Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My early christmas wish.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My early christmas wish.

Dear Christmas,
I wish and I hope that Direct Admin Lite License will have 30 accounts and 90 domains. :wink:
or DA's Personal License with 10 accounts and 30 domains.

That would be a lovely Christmas gift. :blush: :smiley:

Comments

• I guess you should've tagged Santa. @DA_Mark

• Oh yeah, I forgot to tag Santa. :smiley:

• @jeorlie - I guess it would increase your profit margin in servicing your clients. However, it would mean less revenue for DA. It would also increase support issues as more people shift to licenses that are supposedly self service, rather than first line support from a VPS Vendor. Even if self serve, self support, the whining factor will undoubtedly go up on this forum and others as they will publicly voice their unhappiness rather than methodically and patiently working with their vps provider. If I recall @DA_Mark went thru a fairly deliberate process when arriving at these plans.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @Unbelievable thanks for your comment. I got your point.

it would mean less revenue for DA

I did not think of that. I thought their revenue will increase by some percentage. Since many will go and take a bite.

I was thinking of people starting in the "Personal" plan and then eventually move to a higher plan.

support issues as more people shift to licenses that are supposedly self-service

I cannot agree with this fully. There are a few maybe.

the whining factor will undoubtedly go up on this forum and others as they will publicly voice their unhappiness rather than methodically and patiently working with their VPS provider

Well for me, DA is mature and stable. If they are not happy the can just find another. DA is getting more and more attention these days.

If that is not possible they can introduce a newer budget-friendly license.
    For example, me being selfish while writing this

$5 -> 10 accounts/ 30 domains (This will really help startups and some devs)
    Why? Well, we know that shared hosting is oversold. They can roll a Hetzner server and DA budget-friendly license. Once their customer loves their server (Not oversold yet) their popularity will increase and that is the time they upgrade to a higher plan.

$15 Lite -> 30 accounts / 90 domains
    Well maybe there are people who will go downgrade but I doubt that many neither stay forever in that downgraded plan. They will again eventually go up for a better plan once they hit the limit.

I know this is non-sense to you. Let me tell you a short story I know a person who started selling 50 pcs of barbeque in the street. People love it. He then starts selling 100 pcs. More people came. He then increases the numbers to 500 to 1000. Now, he owns a Grill Restaurant.
    Does this make sense?

So what about the meat vendor where he buys the meat? Did he lose revenue? He owns a meat shop now.

Why does that happen? Well, the meat vendor provided a quality meat. The barbeque seller makes delicious barbeque. Oh my God, too much drama here. Sorry.

• @jeorlie I get your point too. In a normal world- people try things, then buy more things, then make bigger business and buy even more! Go to one football game, get hooked, buy season tickets, buy jerseys, start traveling to away games etc etc.

Unfortunately LET and hosting doesn't seem normal to me - so many hosters want to keep cutting costs, cutting costs, and minimize their cost for support etc - just seems crazy to me. So if they could save $1 - many would switch, then complain the product is different, just seems what the industry has turned into.

• @Unbelievable yeah, your right. Point taken.

Unfortunately LET and hosting doesn't seem normal to me

I agree with you.

• @jeorlie said:
    @Unbelievable yeah, your right. Point taken.

Unfortunately LET and hosting doesn't seem normal to me

I agree with you.

My friend,
    If you are looking to spend 5-10 bucks for the license alone, why not pickup a Nexus Bytes VPS :)

Personal DA licnese is free and there's a sexy value bundle for $5/month https://my.nexusbytes.com/cart.php?a=add&bid=4

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • I'm confused @seriesn the link you posted. Does it include a VPS or just the DA license only? What I understand is that this is only a DA license that can be used for VPS instance. The VPS part is not included?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2020

@jeorlie said:
    I'm confused @seriesn the link you posted. Does it include a VPS or just the DA license only? What I understand is that this is only a DA license that can be used for VPS instance. The VPS part is not included?

You understood that correctly my friend. This is an internal value bundle for Nexus Bytes Family members, that can be purchased with any VPS :)

• @jeorlie said:
    @Unbelievable thanks for your comment. I got your point.

it would mean less revenue for DA

I did not think of that. I thought their revenue will increase by some percentage. Since many will go and take a bite.

I was thinking of people starting in the "Personal" plan and then eventually move to a higher plan.

That IS the plan, except people pay to move to the higher plan, not expect to be subsidized in their small business venture by raising limits but not prices.

10 accounts and 30 domains for a Personal license is not at all in the manner which DA intends to be (ab)used.

If an extra $14/mo breaks the bank for you to get unlimited accounts and domains, you probably need more capital to run your business.

• @TimboJones said:
    If an extra $14/mo breaks the bank for you to get unlimited accounts and domains, you probably need more capital to run your business.

