Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2x 2TB+ Dedicated Server in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2x 2TB+ Dedicated Server in Europe

tjntjn Member
edited September 2020 in Providers

Hi all,

I'm looking for a dedicated server with plenty of storage for backup purposes.
I usually go straight to Hetzner, but thought I'd see what else is out there this time.

Location - Europe
RAM - 8GB or more
Storage - Minimum 2x 2TB (offers for 3/4 TB would be great)
Price - the lower the better :)

Edit:
No OVH.
Happy to commit to a 6months+ obligation/contract, paid monthly.

Comments

• kimsufi, soyoustart

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2020

Could do you a

MR5
    C2550 (4c,4t)
    8GB ECC RAM
    4x 3TB HDD (CMR)
    5TB Traffic on 100Mbit/s Port (1x IPV4)
    IPMI/HTML5 Console
    Monthly Contract
    for 45 euro per month (40 euro with 10% off if you drop me a pn)
    (USD: 45eur==53 usd, 40 eur == 47 usd)

Alternatively you can have a

MR5_Upgraded
    C2550 (4c,4t)
    8 GB ECC RAM
    4x 4TB HDD (CMR)
    5TB Traffic on 100Mbit/s Port (1x IPV4)
    IPMI/HTML5 Console
    Monthly Contract
    for 55 euro per month (50 euro with 10% off if you drop me a pn)
    (USD: 55 eur==65usd, 50eur==59usd)

Kind regards

• @SGraf I never considered an Atom based server, how well/badly would it run proxmox + Debian VMs?

edited September 2020

@tjn said:
    @SGraf I never considered an Atom based server, how well/badly would it run proxmox + Debian VMs?

i can assign you one for 24 hours for testing if you like.

cpu spec: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/77982/intel-atom-processor-c2550-2m-cache-2-40-ghz.html

atom comparison: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-atom-c2550-benchmarks-4-core-avoton-tested/

...alternativly if you want a faster atom with more cores and 16 gb of ram, i could do 60 euro/month(70usd) for the MR2 (c2758 (8c,8t), 16gb ecc, 4x4tb).

.......................... if you want virtualization, with a cpu that is good fun: i do have a few xeon d-based offerings. (see myroot.pw)

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited September 2020

Why can't you just use Google Drive and abUse its unlimited storage for backup ?

Thanked by 2kkrajk lentro
  • @yokowasis said:
    Why can't you just use Google Drive and abUse its unlimited storage for backup ?

I'm taking backups of production systems, Google Drive doesn't offer what I require for this type of setup.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • You can use alphavps dedicated for about 60 eur for 6TB Storage.

• How much bandwidth do you need for these? If you are looking at less than 50T a month then I have some awesome deals at Leaseweb (NL, AMS01) that fits your needs https://walkerservers.com/dedicated-leaseweb/

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @khnielsen any plans on getting a provider tag? Also, how do you deal with overage charges? I understand leaseweb can have large overage charges

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited September 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    Also, how do you deal with overage charges? I understand leaseweb can have large overage charges

I'm 100% certain they use bandwidth pooling for their servers (or bandwidth aggregation) since their traffic offerings are quite non-standard. Leaseweb does not offer 50TB, 150TB or 300TB traffic. So they have a lot of control over the bandwidth and traffic allocation of each server to avoid overage charges from Leaseweb. The last reseller I used who pooled bandwidth/traffic on his servers, started limiting the QoS on my server's port speed a few months in after I kept using 70%+ of the traffic.

For those who don't know bandwidth pooling is basically a tool used by resellers to oversell bandwidth and traffic. For instance, I buy a 100 servers with 2500TB traffic @ 0.x euro/TB. I pay for the server hardware and the bandwidth separately. With simple math, each server averages out to 25TB traffic usage but to make offers more attractive, I can take some risks and advertise 50TB and "pray" my clients don't use more than 25TB average per server. If my clients do start using more than 25TB traffic per server, I can start limiting their usage by artificially reducing their bandwidth QoS so their usage averages under 25TB per month and I don't have to get loans to pay off overage charges.

Personally I tend to keep my distance from resellers trying to aggressively undercut the market. I feel like they're trying to take on Hetzner at this point by experimenting with 1Gig unmetered on Leaseweb. Leaseweb's network is kind of poop anyway, you'll most likely get way better speeds across the globe with OVH or Hetzner. Their baseline network tier (Volume) mainly peers over Cogent, and their trans-atlantic routes are usually quite congested.

/s

Thanked by 2vimalware tjn
  • khnielsenkhnielsen Member
    edited September 2020

@Unbelievable said:
    @khnielsen any plans on getting a provider tag? Also, how do you deal with overage charges? I understand leaseweb can have large overage charges

I just finished the website a few days ago, so yes I will ask for a provider tag at some point. As for overusage, in my case - You get an email alert prior to running out of bandwidth, you can then opt to either pay for more, limit your usage or wait for the next billing period as you get a fresh pack of data there.

