Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spartan Host Provides DDOS Protection Services to 8Chan/8Kun
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spartan Host Provides DDOS Protection Services to 8Chan/8Kun

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/10/qanon-8chan-sites-briefly-knocked-offline/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-mccully-195b71101/?originalSubdomain=uk

VanwaTech uses Spartan Host as a DDOS Protection reseller for 8Chan. Ron Guilmette called CN Servers and they were not happy to know about that, and plugged the plug. Now Spartan Host is using ddos-guard[.]net

@SpartanHost Care to explain to the community why you would resell DDOS protection services to such a heinous website? Sounds like you have no ethics like CloudFlare.

Thanked by 2zenki hanoi

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@techhelper1 said: SpartanHost Care to explain to the community why you would resell DDOS protection services to such a heinous website

• @techhelper1 said: @SpartanHost Care to explain to the community why you would resell DDOS protection services to such a heinous website? Sounds like you have no ethics like CloudFlare.

Its a fucking business at the end of the day. 99.9% of the people around don't get their panties in a bunch over a random website being hosted by a random host. Simple as that.

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

8kun where using DDoS-Guard already before they used Spartan.
    Nice. Now this is just an advertisement for Spartan for some clientele.

• @HostSlick said: 8kun where using DDoS-Guard already before they used Spartan.

I invite you to take a look at the BGP routing table, where you'll find Spartan Host's ASN in the middle of their connectivity at this very moment.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2020

The comments in Brian Krebs' article outline our position, such as following a 'law of the land' policy. Yes, such sites are controversial and don't represent our own views and opinions in any way, we feel that making decisions about what we should and shouldn't allow on our network based off our own views and opinions isn't necessarily appropriate when such content is legal. Our (edit: technical) role extends no further than providing IP transit to Vanwatech/Orcatech.

Although it adds to the story, the part of the article about our ASN being hidden ("private peering"), was purely coincidenal, it was required due to a China Unicom AS path issue that we had with Cnservers, it had been in place for quite some time, our ASN was always fully visible in a traceroute throughout.

• @techhelper1either you don't believe in free-speech or your are a hypocrite like krebsonsecurity who claimed that DDOS attacks where censorship but is now part of people trying to get anti-ddos providers to drop who he does not like.

Thanked by 2that_guy nulldev
  • Well lots of packet kiddies on IRC hide behind OVH and SpartanHost servers ;)

• @SpartanHost said: Our role extends no further than providing IP transit to Vanwatech/Orcatech.

Nope. From the stand of ethics you are enabling them to keep their malice activities. Yes, they pay you money and you "don't know" what's happening. This is a business. But those damn ethics... You either Cloudflare them or just cut it and stay to your principles.

• techhelper1techhelper1 Member
    edited October 2020

@MatthewM said: @techhelper1 either you don't believe in free-speech or your are a hypocrite like krebsonsecurity who claimed that DDOS attacks where censorship but is now part of people trying to get anti-ddos providers to drop who he does not like.

@MatthewM There is no rule granting an individual "free speech" in the private sector, or on the Internet. Please advise where this is written down. Thanks!

DDOS attacks (which are not always packet flood) are censorship in the way they are used by blackhat individuals, and are not legal in most (if not all) jurisdictions. At the same time if an organization like 8Chan is hiding behind a DDOS protection provider (let alone a UK reseller), and knowingly providing a platform for crimes to manifest, why should they not be kicked off the platform like what CloudFlare has already done? https://blog.cloudflare.com/terminating-service-for-8chan/

Thanked by 1zenki
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited October 2020

EDIT: It was NOT taken down by spartanhost. Therefore my point is invalid.

I find it disgusting that you would follow CloudFlare in kicking the site off cause some left wing demands it. No wonder people vote Trump. I would too just as a protest if I were an american. I'd rather have a pig in the office than some BLM/Anarchy Yes man just to piss of the general elitism and self entitled people at this point.

Besides 8Kun was already neutered with the /pol/ section deleted. In the end you just satisfied some left wing activisit's vanity with this and killed your own image in the minds of neutral people.

Im all for free speech myself, Instead of prefering another side, why not just host both sides? Then nobody should have any stance to cry. I find it ironic that you need to move ur site to a country like Russia to bring up an alternative opinion against the far left anarchy.

For neturals like me, the ideal situation should be that both sides are able to discuss somewhere. Spartan Host just attempted to ruin that equilibrium to please the other side.

SpartanHost has right to choose its customers of course, but you definitely did not get any points by fawning the left wing and political correctness.

@HostSlick said:

Bad adverstment. I would never trust anything sensitive to Spartan after this.. Who knows who he wants to satisfy or suck up to next in your expense?