Just last year, prices were a lot cheaper. 15$/month for cPanel unlimited and I guess direct admin unlimited? Never checked them out until cPanel increased price by so much.

But add up license costs. A good host would like to have cloudlinux+ litespeed+ direct admin + antivirus (inmunify) + site builder + Softaculous/installatron

So at the end of the day 120$/month or so in added costs would somewhat break your profitability, more if you want to horizontally scale and actually not oversell your servers. This kind of forces more providers to scale vertically and increase prices. So you have to pack more and more clients in one single machine, and have kind of "super machines" that have a single point of failure for a lot of websites.

A dilema for many providers I guess.

• @Hosterlabs said:

@TimboJones said:

Just last year, prices were a lot cheaper. 15$/month for cPanel unlimited and I guess direct admin unlimited? Never checked them out until cPanel increased price by so much.

But add up license costs. A good host would like to have cloudlinux+ litespeed+ direct admin + antivirus (inmunify) + site builder + Softaculous/installatron

So at the end of the day 120$/month or so in added costs would somewhat break your profitability, more if you want to horizontally scale and actually not oversell your servers. This kind of forces more providers to scale vertically and increase prices. So you have to pack more and more clients in one single machine, and have kind of "super machines" that have a single point of failure for a lot of websites.

A dilema for many providers I guess.

I'm sorry, I know in comparison it might be a lot to some, but I feel they provide that value and therefore have little sympathy. There's $2 and $7/year deals posted so often (I got free lifetime sharing with virmach and 10 euro lifetime shared hosting!), it seems the prices are pretty low and could be raised so that all those vendors have a successful business themselves.

• @Hosterlabs - Let's accept your $120 in license costs and add $120 for a server (thats 4320 for a server over 3 year expense/depreciation) and 60 for colo. Thats 300 a month. Put 600 clients on a server, thats an infra cost of 50 cents a month per client. Put 300 thats $1.00 a month. SO a low volume server for a cost of $1.00 per client a month. If you are doing a large scale enterprise and not one that is for beer money/bragging rights among your friends - you customer acquisition costs may be close to that high. A companies real single point of failure is an owner that doesn't properly price product, always has a sale, spends too much on affiliate/client acquisition etc etc.

Have you asked paypal for a cheaper plan? What about immunify? Softaculous is already cheap - did you ask them to make it free?

The only dilemma is can you justify higher prices to your clients? And that depends on your target market and your DEMONSTRATED skills in running a top notch host

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited September 2020

I prefer 1 account unlimited domain. That way it's really personal use. You can't resell hosting / account on it. It's great for one man show.

If you want to host your own reseller, it would make much sense to just order reseller hosting. You don't need to buy da license. Or if you prefer vps / dedicated, buy it from provider that offer free da LICENSE. There are a lot of them. You can start from as low as $5 a month. That's already including cloud Linux, softaculous, and other bell and whistles. Also it comes managed.

Thanked by 1team_traitor
  • @Unbelievable said:
    @Hosterlabs - Let's accept your $120 in license costs and add $120 for a server (thats 4320 for a server over 3 year expense/depreciation) and 60 for colo. Thats 300 a month. Put 600 clients on a server, thats an infra cost of 50 cents a month per client. Put 300 thats $1.00 a month. SO a low volume server for a cost of $1.00 per client a month. If you are doing a large scale enterprise and not one that is for beer money/bragging rights among your friends - you customer acquisition costs may be close to that high. A companies real single point of failure is an owner that doesn't properly price product, always has a sale, spends too much on affiliate/client acquisition etc etc.

Have you asked paypal for a cheaper plan? What about immunify? Softaculous is already cheap - did you ask them to make it free?

The only dilemma is can you justify higher prices to your clients? And that depends on your target market and your DEMONSTRATED skills in running a top notch host

No I totally agree with you, I am just saying that sometimes this kind of pricing can make it difficult to provide quality over quantity. At least on my case, I rather have 10 cPanel servers than 1 massive one. For me it would be better to spread customers into several servers and not have them overloaded. This obviously would increase performance and reliability on an environment scale. Horizontal scaling is being limited by this kind of pricing. So many more providers are using big servers that have to get upgraded so often and cause some downtime.

I do not want free software or free services, I am just adding my perspective. I have put a lot of thought on trying to scale mainly horizontally. Which I find difficult without any partnership with cpanel or direct admin. And obviously trying to offer a better quality would discourage the consumer from getting it, as the price would have to go up and up. What do buyers want? Cheaper and cheaper for more. Although someone oversells by far more, the price is cheaper, so they go with the competition.

