Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pricing changes to your cPanel (Effective Jan 1 2021) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pricing changes to your cPanel (Effective Jan 1 2021)

Comments

• Wow. There are so many threads for the cpanel price increase. LOL

• @team_traitor are you giving donations with the open source you are using? The question cuts both ways

Thanked by 1Lee
  • most of us here are devs, right? how about collaborating a project or taking over un-maintain one and fix or redesign it.

I am planning to write my own in the future (I don't have spare time now) but maintaining already built or open-source ones seem to be best.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • @Unbelievable said:
    They will at least have to stop the 25% off coupon on WHT because that would be more than the difference between cpanel account costs (if maximum number accounts per plan) and the cost of the plan. In essence they are running close to a deficit if not a deficit) after the price hike.

You'd be surprised how many on WHT won't even use the coupon code unless it's directly linked in the URL.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited October 2020

@team_traitor read all of the wht thread from last year. So many said they wanted to make a new panel, some proclaimed its easy. Basically reality called making a living intervenes and noone released a cpanel killer. same will happen this year. I don't think a low end collaboration would work as we have seen time and time again of how many providers have no business sense and their companies generating beer money blow up

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited October 2020

@Unbelievable you should not put everyone in one category, some are idiots and some are brainer. You'll never know, there might be some idiot that will create a "Cpanel killer" soon. Instead of dragging people down how about throwing a few kind words and supporting thoughts. We never saw DA coming before, a lot of people also say before they will create an awesome web panel most failed while DA continue and now being one of successful web panel, yeah.

Actually creating one is easy, here are the things or ingredients you need.
    1. Time (lots of it)
    2. Funding (just enough to support devs)
    3. Positive and helpful Supports
    4. Awesome and Skilled Devs
    5. A supportive community of testers and users

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@Adam1 said: maybe they are making significant investments in certain areas to keep cpanel relevant.

It would have been nice to know what those fields are and how they are helping the shared hosting industry.

cPanel is a business, but a software business at that. Thousands of providers have built their business around cPanel. A price hike by 75% for bundled accounts might force some of the providers to readjust their business model.

Did cPanel discuss the potential price hike with anyone who might need to bring such core changes to adjust with the increased prices?

• That is totally unfair, they will kill small hosting companies available in the market

• @Abdullah7310 said:

@jmginer said:
    https://cyberpanel.net/ it's a good option

No Softaculous support stopped me using them :|

From what i gathered on their discord, softaculous team asked cyberpanel to remove their wordpress installer before they support them but the dev refused.

Thanked by 2Abd nyamenk
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

You will just be left with big providers using cPanel and people paying per account per month.

• Goodbye cPanel and small businesses using cPanel. Now it's the perfect time for DirectAdmin to lower the prices (Black Friday?) and absorb all this hosting-market sector leaving cPanel.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@default said:
    Goodbye cPanel and small businesses using cPanel. Now it's the perfect time for DirectAdmin to lower the prices (Black Friday?) and absorb all this hosting-market sector leaving cPanel.

Their pricing is already great, especially with some hosts evening including it (like us).

Francisco

Thanked by 2Ticaga JamesF
  • @Francisco said:

Their pricing is already great, especially with some hosts evening including it (like us).

Francisco

Free is a great price

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @default why would @DA_Mark need to lower DA prices? Their retail pricing is already way cheaper than the cpanel pricing that was announced. Then those that are in their partner program get extremely low prices when compared to cPanel NOC and even comparing DA retail to cPanel NOC in most cases- DA is still substantially cheaper. I don't understand why people immediately jump to- oh cut the price to gain market share when they already have a price advantage.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • @Unbelievable said:
    @default why would @DA_Mark need to lower DA prices? Their retail pricing is already way cheaper than the cpanel pricing that was announced. Then those that are in their partner program get extremely low prices when compared to cPanel NOC and even comparing DA retail to cPanel NOC in most cases- DA is still substantially cheaper. I don't understand why people immediately jump to- oh cut the price to gain market share when they already have a price advantage.

Because of Black Friday, to make that day extremely awesome and fun. I am aware Direct Admin is already cheaper than cPanel.

• DA pricing is very reasonable for what its capable of. Of course was cheaper in past until cPanel increased its price structure in 2019. That said @DA_Mark and team have done tremendous updates and changes since. However still within reasonable price point compared to cPanel. Have used DA since 2010, its less resource hog and very stable.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • Actually, our pricing will get even cheaper. We've been working behind the scenes to revamp our datacenter/NOC pricing (which is 90% of our business) and the timing couldn't be better. We aren't a gimmick/promo/Black Friday type company but @default has a legit point. May as well make the most of it.

On the flip side, we will require a small but fair monthly minimum order requirement and better verification procedures. There will be some DA hatred because those "datacenters" with 1 or 2 licenses (and 100's of monthly support tickets) will be making a lot of noise that we are kicking them to the curb.

It will also mean better development and better support, because we are eliminating the 1% that takes 99% of our time.

I'm a slow learner. Being nice and having faith rarely pays off. It makes me admire people like @seriesn who is still in the infancy of developing his brand, but doesn't give in to the person who demands something for almost nothing. Same with legends like @Francisco. When you offer a good (or insane) value for the price, no need to pander to unreasonable requests. There's no excuse to be a dick, but there is no excuse to be someone's doormat either.

