Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archipel : True SolusVM Alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Archipel : True SolusVM Alternative?

lele0108lele0108 Member
edited March 2012 in General

I was looking for a SolusVM alternative, when I stumbled upon:

http://archipelproject.org/

It looks cool, and the interface is slick. I think it gives SolusVM a run for its money.

Comments

• There is many better than solus. People just think its the best because many use it.

http://www.virtpanel.com/
    http://www.virtualizor.com/

To name a few

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2012

Majority all have bugs including solusvm.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited March 2012

Archipel is not meant to be used as a hosting control panel, more of a in-house business type of thing.

Me & Ant (InceptionHosting) spoke to the developers asking about WHMCS integration etc and they didn't even know what WHMCS was :P

VirtPanel > Another VePortal from what i can see with their website, missing info and none working links etc.. Do any of these control panel company's put effort into marketing?

Virtualizor > I'm not even going to go into this one. Even more bugs than SolusVM and incompetent support when it comes to something out of the norm.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@VMPort said: Even more bugs than SolusVM

wat

• <3

Their KVM network bridge (Automatically Setup) cannot cope with IPv6 networking variables, although they like to claim otherwise.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited March 2012

@VMPort said: Virtualizor > incompetent support when it comes to something out of the norm.

virtualizor ver. 2.0.3-2.0.7 bug fix came from my report through ticket support. so i think they have a decent (not incompetent) support. and also, they don't have spam on their wiki site. not like this one.

on topic : Archipel use java, and that consume lot of memory + processor (at least for me).

• @Mon5t3r: are you using Virtualizor with WHMCS?

• @Damian, yes (for now). why? can we create new thread? :D

@lele0108 sorry for hijacking your thread. :P

• @VMPort said: VirtPanel > Another VePortal from what i can see with their website, missing info and none working links etc.. Do any of these control panel company's put effort into marketing?

Its nothing like veportal. take a look at it.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited March 2012

@DanielM said: Its nothing like veportal. take a look at it.

I didn't mean the software was the same i meant the feeling i get when i visit their website.

And ATM it doesn't seem like i can look at it, nothing works on their site.

• DerekDerek Member

@Mon5t3r said: virtualizor ver. 2.0.3-2.0.7 bug fix came from my report through ticket support. so i think they have a decent (not incompetent) support. and also, they don't have spam on their wiki site. not like this

lol, looks pretty professional (Sarcasm).

• Looks like someone went Frankenstein on iTunes and vmware's vCloud.
    Me gusta.

Anyone tried this out?

• OpenVZ Web Panel is actually pretty nice.

• @Daniel said: OpenVZ Web Panel is actually pretty nice.

It is. We were thinking about migrating to it, but then if we ever decide to offer Xen or KVM offerings, then we'd be screwed. :)

• @Damian said: It is. We were thinking about migrating to it, but then if we ever decide to offer Xen or KVM offerings, then we'd be screwed. :)

True, the next version will have bandwidth counting and template sync.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

So it seems like solusvm is still the way to go... We recently started to use it because of the whmcs integration...

• Just my 2c

I have been given the runaround from Solus in regards to the WHMCS module, my client side product section gives a black page and after logging it with Solus they told me to speak to WHMCS, they where very helpful to the extent that they took a copy of my entire site to do a debug. Two months later WHMCS told me that the issue is module related and that they don't have access to the Solus module code but will be more than willing to assist in the debug and that Solus should please contact them in this regard. So I contacted Solus in regards to the problem and got told it has been escalated to some department that has never got back to me and I have not heard anything since? Been tree months now so I am thinking I may look at something else?

JusBo GoWell

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2016

Hi Pavel,

Bumped the thread..

beatpavel said: {edited} lets you use KVM virtualization having only one license, while when using SolusVM you need to buy an additional license for each new node.

If I understand you correctly, both products need to buy additional slaves or nodes for a license. SolusVM provides a master-only license (you cannot make VM, only use for management). Within that single master license, you can add additional slaves (either unlimited, 5 VPS or 2 VPS type options). So, I do not see any difference, you use a single license for KVM nodes.

beatpavel said: Migration between nodes

Supported on SolusVM too. There is migration tool for KVM virtual machines. Although this is not live and is not based on clusters. It must be initiated manually.

beatpavel said: Most operations (like installation of new nodes) are available directly from {edited}, while SolusVM requires a more extensive use of the console.

I don't think many server administrators will mind this :)
    However, your cloud 'cluster' node license type is interesting.