EDIT: It was NOT taken down by spartanhost. Therefore my point is invalid.

• @stefeman
    As you mentioned /pol/ was removed, yet 8Kun is still an issue for reasons other than politics.

Remember the mass shootings and CP? Are those political or moral?

@stefeman said:
    I find it disgusting that you would follow CloudFlare in kicking the site off cause some left wing demands it. No wonder people vote Trump. I would too just as a protest if I were an american. I'd rather have a pig in the office than some BLM/Anarchy Yes man just to piss of the general elitism and self entitled people at this point.

Besides 8Kun was already neutered with the /pol/ section deleted. In the end you just satisfied some left wing activisit's vanity with this and killed your own image in the minds of neutral people.

Im all for free speech myself, Instead of prefering another side, why not just host both sides? Then nobody should have any stance to cry. I find it ironic that you need to move ur site to a country like Russia to bring up an alternative opinion against the far left anarchy.

For neturals like me, the ideal situation should be that both sides are able to discuss somewhere. Spartan Host just attempted to ruin that equilibrium to please the other side.

SpartanHost has right to choose its customers of course, but you definitely did not get any points by fawning the left wing and political correctness.

Maybe you've misunderstood, we didn't take the sites down, one of our upstreams requested we did and we simply moved them to another of our upstreams who is okay with them, they're still online.

Thanked by 2stefeman nulldev
    edited October 2020

@mikewazar said:
    @stefeman
    As you mentioned /pol/ was removed, yet 8Kun is still an issue for reasons other than politics.

Guess whats gonna happen when you take the only vent hole away from such group that is equally (or more) insane as far left anarchists. Im already scared where its gonna blow up next, now that they cant discuss themselves and think that the society supresses them.

@SpartanHost said:
    Maybe you've misunderstood, we didn't take the sites down, one of our upstreams requested we did and we simply moved them to another of our upstreams who is okay with them, they're still online.

My apologies, It seems I misunderstood it then. The Original post gives completely different image.

Thanked by 1SpartanHost
  • @stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:
    @stefeman

Guess whats gonna happen when you take the only vent hole away from such group that is equally (or more) insane as far left anarchists. Im already scared where its gonna blow up next, now that they cant discuss themselves and think that the society supresses them.

So instead of curbing the blast radius of these groups' ideologies to stamp them out of society by preventing them from spreading en masse the way they have been since the internet became common you want to let them continue? I'm specifically talking about the posts and threads that could directly be linked to deaths and other harm that you wouldn't find on modern 4Chan, which is still fucked up by sane standards but isn't as dangerous as 8Kun.

• @SpartanHost said:
    The comments in Brian Krebs' article outline our position, such as following a 'law of the land' policy. Yes, such sites are controversial and don't represent our own views and opinions in any way, we feel that making decisions about what we should and shouldn't allow on our network based off our own views and opinions isn't necessarily appropriate when such content is legal.

"The site has been linked to white supremacism, neo-Nazism, the alt-right, racism and antisemitism, hate crimes, and multiple mass shootings. The site is also known for hosting child prngraphy; as a result, it was filtered out from Google Search."

Seems very 'legal' to me.

@HyperK9 said:

@SpartanHost said:
    The comments in Brian Krebs' article outline our position, such as following a 'law of the land' policy. Yes, such sites are controversial and don't represent our own views and opinions in any way, we feel that making decisions about what we should and shouldn't allow on our network based off our own views and opinions isn't necessarily appropriate when such content is legal.

"The site has been linked to white supremacism, neo-Nazism, the alt-right, racism and antisemitism, hate crimes, and multiple mass shootings. The site is also known for hosting child prngraphy; as a result, it was filtered out from Google Search."

Seems very 'legal' to me.

We've no problems acting on any law enforcement action such as court orders if it's proven that there is such illegal content on the site while it has been routed through us.

Thanked by 3stefeman nulldev chrisp
    edited October 2020

@mikewazar said:

@stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:
    @stefeman

So instead of curbing the blast radius of these groups' ideologies to stamp them out of society by preventing them from spreading en masse the way they have been since the internet became common you want to let them continue? I'm specifically talking about the posts and threads that could directly be linked to deaths and other harm that you wouldn't find on modern 4Chan, which is still fucked up by sane standards but isn't as dangerous as 8Kun.

They have solid moderation team to get rid of the insane ones as long as they post anything questionable.

Yes, there needs to be another opinion compared to left wing politics. But not that 8kun could provide it anymore at its current neutered form anyway. Yet the left is hellbent on taking it down as a symbolic victory. It makes me want to have the website stay open even more even though I havent visited it for years now.