• @DA_Mark said:
    Actually, our pricing will get even cheaper. We've been working behind the scenes to revamp our datacenter/NOC pricing (which is 90% of our business) and the timing couldn't be better. We aren't a gimmick/promo/Black Friday type company but @default has a legit point. May as well make the most of it.

On the flip side, we will require a small but fair monthly minimum order requirement and better verification procedures. There will be some DA hatred because those "datacenters" with 1 or 2 licenses (and 100's of monthly support tickets) will be making a lot of noise that we are kicking them to the curb.

It will also mean better development and better support, because we are eliminating the 1% that takes 99% of our time.

I'm a slow learner. Being nice and having faith rarely pays off. It makes me admire people like @seriesn who is still in the infancy of developing his brand, but doesn't give in to the person who demands something for almost nothing. Same with legends like @Francisco. When you offer a good (or insane) value for the price, no need to pander to unreasonable requests. There's no excuse to be a dick, but there is no excuse to be someone's doormat either.

Thanks for the ping boss <3. From business perspective, you and I share many similarities. One of which is you are really customer centric and personally assist your customers, regardless of the size of the brand. You have blessed us so many time that I am/will forever be in your debt.

With that said, I support your decision of properly verifying noc subscriptions and adding some form volume commit makes perfect sense. End of the volume makes up for the lost "profit" that you would otherwise make by selling standard licenses.

Maintaining good product costs money and time. The word affordable should never be replaced with cheap. Da does a really good job ensuring the product is not "Cheap", but rather quality value, that's more than affordable vs the competition.

If you need feedbacks with the pricing, I will be more than happy to share unbiased feedbacks :)

• Plesk monthly commitment (for only 15% discount) is 250/month. cPanel NOC is 500 a month I believe. So there is an instant comparison to offer the 1 license NOC when they complain

• @Unbelievable said:
    Plesk monthly commitment (for only 15% discount) is 250/month. cPanel NOC is 500 a month I believe. So there is an instant comparison to offer the 1 license NOC when they complain

Cpanel and plesk companies are from same group/invester.

I’ve been thinking about pushing a DA shared/reseller hosting company again, now maybe the time to offer some great offers.

• The joys of SaaS :wink:

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

We have been using DA for 12 years now. Very good solution compared to cPanel. Right now they are simply pricing themselves out of the market.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited October 2020

I can't believe they are using as excuse the development, still no nginx, no Centos8, no MYSQL 8. They are so far behind.

Not to mention that updates have been horrible lately, barely no new features in all major new releases, same with WHMCs

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@desfire said:
    I can't believe they are using as excuse the development, still no nginx, no Centos8, no MYSQL 8. They are so far behind.

Not to mention that updates have been horrible lately, barely no new features in all major new releases, same with WHMCs

They do support Mysql 8
    But all other things your are right

Yep, birth CPanel and WHMCS lacking

• @DA_Mark said:
    Actually, our pricing will get even cheaper. We've been working behind the scenes to revamp our datacenter/NOC pricing (which is 90% of our business) and the timing couldn't be better. We aren't a gimmick/promo/Black Friday type company but @default has a legit point. May as well make the most of it.

Maybe consider 1 account with unlimited domain ? just saying :)

great for 1 man show freelancer. Although I already have my license (thank you very much, btw), there are a lot of people like me out there. Maybe you can cater it for them.

Thanked by 1default
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited October 2020

@yokowasis said:

@DA_Mark said:

Maybe consider 1 account with unlimited domain ? just saying :)

I never liked these 1 account "and" 10, 30, or 50 domains type of limits. Limits should be only (or mainly) based on the number of login accounts.
    Maybe, set a big limit on the number of domains like 100 domains just to prevent people from hosting or thinking that they can host unlimited domains.

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: Their pricing is already great

@Unbelievable said: DA is still substantially cheaper.

@bula said: DA pricing is very reasonable for what its capable of.

@DA_Mark said: Actually, our pricing will get even cheaper.

It seems it is one of the rare occasions where I am against a price cut as a consumer.

DA prices are great, and no need to lower them further. Anyone can now get a DA license for $5 - $15 for their VPS / dedi.

I would like to suggest a monthly / yearly ticket cap.

The hosting industry is still tender after repetitive storms and the good folks need some time to settle down.

If there was a limit in number of tickets, perhaps it could tend to both parties as users couldn't post tickets more than their cap. So, most of them would likely to spend them carefully.

In addition, an option to buy additional tickets.

Asking for a price is often a good deterrent, so the additional option to buy additional ticket might work in favor of the dev team in both ways.

This way, those who really need support could get it, while enjoying your partner benfits. At the same time, the dev team would also get some benefit from the ticket purchases.

There's no excuse to be a dick, but there is no excuse to be someone's doormat either.

It must have taken a lot for you to write those words.

From what I have seen, most people see DA as a decent product and believe that your team has the skill set to deliver what they need.

Then comes the demands, in many forms and voices. They all are some form of feedback, not just criticism or bad mouthing.

Don't juts take the dust from the storm. People like DA, and very much depend on it.

Thanked by 1DA_Mark
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Well, DA since its early days has been always spot on. We have been really happy and it has got even better, for sure.

Im not sure how many would agree but Kloxo-MR by mustafa, has done a tremendous job, and I wish this project gets even further.

https://github.com/mustafaramadhan/kloxo/tree/dev

Thanked by 2Ympker DarkCarnage