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

beatpavel said: {edited}

The majority of Russian hosters have a tendency to use ISP products as far as I can see. Though it has a good functionality, but I personally don't like its interface. I also don't like your BILLmanager due to the lack of possibility to see all available options during an order stage, I have to be logged in…

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

And you don't offer a migration path from solusvm.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited April 2016

@deployvm said:
    Hi Pavel,

Bumped the thread..

beatpavel said: Migration between nodes

Supported on SolusVM too. There is migration tool for KVM virtual machines. Although this is not live and is not based on clusters. It must be initiated manually.

Where is that tool located for SolusVM? as far as I know its a manual process for KVM that looks like below: Is there some tool i'm not aware of?

virsh shutdown kvm283 (old node)

dd if=/dev/vg/kvm283_img | gzip | dd of=/home/kvm283_backup.gz bs=4096 (old node)

lvcreate -n kvm283_img --size 50G /dev/vg (new node)

scp -C /home/kvm283_backup.gz [email protected]:/home/ (old node)

dd if=/home/kvm283_backup.gz | gzip -d | dd of=/dev/vg/kvm283_img bs=4096 (new node)

/scripts/vm-migrate 227 19 (solusvm master)

lvremove /dev/vg/kvm283_img (old node)

• Virtualizor is powerful and i used it in the past years to share vpss with my friends . anyway my lic had expired and i dont know how it goes these days

about Archipel , i can see that's their GitHub commit was updated 19 hours ago

'Latest commit af2266d 19 hours ago @CyrilPeponnet CyrilPeponnet Add a missing permission.'

https://github.com/ArchipelProject/Archipel

• @zafouhar said:

@deployvm said:
    Hi Pavel,

Bumped the thread..

If your talking within SolusVM from one KVM node to another, you can just use the migration button within the VM view logged in as an admin.

Basically does what you do above, but pipes the dd over a SSH connection to save the two extra steps.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited April 2016

@AshleyUk said:

@zafouhar said:

@deployvm said:
    Hi Pavel,

Bumped the thread..

If your talking within SolusVM from one KVM node to another, you can just use the migration button within the VM view logged in as an admin.

Basically does what you do above, but pipes the dd over a SSH connection to save the two extra steps.

Well in that case the SolusVM support department staff needs to be fired because I asked and they told me they don't recommend using the migration button because its buggy...

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited April 2016

@zafouhar said:

>
    >

I have used it quite alot and had no issues at all.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2016

AshleyUk said: Basically does what you do above, but pipes the dd over a SSH connection to save the two extra steps.

I wrote this very basic script to migrate with minimal downtime, create the LV before running. Remove status=progress if the remote node is not CentOS 7 or not supported

#!/bin/sh

VPS="$1"
     for VPS in $VPS; do
      virsh suspend $VPS
      lvcreate -L5G -s -n"$VPS"_snap /dev/VolGroup00/"$VPS"_img
      virsh resume $VPS
      dd if=/dev/VolGroup00/"$VPS"_snap | ssh -p2200 [email protected] "dd of=/dev/VolGroup00/"$VPS"_img bs=4096 status=progress"

Use virsh suspend $VPS to boot the new VPS. Once you have verified the move was good

#!/bin/sh

VPS="$1"
     for VPS in $VPS; do
      rm -fv /etc/libvirt/qemu/autostart/"$VPS".xml
      rm -fv /etc/libvirt/qemu/"$VPS".xml
      virsh destroy $VPS
      lvremove /dev/VolGroup00/"$VPS"_img
    done;

You might want to add virsh undefine $VPS to the removal script, also use /scripts/vm-migrate VMID NODEID on the solus master to move location within solus, be aware you may need to edit the VNC port if the new VPS fails to boot, you can tell easily if the VNC port is an issue from the CLI with virsh create /etc/libvirt/qemu/$VPS.xml

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

@zafouhar said: Well in that case the SolusVM support department staff needs to be fired because I asked and they told me they don't recommend using the migration button because its buggy...

Yes, it's in the SolusVM panel. There is a migrate button when you manage a KVM VPS.
    I haven't had any issues with it, and used to migrate a whole node before!

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

@Ash_Hawkridge said:

<3

Their KVM network bridge (Automatically Setup) cannot cope with IPv6 networking variables, although they like to claim otherwise.

Yes? I am using IPv6 with it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Since @beatpavel wants SEO:

VMmanager is a product that apparently cannot develop a reputation without employing spammers. VMmanager is made by ISPsystem spammers. Scam. Trash. Spam. Bad. Do not buy.

Enjoy your SEO, pavel.