Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm looking to buy a CPU-Optimized VPS.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I'm looking to buy a CPU-Optimized VPS.

Hi,
I want to buy a CPU-optimized VPS for building and compiling apps. I want atleast 2 or 3 Cores and atleast 3 GB of RAM. Any good yearly or montly offers?

Thanks!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If you are planning to use the box interactively, instead of as a CI box, consider hourly plans from Scaleway or Azure.
    I often develop software using those hourly instances, and I have scripts to automatically install dependencies and clone the repository.

• Dang, you are right @yoursunny . I have a shitty but very cheap 3 Core VPS from Racknerd that slows down on its own. I'm building apps from gradle. I just realized that I do not build all the time.
    How do those hourly prices work though? Say I want to build apps for next 6 hours and then shut down the server. How would that work.

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Cloud providers typically charge storage and compute separately. Each costs a few cents per hour. You receive an invoice at end of month and pay by credit card.
    When yoy are not using, you can delete both storage block and compute instance, and you are not charged; or you can delete the compute instance but keep the storage block, so that you don't have to reinstall from scratch next time.

• I saw spot pricings on Azure, and it looks good. It's cheap and is free for the first month. Just need to set up a script to set up the environment and I'll be set.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@hashedout said:
    Dang, you are right @yoursunny . I have a shitty but very cheap 3 Core VPS from Racknerd that slows down on its own. I'm building apps from gradle. I just realized that I do not build all the time.
    How do those hourly prices work though? Say I want to build apps for next 6 hours and then shut down the server. How would that work.

@hashedout -- thank you for being our customer.

Would you mind opening a ticket regarding the slowness you're experiencing? This isn't typical. I'd like to personally take a look at your account (just ask for the ticket to be escalated to Dustin). I'd like to review how we've handled any past reported issues, and what areas our techs have looked at.

Alternatively, you can email me directly [email protected]

• @hashedout said:
    Hi,
    I want to buy a CPU-optimized VPS for building and compiling apps. I want atleast 2 or 3 Cores and atleast 3 GB of RAM. Any good yearly or montly offers?

Thanks!

Github action provide free 2000 minutes per month. Set CI to your code hosted in github. The over minutes pricing is just 0.008 per minutes

• @hashedout said: How do those hourly prices work though? Say I want to build apps for next 6 hours and then shut down the server. How would that work.

Also consider Equinix Metal (formerly Packet.net) - they have hourly billed dedicated servers with exotic configs with a lot of cpu cores great for compilations which rely on cpu threads/clock speed https://metal.equinix.com/product/servers/. They also like Amazon EC2 have spot pricing so you can get cheaper hourly rates in some data center locations (not all). I've done testing on their dedicated AMD EPYC 7402P 24C/48T 64GB, 960GB 2x10Gbps network servers at spot pricing of US$0.30-0.40/hr discount compared to their listed US$1.10/hr billables. They have an API so you can automate things too https://metal.equinix.com/developers/api/

Thanked by 3imok yoursunny coreflux
  • @hashedout I had the slow disk problem recently. Sent a High-Pr ticket, got replied in 20 mins and they moved me to a new node in 30 mins. Sorted in less than hour so I am quite happy about it. @dustinc

Thanked by 1dustinc