Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WordFence vs iThemes Security
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WordFence vs iThemes Security

jbarrjbarr Member
edited October 2020 in Help

I'm seeing many articles recently about the WordFence Plugin, and while I think it's a great solution, I've been using iThemes Security Plugin for a long time, and I find it to be more to my liking.

What are your thoughts about each? Is one "more secure" than the other? Which do you prefer?

(yeah I know, I know, "WTF are you using WP for?" Whatever.)

Comments

• I think it's better to do your own htaccess rules and block unnecessary things. For this, of course, transfer the login pageto other url and block only the given ip along with http auth.

• Ive seen loads of sites getting infected with these two plugins installed.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I cannot vote for WordFence in the poll so I chose "Other" meaning WordFence.
    I discovered WordFence a few weeks ago for a client's website that was under some serious load which I couldn't explain - the site is not a super popular site. Suspected it might have been some sort of automated task happening to the site and found WordFence. After installing, without even editing the configuration for the plugin, it got rid of the load (kind great for a newbie admin - not that I would consider myself to be but just based on the time, I didn't have to edit much).

Also discovered the 2FA which seems to work pretty good as well. Haven't tested the iThemes Security but something about that name freaks me out (maybe the iThemes part).

• Wordfence do its job, but at expensive high load.

• Of all the free ones - WordFence is what I chose. That's a more "serious" recommendation than just saying I recommend it. :)
    I've been using it for the past 5 years. Think it's OK.
    My WordFence configuration tutorial.

For the paid options - not 100% sure what to recommend.
    Sucuri does offer a firewall, real one, before the hosting server is reached, but it is a lot more expensive than the other options (last time I had checked).
    And, with Cloudflare being available for free, I'm not sure how many sites really need that (if they use both Cloudflare and decent hosting server security).

• As much possible I tell clients to just do best practices.
    1. as much as possible refrain from using plugins
    2. always keep wp and the theme updated
    3. offsite backups

• $100 license price for nothing. Nice!

Thanked by 1Adam1