared = overselling.

• @4mm4r said:

@t0ny0 said: normal VPS

Define normal?

Normal, as in from a quality provider, that is known for providing quality services, and not some AlphaRacks offspring, that will be severely oversold.
    For example - all of these providers are high quality:
    BuyVM, SpryServers, Hetzner, Clouvider, ExtraVM, NexusBytes, and many many many more.

• Usually a shared VPS performance does not mean bad, if you buy from a reputable company that knows how to handle the loads etc...

But this is true

@jsg said: IMO, that's a nonsensical question unless a specific use case is given.

you should know the use case to actually say anything about that, even if I would generally gravitate more towards a VPS from a reputable host with better performances on paper which SHOULD translate in real-world as well.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I know someone who uses AMD EPYC 7402P, 128GB RAM, and U.2 NVMe for shared hosting. Seems to work very well and the performance is great.

Thanked by 2Zerpy 4mm4r
  • seenuseenu Member
    edited October 2020

I have almost similar question for many days and i hope someone can answer me (i am not trying to hijack the thread)

is it better to vps/vdr from providers like

impactvps - 12 Cores 12GB RAM 135GB SSD Disk - model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    ssdnodes - 16GB RAM 160GB SSD 4 vCPU 8TB transfer - Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz x 2 quantity

or use a dedi from providers like alphavps/ TNAhosting

alphavps - Dual Intel Xeon L5630 - 16GB DDR3 ECC - 128GB SSD - 10TB BW
    tnahosting - E3-1230v2 - 4 Cores / 8 Threads 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD

which will give more performance?

• BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

@seenu said:
    I have almost similar question for many days and i hope someone can answer me (i am not trying to hijack the thread)

impactvps - 12 Cores 12GB RAM 135GB SSD Disk
    ssdnodes - 16GB RAM 160GB SSD 4 vCPU 8TB transfer x 2 quantity

You should probably mention the CPU used on those host nodes, otherwise it's pretty much impossible to tell.

If you're looking to run a task-heavy application or receive a lot of traffic, I'd always go dedicated.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @Binary said:

@seenu said:

You should probably mention the CPU used on those host nodes, otherwise it's pretty much impossible to tell.

Hello,

I just updated original thread with cpu details and pasting here too

impactvps - 12 Cores 12GB RAM 135GB SSD Disk - model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    ssdnodes - 16GB RAM 160GB SSD 4 vCPU 8TB transfer - Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz x 2 quantity

If you're looking to run a task-heavy application or receive a lot of traffic, I'd always go dedicated.

most of my usage is for development purposes like running gitlab runners, running composer install,yarn after each commit etc and they don't attract much traffic.

only one wp site gets 10k visitors per day with OLS/LScache.

• BinaryBinary Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

@seenu said:

@Binary said:

@seenu said:

Hello,

I just updated original thread with cpu details and pasting here too

most of my usage is for development purposes like running gitlab runners, running composer install,yarn after each commit etc and they don't attract much traffic.

only one wp site gets 10k visitors per day with OLS/LScache.

If you're not looking to spend too much money, I'd definetly go with impactvps.
    Higher clock count, higher CPU count (which is important for serving websites), RAM is fine too.

Do they limit bandwidth?

• seenuseenu Member
    edited October 2020

@Binary said: If you're not looking to spend too much money, I'd definetly go with impactvps.
    Higher clock count, higher CPU count (which is important for serving websites), RAM is fine too.

i never had issue with their CPU or memory (basically i am not utilizing it properly) but space is my biggest concern....with so many yarn and composer dependencies, each project takes min. 1GB and when i use zero-downtime-deployment with lets say 10 previous versions, each project eating up 10GB.

@Binary said: Do they limit bandwidth?

for my plan, i get 6TB and i never consumed 1TB/mo.

• @Jord said: I know someone

Please tell us :*

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Coffee said:

@Jord said: I know someone

Please tell us :*

It's @Zerpy he's prem!

• John_MJohn_M Member, Patron Provider

Question is does Shared with high clocked CPU works well or no? lol.
    When compare something it has to be apple to apple.

• I have asked this question before, It's all about benchmark. Unless you want to pus 100% cpu for more than few minutes, you MUST go for dedicated processor. No question asked.

@seenu said:

• shit vs high

my guess is the thread starter has his/her own decision, implicitly understandable.

• @aRNoLD said: shit vs high

Dedicated Pentium 4 low clock CPU is shit. Shared Ryzen 9 with high clock is better. Don't be an ass because I don't have my own decision per see and that is why I explicitly asked for opinions along with the poll.

• Since you want to know about CPU-s and compare them one to one heres an easy solution for ya.

Prime95 the hell out of the Dedicated and the VPS (tho Im pretty sure your VPS provider will just lock you out in a few mintues) and see which shits the bed first. Speed isnt the only factor, stability is something you need instead.

Thanked by 14mm4r
  • @4mm4r said:

@aRNoLD said: shit vs high

Dedicated Pentium 4 low clock CPU is shit. Shared Ryzen 9 with high clock is better. Don't be an ass because I don't have my own decision per see and that is why I explicitly asked for opinions along with the poll.

don't be an ass then by asking questions and shooting replies in such an ass way. be polite in choosing your words. sh*t will not make you an expert in judging providers' machines or equipment.

• @aRNoLD said:

@4mm4r said:

@aRNoLD said: shit vs high

don't be an ass then by asking questions and shooting replies in such an ass way. be polite in choosing your words. sh*t will not make you an expert in judging providers' machines or equipment.

Awww I hurt your feelings and I apologise for that.

• First, of all, you can't compare dedicated hosting and shared hosting in a frem, because these are two types of web hosting. basically shared web hosting is the shared part of a single physical server and multiple users can access that server. Dedicated is hosting in which all access is detonated to a single person.

So if you are confused between both type then you should go with your business needs and consider which web hosting types fits perfectly your demands and so many hosting providers names are available out of there. you can go with anyone who offers the best featured and cost effective dedicated and shared hosting.