If right wing was winning I would say the same to defend the liberal left. There has to be balance or everything goes to shit. Both needs to exist to balance each others toxicity off.

• @stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:

@stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:
    @stefeman

They have solid moderation team to get rid of the insane ones as long as they post anything questionable.

Yes, there needs to be another opinion compared to left wing politics. But not that 8kun could provide it anymore at its current neutered form anyway. Yet the left is hellbent on taking it down as a symbolic form. It makes me want to have the website stay open even more even though I havent visited it for years now.

Moderation of legal, moral and non-violent content is one thing and I don't know much about that, but if it was effective then the calls for it to be taken down as a result of those controls not being effective wouldn't exist.

As for the politics, I don't care about politics.

edited October 2020

@mikewazar said:

Then why you want the website down and supress the other wing discussion? Its all about politics with 8kun case, even though no such discussion exist there anymore as it existed in its original form.

• @stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:

Then why you want the website down and supress the other wing discussion? Its all about politics with 8kun case, even though no such discussion exist there anymore at its original form.

I didn't say I wanted it down, and I literally said that 8Kun has issues other than politics that are the cause for the public outcry. You're choosing to look at this from a political perspective when it is a moral issue.

edited October 2020

@mikewazar said:

@stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:

Then why you want the website down and supress the other wing discussion? Its all about politics with 8kun case, even though no such discussion exist there anymore at its original form.

I didn't say I wanted it down, and I literally said that 8Kun has issues other than politics that are the cause for the public outcry. You're choosing to look at this from a political perspective when it is a moral issue.

I can list 3 Finnish left wing sites right now that has or had public threads of murdering politicians or specific politic group cause of their ideology or opinions. Planning about illegal takeover of the country, or setting up incident that are comparable to terrorism, such as damaging critical infrastructure cause it pollutes or cause the company does something else that is against the climate change movement.

Its as immoral in the anarchy websites, yet nobody seems to complain about that, or find it as a moral issue cause they exist.

• @stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:

@stefeman said:

@mikewazar said:

I can list 3 finnish left wing sites right now that has or had public threads of murdering politicians or specific politic group cause of their ideology or opinions. Its as immoral on the anarchy websites.

And once again you move straight back into politics... which I don't care for so I'll let you dear diary the other LETters.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Law of the land is how we've always operated.

Yes, it means we host terrible terrible content. Yes, you're going to get written up in the papers. Thing is, if you host them and only back down once the papers start calling, the papers will write about how they Bashed The Fash and still drag your name.

Do what your own personal beliefs are. That's what we do, even when I have to wear black eyes for it.

Francisco

• This is just another example of many hosts around here. They simply created their own moral framework to justify accepting a pittance for their flexibility. Just another Skids R Us provider

• @Francisco said:
    Law of the land is how we've always operated.

Yes, it means we host terrible terrible content. Yes, you're going to get written up in the papers. Thing is, if you host them and only back down once the papers start calling, the papers will write about how they Bashed The Fash and still drag your name.

Do what your own personal beliefs are. That's what we do, even when I have to wear black eyes for it.

Francisco

Don't you use magic transit? Do you really have a say then on what you host?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@tr1cky said: Don't you use magic transit? Do you really have a say then on what you host?

That's fair and we've already been talking and thinking about that as of late :) Censorship is becoming a very hot topic within the company, and even our company discord.

Francisco

Thanked by 1coolice
  • wdmgwdmg Member, LIR

I believe as a host you should follow law of the land. We do it too, and yes there may be content that gets hosted you don’t agree with, but everyone, regardless of their beliefs, has a right to express and share them.

We can’t be an open society without a free discourse and the ability to share our beliefs, popular or not.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Man a bunch of panties in a wad!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • DataWagonDataWagon Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:

@SpartanHost said: Our role extends no further than providing IP transit to Vanwatech/Orcatech.

Nope. From the stand of ethics you are enabling them to keep their malice activities. Yes, they pay you money and you "don't know" what's happening. This is a business. But those damn ethics... You either Cloudflare them or just cut it and stay to your principles.

ISPs shouldn't be the arbitrators of the internet. If someone is breaking the law, take it up with the courts. Otherwise, they have just as much of a right to expression as anyone else.

Unpopular speech and viewpoints, although they may be unpopular, must be protected. What happens when one of your own beliefs is deemed unpopular by the general public? Should every provider on the internet bar you from hosting a forum to discuss those beliefs, simply because the majority of people don't agree with them?

Censorship is a slippery slope. Today it might be a far right wing discussion board being censored due to it's unpopularity, but tomorrow it could be the beliefs that you hold near and dear.

Kudos to you for standing your ground @SpartanHost!