Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS that aren't 5, 9 or 14-eyes countries
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS that aren't 5, 9 or 14-eyes countries

nomitakunomitaku Member
edited September 2020 in Providers

I like vultr, linode and, to a lesser degree, digital ocean. But they all have servers in either 5, 9 or 14-eyes countries, and are incorporated in the US. 2 of them also have the servers in India, but it's still not enough - only 1 location.

Korea and Japan also belong to some eyes group I think.

Are there VPS providers that are as convenient, easy to use, as these 3 mentioned above, have $5-10/mo servers, but that also either incorporated ouside of the 5, 9 and 14-eyes countries or at least have a great selection of locations of servers that are? In some 2 or 3rd world countries, or in the ones that are known to care about privacy.

I don't need bullet proof completely anonymous servers.

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2020

What is eyes country?

• I think you best option for what you're looking for is Luxembourg with @Francisco.
    https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • First time hearing these terms. Did a quick lookup and found this https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/.

Looks like a marketing gimmick created by those VPN companies lol.

• UpCloud is incorporated in Finland and has servers in Finland and Singapore.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Way too many gullible people nowadays.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2020

@danielcardosopt said:
    I think you best option for what you're looking for is Luxembourg with @Francisco.
    https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

BuyVM is Canadian, and Canada is a 5 eyes country. Otherwise, BuyVM is great!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited September 2020

@nomitaku

I guess you'll have a hard time finding providers/VPSs matching that profile.

Btw,

• for some reasons the 14 eyes countries are also the countries with most/best internet infrastructure and international connectivity, which obviously attracts providers.
    • it's not just 5, 9, or 14 eyes but also a plethora of de facto subservient or at least not resisting countries. ==> forget it. Countries either are 14 eyes/not resisting -or- having poor internet infrastructure. Exceptions are very few, e.g. Russia, and not necessarily without their own problems.
    • your logic is flawed. If any element is reachable for 14 eyes then you are not safe. Example: VPS in (non 14 eyes country) is not safe if the provider is e.g. a UK company (5 eyes). Plus not all relevant elements are visible, majority shareholders for example, so you might think that some solution is "clean", while in fact it is not (hint: CIA is presumed to run quite a few "good & honest" VPN providers).
    • Even hosting in a perfectly "clean" location/provider != safe, because your dedi/VPS itself might be - and highly likely is! - easy to penetrate/hack.

TL;DR Unless you have lots of relevant know-how and capabilities ==> forget it!
    Keep in mind that one single weak link defines the strength of the whole chain.

You might possibly find an acceptable solution if you specify properly and precisely what you want because the sets of opponents, threats, etc. are actually quite different for different cases, e.g. free speech vs. hosting (mal)warez are entirely different things with entirely different opponents, needs, defenses, etc.

Thanked by 2ralph chihcherng
  • nomitakunomitaku Member
    edited September 2020

@jsg said:
    @nomitaku

I guess you'll have a hard time finding providers/VPSs matching that profile.

Btw,

• for some reasons the 14 eyes countries are also the countries with most/best internet infrastructure and international connectivity, which obviously attracts providers.
    • it's not just 5, 9, or 14 eyes but also a plethora of de facto subservient or at least not resisting countries. ==> forget it. Countries either are 14 eyes/not resisting -or- having poor internet infrastructure. Exceptions are very few, e.g. Russia, and not necessarily without their own problems.
    • your logic is flawed. If any element is reachable for 14 eyes then you are not safe. Example: VPS in (non 14 eyes country) is not safe if the provider is e.g. a UK company (5 eyes). Plus not all relevant elements are visible, majority shareholders for example, so you might think that some solution is "clean", while in fact it is not (hint: CIA is presumed to run quite a few "good & honest" VPN providers).
    • Even hosting in a perfectly "clean" location/provider != safe, because your dedi/VPS itself might be - and highly likely is! - easy to penetrate/hack.

TL;DR Unless you have lots of relevant know-how and capabilities ==> forget it!
    Keep in mind that one single weak link defines the strength of the whole chain.

You might possibly find an acceptable solution if you specify properly and precisely what you want because the sets of opponents, threats, etc. are actually quite different for different cases, e.g. free speech vs. hosting (mal)warez are entirely different things with entirely different opponents, needs, defenses, etc.

You've misundertood my question -- it's not about evaluating feasiability of what I'm looking for.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @Brend4n said: UpCloud is incorporated in Finland and has servers in Finland and Singapore.

I've used that, didn't like it.

• @nomitaku said:

@Brend4n said: UpCloud is incorporated in Finland and has servers in Finland and Singapore.

I've used that, didn't like it.

