Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen Paravirtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen Paravirtualization

LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

Hey I was just wondering if Xen PV was a thing of the past now? Is anybody still interested in purchasing this type of VPS?

Comments

• No. Xen was a glitch between openvz and kvm. Just a hick up. Prometeus has xen boxes, everyone else kvm, vmware or virtuozzo 7.

• Xen PV hast it's pros but since KVM is almost similar effortable these days and working with proxmox, I suppose most people go with this. What I like about this Xen thing is that you can run Xen PV and Xen HVM on the same node natively. So Xen, KVM and VMware are all three alive for me.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Xen HVM and KVM are great virtualisation the rest can be ignored.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

KVM is popular because it has little to no cost overhead. Other than the control panel if you decide to add one.

Similar to openVZ vs Virtuozzo back in the day.

Since Xen has ties with Citrix, it makes more sense to just go with KVM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7cjpe8/why_is_the_market_moving_away_from_xen_to_kvm/

• @LittleCreek said:
    Hey I was just wondering if Xen PV was a thing of the past now? Is anybody still interested in purchasing this type of VPS?

Tbh, is there any additional advantage of running Xen over KVM these days?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@seriesn said:

@LittleCreek said:

Tbh, is there any additional advantage of running Xen over KVM these days?

Yes:

(1) It has a cooler name

(2) You won’t confuse it with a KVM console

(3) It’s faster by at least one key stroke to type “Xen” instead of “KVM”, even with caps lock

I think that’s it.

Thanked by 1chip
  • LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

I have one server running Xen PV and HVM. I had several years ago but down to just one now. I was thinking about setting up another if there was interest but it appears there is not much.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • Dont know why, but one of my provider serverica( @Hani ) uses only xen!

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2020

I think that issue is less about technical advantages but rather about market acceptance, tool availability, and herd effect. Xen can be a better choice but with everyone and his dog asking about KVM VPSs and relatively rich tooling available KVM is what virtually all hosters go with.

TL;DR In the vast majority of cases they are similar enough so unless you have the know-how, the expertise, and the concrete need to use XEN just use KVM.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

XenPV was great back in the day, but it's pretty much dead now.

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

OK it seems I am the only defender of xen in general :)

XenPV is dead now since now you can run HVM guest with PV drivers which will give you the benefit of the PV performance plus all HVM vitalization benefits

Xen is still great choice in terms of features, performance and security

Just check the new virtualisation mode called PVH
    this mode will get rid of qemu , which means that the attack service on vms running this technologies is much less than HVM or KVM guests (vast majority of security issues in KVM and Xen HVM is related to privilege escalation n qemu)

For us what makes xen better choice is the amount of free (enterprise quality) tool in its echo system that makes our lives easier
    check xcp-ng project and check the xenAPI
    this ecosystem is what we love about xen more than the virtualisation technology

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited October 2020

@servarica_hani said:
    For us what makes xen better choice is the amount of free (enterprise quality) tool in its echo system that makes our lives easier
    check xcp-ng project and check the xenAPI
    this ecosystem is what we love about xen more than the virtualisation technology

Agree with you. Since most commercial providers use KVM, most tools are commercialized too, though I wouldn't call these tools really enterprise (which is VMware only imo).

Thanked by 1servarica_hani