@sunnyg

Decent writeup, im afraid you are wrong on some points though, let me outline it.
    First off, yes all Leaseweb machines are running on a bandwidth pool (Like it should), you say this like its a bad thing? It is the only way (Besides Premium traffic) to get guaranteed link speed at Leaseweb, normally resellers take in a server including the 100TB pack, but in those cases you do not get guaranteed link speed, instead the only guarantee is that you will get 300Mbit, much in line with what you have seen previously from another reseller.

That said, you mention QoS limiting, I naturally cannot say for others but that will NEVER happen on my machines and the reason is quite simple, I have no such option - I rent all the gear from Leaseweb and it is all in their control, I have 0 access to change anything at all related to the network.

Think of it like this:
    1. Reseller takes a server including a 100TB pack, Leaseweb takes the "risk" here and expects that the client doesnt use it all, if they do Leaseweb has the option to dial back speed.
    2. Reseller signs a deal for a bandwidth pool, in this case it is in Leasewebs best interest for that reseller to use as much data as possible (Hence guaranteed link speeds).

Now as for pricing with all due respect, then you cannot really comment on what is sustainable for me or not, my site and my company (Including employees) will be around in a decade aswell quite simply because the current structure is sustainable in all scenarios.

You mention the network quality - While highly individual I would say that Leaseweb is still better than Hetzner, even though Hetzner has improved a lot, there are a situations where the volume network at Leaseweb is not as fast as OVH (Which is also a solid network), but stating that its pure cogent is quite simply wrong, but no matter which host you get from in EU you will eventually have issues across the atlantic

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

One processor - BaCloud-Basic
    » CPU: Intel® Atom™ Processor D2700 2C/4T (1M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
    » RAM: 4GB DDR3
    » 2 x 3.5" 3TB 6GB/S SATA3
    » IPv4 Address: 1 IP address
    » IPv6 Address: 1 IPv6 address
    » Internet speed: 100Mbps ( no limit )

29.50€/monthly

https://www.bacloud.com/en/dedicated-servers

Thanked by 1tjn

@bacloud said:
    One processor - BaCloud-Basic
    » CPU: Intel® Atom™ Processor D2700 2C/4T (1M Cache, 2.13 GHz)
    » Internet speed: 100Mbps ( no limit )

I just want to point out that this is actually a decent offer when it comes to bandwith. (something that is slightly more expensive with me), but you get less cpu power,ram and disk-space in return.

Price diff is 10 eur (11.7 usd) compared to the mr5

Thanked by 1tjn
  • Thanks for all the comments guys.
    I've noticed that 2x 2TB servers are pretty cheap, as soon as the hdd size increases to 3TB or more, prices almost double. I'm curious, are 3/4TB drives that much more expensive?

• @tjn said:
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    I've noticed that 2x 2TB servers are pretty cheap, as soon as the hdd size increases to 3TB or more, prices almost double. I'm curious, are 3/4TB drives that much more expensive?

I think its mostly down to server spec, as for raw cost then yeah there is a difference, and a 4T drive is more than double (Atleast for me, although I dont have pricing on 3T drives), but it widely depend on product, a 2x2T machine is often paired with a slow cpu and minimal ram versus a 2x4 that might be higher specced on the cpu/ram front aswell.

• Even 2x4TB on E3's+DD3 from 2014 is still basically more than double the price.

It's funny, even on your offering, you have 2x8TB and it doesn't double the price, sure it goes up, but I feel like with 90% of providers the more you add drives, the less value you get. Until you jump to the 8TB offering (similar to what Hetzner and OVH have - I'm just not there yet...) then you get decent bang for your buck.

With some providers, its cheaper for me to get two of their 2x2TB with E3's and additional IP's than to get one 2x4TB...

• khnielsenkhnielsen Member
    edited September 2020

Yeah I naturally cannot say how other vendors price out their setups, I generally go with a fixed margin (I assume others do aswell), given the volume I manage at this time I get some really good prices from Leaseweb, hence why I can offer prices as low as I can at this stage.

• I have a Hetzner server to spare, as I'm gonna upgrade and they are not giving the one I have at low price which I got, so thought its good to transfer. Specs are:

Intel Xeon E3-1246V3 (4c,8t)
    HDD2x HDD SATA 2,0 TB Enterprise (4TB)
    RAM4x RAM 8192 MB DDR3 (32GB)
    Invoices I get: €21.85 (excl. VAT)

• MarshalCheMarshalChe Member
    edited September 2020

Edit: i can't read first post carefully :-D

Thanked by 1DigiGoon
  • I guess, I created a discussion thread for the above thing and got banned. I'm new so.

• @DigiGoon said: I created a discussion thread for the above thing and got banned. I'm new so.

and already ban evading? 🤦‍♂️

• hzrhzr Member
    edited September 2020

@Falzo said: and already ban evading? 🤦‍♂️

Nah we're good. Explained that usually when someone signs up and their first post in five minutes is trying to flog something they usually end up getting inundated in reports for spam/scam.

Thanked by 1Falzo