Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH servers expired but still up
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH servers expired but still up

My OVH account seems bugged. Servers expire but they never get suspended. I have a server that expired in January and it's still up. I opened multiple tickets regarding this and they don't seem to care. Can they come to me in 2025 and tell me I owe them 5 years of server? I didn't renew a few servers last month and the same thing happens. They're still up. They're not cheap servers either ($150/each). Their accounting team doesn't realize they're losing money? If it happens to me, I must not be the only one.

Thanked by 1webclouddev

Comments

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited October 2020

@Unbelievable This one? :D

OVH is known not to answer emails. You should call them and ask em about it.

• @paul20 said: Their accounting team doesn't realize they're losing money?

Have you ever heard of DatabaseByDesign? They're pretty good at this.

• paul20paul20 Member
    edited October 2020

@serv_ee said:
    @Unbelievable This one? :D

OVH is known not to answer emails. You should call them and ask em about it.

Meh, I've done my part I guess. I called them once and they just deleted the server without fixing the bug. It's not my problem if they like losing money. I won't call them every time I cancel a server. I'll just print tickets in case they come to me.

• Can you use the servers or did they wipe them and reassign password etc?

• paul20paul20 Member
    edited October 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    Can you use the servers or did they wipe them and reassign password etc?

I can still use them. Everything I had installed is still up. Their panel says "expired" though.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Can happen on OVH servers, Enjoy'em while it lasts. It can last up to years if my memories are correct.

• Me gonna bulk buying expensive OVH server and wait for any of them to have this bug. Wish me luck.

Thanked by 2ariq01 mustafamw3
  • @tommmy said:
    Me gonna bulk buying expensive OVH server and wait for any of them to have this bug. Wish me luck.

The cost would be the same if you rent normally

• thanks God for shitty OVH billing panel
    in my case is VPS
    alive around 2 month no pay, hope at least 2 year ha.ha.ha

• Usually, I read stories where this is the other way around :)

Thanked by 2kkrajk webcraft
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What does the contract say ?

• Don’t tell anyone!

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Haha but you can no longer use it for production knowing it may disappear at any moment . That's the flip side.
    You can't even use it comfortably for development, maybe good just as a test box.

Thanked by 2yoursunny MrH
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

There's little cost keeping an expired server online.
    As soon as the next customer buys an instant server, your expired server gets wiped instantly.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@farsighter said:
    Haha but you can no longer use it for production knowing it may disappear at any moment . That's the flip side.
    You can't even use it comfortably for development, maybe good just as a test box.

CPU miner.

• @yoursunny said:

@farsighter said:
    Haha but you can no longer use it for production knowing it may disappear at any moment . That's the flip side.

CPU miner.

And it even count as production.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider

When did you order the server? Just wondering if you agreed to their 12 months commitment to avoid paying setup fees.

• Matthew18_Matthew18_ Member, Host Rep

@DamoHG said:
    When did you order the server? Just wondering if you agreed to their 12 months commitment to avoid paying setup fees.

If it says expired it surely is not with the 12 months commitment, you would otherwise have a 1-year expiration date set and it would not be "expired".

• DamoHGDamoHG Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2020

@Matthew18_ said:

@DamoHG said:

If it says expired it surely is not with the 12 months commitment, you would otherwise have a 1-year expiration date set and it would not be "expired".

Oh maybe it works like that. I have a server with them 12 month commitment and there is no way for me to see that in their panel.

• @farsighter said:

I don't think much people would use OVH for production in the first place :D

Thanked by 1MrH
  • I think if they did not take down your server for a long time, they cannot ask money for that. It's their error but make sure you backup your data.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@HyperK9 said:

@farsighter said:

Depends on your system administration skills, otherwise no issues or downtimes. If you having issues run your server the unmanaged service is not for you with any provider, don’t need to blame companies around!

• zenkizenki Member
    edited October 2020

@WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@farsighter said:

Depends on your system administration skills, otherwise no issues or downtimes. If you having issues run your server the unmanaged service is not for you with any provider, don’t need to blame companies around!

Not correct. My OVH Singapore and Sydney dedi were down, 1 month for SG, 1.5 for AU, this is not about managed or system administration skills. And I am not even mentioning their shit support.

• @DamoHG said:

@Matthew18_ said:

@DamoHG said:

Oh maybe it works like that. I have a server with them 12 month commitment and there is no way for me to see that in their panel.

But don't you have a record of what you signed up for (how much you paid for the server and for how long)? Or is this incident really as inexplicable as it sounds?

@HyperK9 said:

@WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@farsighter said:

Not correct. My OVH Singapore and Sydney dedi were down, 1 month for SG, 1.5 for AU, this is not about managed or system administration skills. And I am not even mentioning their shit support.

Normally it will be reason for downtime? Like whole network down or something else on your server?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I've personally had a VPS that stayed on for 2 months after its billing came to its end.

As long as you don't do anything stupid on such, free, VPS (like using crazy bandwidth), you can avoid detection by system.

• @WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@farsighter said:

Normally it will be reason for downtime? Like whole network down or something else on your server?

They just told me they basically f*cked up the node. This is only 2 occurences of multiple times, they are not reliable at all.
    Now I just use my own cabinet for colo, much more reliable (obviously)

• @HyperK9 said:

@WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@WebProject said:

@HyperK9 said:

@farsighter said:

They just told me they basically f*cked up the node. This is only 2 occurences of multiple times, they are not reliable at all.

I mean the DC could still have outages, power, network, etc. There's always going to be a point of failure for someone other than you to fuck something up.

@HyperK9 said:

@HyperK9 said: My OVH Singapore and Sydney dedi were down, 1 month for SG, 1.5 for AU, this is not about managed or system administration skills.

how come you talking one post about dedicated servers and next is about their VPS nodes?

The dedicated server is purely managed by user/customers, if user unable to manage therefore you will get the downtimes.

Their VPS nodes can be abused by users I know its not excuse, simply the way how they do manage it.

• Matthew18_Matthew18_ Member, Host Rep

@DamoHG said:

@Matthew18_ said:

@DamoHG said:

Hmm that looks kinda strange, somewhere maybe in billing it should say the actual due date, I don't know if it got updated recently? Worth asking maybe if you're interested to their support (if you ever get an answer in the first place)