Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network spike where should I look?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network spike where should I look?

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited September 2020 in General

Hi,

I have a boring website. But today I got spike of 10MB/s for 3hrs I think. Where should I look at to see if anything is unusual? It's inbound traffic mostly.

Comments

• Sorry I am idiot admin. I am more of a programmer.

• On your firewall? 😈

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Start by checking your webserver logs. Under /var/log/ look for folders named: http, www, apache or nginx.

If they don't show the spike in traffic, and you haven't specifically set-up logging of network traffic before, it may not be possible to find out the cause. A learning experience for next time.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Apache / Nginx visit log should be the first thing to check.
    Check mailq if some bot hook up to a vulnerable form or something trying to generate SPAM.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Best thing to do is check the access logs, if you want to know if a specific IP visited your sites the most today you can use a oneliner like:

(You can leave the | grep “27/Sep/2020” part out if you like)
    cat *log | grep “27/Sep/2020” | awk {‘print $1’} | sort -n | uniq -c | sort -h

Also what you can do is check the dmesg on your server if anything went out of memory, check the mailqueue (with mailq) if a site is sending spam or something

Thanked by 2jugganuts jcaleb
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Start with tcpdump if it's happening. Now that it's happened unless you logged interesting information you may well be SoL.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • Do a good old fashion tcpdump. Now, if you are up for real monitoring go with some prometheus + grafana + node_exporter.

I am still trying to figure out a way to monitor for abuse on our networks. I found prometheus is one of the best out there.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • thank you guys I will check these

• Goaccess, nodequery, iptraf, iftop, vnstats

Thanked by 1jcaleb