It is my thought that the price increase of cPanel has affected mainly the consumer by a lot. Many "providers" (not from this forum) use shared cpanel licenses or nulled ones. Having higher prices has encouraged piracy, price increases to customers, more downtime as more providers scale vertically, more overselling, malware, hacking, etc... I think it is a chain and a problem that existed became more acute.

I say this because 4 or 5 years ago I did not see so many posts on social media of people trying to sell fake licenses from cPanel and so many offers of $3 USD a year for shared hosting.

Think about it also on another matter, to get that 300$/month server filled, you would need around 60 clients that pay on average 5$ month. Now, getting those 60 clients does not have an acquisition cost of 1$. I dare you to try and get 60 clients with 60$. I would estimate a real acquisition cost far higher at around 8-12$ per customer, if not higher. Hosting Is one of the most competed keywords on google and one of the most expensive ones. To get a click it is around 10$+ USD cpc at least. Go ahead and try to compete with go daddy or bluehost or any of the big ones. They own the entire hosting advertisement. So in reality, to get those $120 covered for only licensing you would need what? 25 customers? So this is actually making the bar higher to be able to provide good hosting and at quality. Which is good as summer hosts are lest likely to succeed, but as I mentioned earlier, more piracy... And a higher bar for mid to small business in the hosting industry. And thus less competition. So this could actually be cPanel protecting the big businesses

So a price increase is never just 5$, I believe it has so many repercussions to so many people. So it is fair to complain about just 5-14$ extra a month.

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited September 2020

@DA_Mark too much drama here. :smiley:

I do have a reseller account and so far the uptime is good but looking for clients is not easy.
    I do have a low-end dedi with SSD drive and I am sure it can host 10-15 clients running WordPress without a problem.

Reseller is okay but what about your clients? What if they feel that their website slowed down? They will surely look for another.

I have shared hosting and I really feel that the machine is slow and often the server seems rebooting. The uptime is 99% though it is still okay for a $1 monthly.

I pay $15 for the low-end dedi monthly. I really wanted to convert it into shared hosting this way I know that I give each client smooth hosting. I will also know whos ruining the server in-case some runs a nasty CPU hogging script. Now I can afford the DA's unlimited license but I don't know If I can allow myself to waste too much money for 2 or 3 years since you know that on this business you'll start gaining after a year or two.

You can only charge $2.5 per client now for a shared WordPress hosting and that is the competitive cheaper price you can offer unless you oversold. You can offer a lesser price but that would mean you have to oversell.

10 clients * 2.5 = ($25 - $17) and you earn around $7.

In-case you only have 5 clients * 2.5 ($12.5 / $17) you'll only lose a few pennies unlike ($12.5 - $44) and losing around $31 every month. That is a lot of coffee you know.

If only DA's $2 personal plan allows 10 users/clients that would be nice. Spending $17 is cheaper than spending $44. In case I have more clients I can go for the next plan.

To some who will say you not should start if you don't have many eggs to break. We'll kindly read the little story I shared above. peace :smiley: :blush:

• @jeorlie said:
    @DA_Mark too much drama here. :smiley:

I do have a reseller account and so far the uptime is good but looking for clients is not easy.
    I do have a low-end dedi with SSD drive and I am sure it can host 10-15 clients running WordPress without a problem.

Reseller is okay but what about your clients? What if they feel that their website slowed down? They will surely look for another.

I have shared hosting and I really feel that the machine is slow and often the server seems rebooting. The uptime is 99% though it is still okay for a $1 monthly.

I pay $15 for the low-end dedi monthly. I really wanted to convert it into shared hosting this way I know that I give each client smooth hosting. I will also know whos ruining the server in-case some runs a nasty CPU hogging script. Now I can afford the DA's unlimited license but I don't know If I can allow myself to waste too much money for 2 or 3 years since you know that on this business you'll start gaining after a year or two.

You can only charge $2.5 per client now for a shared WordPress hosting and that is the competitive cheaper price you can offer unless you oversold. You can offer a lesser price but that would mean you have to oversell.

10 clients * 2.5 = ($25 - $17) and you earn around $7.

In-case you only have 5 clients * 2.5 ($12.5 / $17) you'll only lose a few pennies unlike ($12.5 - $44) and losing around $31 every month. That is a lot of coffee you know.

If only DA's $2 personal plan allows 10 users/clients that would be nice. Spending $17 is cheaper than spending $44. In case I have more clients I can go for the next plan.

To some who will say you not should start if you don't have many eggs to break. We'll kindly read the little story I shared above. peace :smiley: :blush:

Dude, you need to find another career. If you're content to stay in hosting business, just use webmin/virtualmin and have unlimited domains and accounts and skip the $29/mo expense. This will transfer the labour to you, which is a GOOD thing, as you're super green and not really cut out for this business. You should have at least started out with some work experience from an existing provider. It's like you read about "summer hosting" and thought, "I can do that!"