So, lay down your budget, your hopes and wishes, what do you plan to host?

There is few:

https://bahnhof.net/
    https://prq.se/

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Forget about Sweden not dancing to the tunes from Washington. If desired by Washington they'll gladly invent a rape accusation, fake evidence, ignore real evidence, and destroy your life.

Thanked by 2sidewinder pike
  • socratesjrsocratesjr Member
    edited September 2020

I think the OP wants servers whose providers don't have to share server data from the countries that aren't in any eyes group. If you get what I mean.

If the OP knows about the eyes countries, then also probably knows that most of the cheap infrastructure is being held by the countries in the eyes group.

I think Digital ocean will be my best bet. Or any russian alternatives. Dediserve also has servers in many locations including non eyes ones.

• @socratesjr said: I think Digital ocean will be my best bet

DO is USA... It has all eyes +1 more.

• @LTniger said: DO is USA... It has all eyes +1 more.

Don`t forget https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_Act

Did someone just recommend DO to OP?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @deank said: Did someone just recommend DO to OP?

LowEndOpinions

Thanked by 3jsg AlwaysSkint bdl

Indeedo.

• All German and USA based providers by default goes to the eyes category. Since, OP mentioned Linode and DO. That's why I said my best bet would be DO if he really wants to choose from there.

Otherwise, many Romania based providers are there in LET. Or Russian alternatives.

• @hzr said:

@deank said: Did someone just recommend DO to OP?

LowEndOpinions

Yup. LowEndOpinions for LowEndTalkers in LowEndTalk.
    It's complete now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jsg said: they'll gladly invent a rape accusation

On the spectrum between "the US pressured Sweden to covertly hire two women to invent a charge of rape against Assange" and "Assange is the kind of jerk who'd behave in exactly the way he was charged," I think time has shown that the latter is far more likely.

Thanked by 2debaser TimboJones
  • debaserdebaser Member
    edited September 2020

I think it’s important to know what you are going to do with the VPS. Not the details, but the ball park it’s in.

If what you’re going to do on the VM is ring alarm bells at the secret services in these countries, they will almost certainly ring alarm bells with the secret services in third countries too. And if you take it too far, one of those ‘14 eye’ countries’ secret services will be interested in you anyway.

If it’s some freedom of speech thing, you’ll be good to go in a lot of countries, especially the US.
    If it’s anonymity you’re after a no log provider, there’s a lot of providers in those countries you listed that can pretty much guarantee you that, just because a lot of the countries in this list haven’t got real data retention laws.

Wanna be on the safe side? Just pick Iceland. I’d recommend 1984.is

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@debaser said: Wanna be on the safe side? Just pick Iceland. I’d recommend 1984.is

Is there a reason? Other than saying they're "freedom fighters" on their web page and they're "safeguarding civil rights" and such, is there anything specific about them? I mean, it could be just marketing...

• @socratesjr said: Otherwise, many Romania based providers are there in LET. Or Russian alternatives.

What are those?

In Russia there's quite a bit of censorship, though.

edited September 2020

@debaser said: Wanna be on the safe side? Just pick Iceland. I’d recommend 1984.is

I'm using it, but that's only 1 provider and not many locations. And payments only in bitcoin.

• What illegal things are you up to?
    Is the question that always pop-up in my mind when hearing these kinds of things. It's not like you're super important enough, at least I'm not, for any government to care about what you do. Unless you're into some deep sh-t.

• Unless you open your post with something like, "hi, I work for The Guardian, so I need a safe server from all the Eyes law enforcement,"

You're sketchy as fuck.

edited September 2020

@CasualCanvas said:
    What illegal things are you up to?
    Is the question that always pop-up in my mind when hearing these kinds of things. It's not like you're super important enough, at least I'm not, for any government to care about what you do. Unless you're into some deep sh-t.

If you haven't noticied, you yourself are on this forum and in this topic, have left a comment.

Why are you here? Looking for some info? For what? Do you have anything to hide? What's that?

If you have nothing to hide, why does the question bother you then?

• @raindog308 said:

Is there a reason? Other than saying they're "freedom fighters" on their web page and they're "safeguarding civil rights" and such, is there anything specific about them? I mean, it could be just marketing...

The first is the location: Iceland has great privacy laws and freedom of speech is practically infinite. Icelandic law also protects whistleblowers instead of just reporting them. Iceland itself is connected directly to Amsterdam, London and Canada, so your connection will be good as well.

The ISP itself is not a ‘bulletproof’ hosting provider, but they won’t give in too the authorities. If there’s an investigation, they’ll inform you. They don’t work with authorities unless they really have too.