Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FI/HEL, 6 Cores / 12 Threads Intel Xeon, 2GB ECC RAM, 5GB SSD, 1Gbit, Backups included @ €3.16/month - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FI/HEL, 6 Cores / 12 Threads Intel Xeon, 2GB ECC RAM, 5GB SSD, 1Gbit, Backups included @ €3.16/month

13»

Comments

• @Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:
    Feedback : I would expect to find a minimum 20GB ssd quota for the $4 tier. (especially since it's a zfs dataset, not LVM)

Out of curiosity, why do you believe a zfs dataset give you more disk space than LVM backed storage?

Thin provisioning , I assume. The next tier is 50gb ssd for 10 eur/m.

It definitely looks odd resource wise.
    Just the impression that I got.

• @Webdock_io said: No our plans are not really well suited for that sort of thing and depending on the media it may be in breach of our terms and conditions as we do not allow dissemination of copyrighted material

Personal Media Server. Just doing rclone my cloud drive for my usage.
    doesnt really "disseminate"
    anyway, i did start a trial and the performance is..
    too good.

• Webdock_ioWebdock_io Member, Host Rep

@forces said:

@Webdock_io said: No our plans are not really well suited for that sort of thing and depending on the media it may be in breach of our terms and conditions as we do not allow dissemination of copyrighted material

Ok in that case I think you should be OK. High CPU use will trip monitoring alerts and an engineer will most likely take a look at your server at some point to discern what's going on. This is a service to our customers, really!

too good.

Glad to hear it :)

@vimalware said:

@Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:
    Feedback : I would expect to find a minimum 20GB ssd quota for the $4 tier. (especially since it's a zfs dataset, not LVM)

Out of curiosity, why do you believe a zfs dataset give you more disk space than LVM backed storage?

I guess you could call it thin provisioning, as seen from our POV. But it's really a tradeoff between having redundant on-board storage which is speedy and having cost-effective storage capacity available in that type of setup. Our choice to go on-board and not NAS results in lower overall system storage capacities, which, at least as we have designed our hardware mix at this time, means that storage space is really the most premium resource in our systems.

As SSD / Nvme pricing keeps dropping we will surely be adding more and more storage to our nodes over time, at the same price point.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • forcesforces Member
    edited September 2020

@Webdock_io said:

@forces said:

@Webdock_io said: No our plans are not really well suited for that sort of thing and depending on the media it may be in breach of our terms and conditions as we do not allow dissemination of copyrighted material

Ok in that case I think you should be OK. High CPU use will trip monitoring alerts and an engineer will most likely take a look at your server at some point to discern what's going on. This is a service to our customers, really!

too good.

high, as in how many % of cpu usage and for how long?

@Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:

@Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:

I guess you could call it thin provisioning, as seen from our POV. But it's really a tradeoff between having redundant on-board storage which is speedy and having cost-effective storage capacity available in that type of setup. Our choice to go on-board and not NAS results in lower overall system storage capacities, which, at least as we have designed our hardware mix at this time, means that storage space is really the most premium resource in our systems.

As SSD / Nvme pricing keeps dropping we will surely be adding more and more storage to our nodes over time, at the same price point.

erm, it sounds like it is not a good time to subscribe or the update will apply to existing user when time comes?

@forces said:

@Webdock_io said:

@forces said:

too good.

@Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:

@Webdock_io said:

@vimalware said:

erm, it sounds like it is not a good time to subscribe or the update will apply to existing user when time comes?

It's wayy to early to say that - any upgrade like that is not in any way imminent. I was just speaking in general terms. If I were to guess then maybe sometime mid/late next year would see such a major hardware refresh on our end.

We have done auto-upgrades of clients in our past refreshes, but I cannot tell you how it would shake out next time. We try to be nice to our customers, so chances are we will do another free upgrade. Let's see!

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited September 2020

I don't think I can recommend Webdock.io because they really need to work on their terms, marketing, and how they wish to do business.

I took this offer with the SSD Micro server for test (using the coupon with $10 free). I therefore deployed a small server from to the following image. Bandwidth is underlined because that expression ("Yes really") caught my eye.

To test the server in uptime and performance, and the unlimited bandwidth, I deployed a Tor relay node, according to instructions provided on LEB. Please note this is Tor relay, not exit.

After just 2 days and 16 hours I get the following email message from Webdock, regarding that unlimited bandwidth, with notification for termination in 24 hours ("Yes, really").

Hello

He have detected high Network usage on your server

We have determined you are running a Tor node which is consuming a lot of traffic. This is in breach of our fair use policy. We may consider letting you run this Tor node if you scale up your server to either a Pro or Premium profile, as then the resource allocation is more in-line with your current usage. Read more here:

https://webdock.io/en/docs/webdock/billing-pricing#what-we-mean-by-legitimate-and-above-board-purposes-w/regards-to-bandwidth-overage

Please modify your server profile or reply within 24 hours or we will have to suspend your server.

Kind Regards
    Your Webdock team

Curious what bothered them so much, I visited the link provided where it states:

We have for a long time now had a truly free traffic policy with no bandwidth overage charges. This is really meant to alleviate any concerns a regular web hosting customers might have.

We want to get rid of arbitrary bandwidth limits and onerous overage charges. You should not have to worry about if you use 100, 200 GiB or even 1 TiB of bandwidth if your website is really popular.

However we have seen and have gotten requests from potential clients which wanted to use our services with the explicit purpose of taking advantage of this policy. I.e. not really hosting anything on our servers, but rather using them to ingest and/or broadcast vast amounts of data on the order of Terabytes/month. Webdock is really not designed for this, and as we do in fact pay for bandwidth in our datacenters this is not something which works for us and can gunk up the works for everybody else on our infrastructure.

For that reason, if you are in doubt whether your high-bandwidth workload is something we will allow, please be in touch with support where you describe your workload in as much detail as you can and we will give you a clear answer.

However, my VPS did not even get close to the rule of 1TB (from Unlimited). Their VPS panel clearly shows:

while VNstat shows:

month        rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
       2020-09    205.34 GiB |  169.73 GiB |  375.07 GiB |    2.56 Mbit/s
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
     estimated    423.52 GiB |  350.08 GiB |  773.60 GiB |

As per their rules, and free $10 credit, I can recommend them for hosting just a website on a VPS, with maybe 1TB bandwidh (not to be confused with Unlimited when ordering, or 5TB warning displayed in VPS panel); and that's about it, because this 1TB limit is clearly specified in their terms.

My personal opinion: do not get attracted by the "Unlimited" aspect of Webdock. "Yes, really" dont! Read their terms first.

• @default said: As per their rules, and free $10 credit, I can recommend them for hosting just a website on a VPS, with maybe 1TB bandwidh (not to be confused with Unlimited when ordering, or 5TB warning displayed in VPS panel); and that's about it, because this 1TB limit is clearly specified in their terms.

My personal opinion: do not get attracted by the "Unlimited" aspect of Webdock. "Yes, really" dont! Read their terms first.

tor is forbidden in their TnC. however, since you already did the testing, why not try pushing their bandwidth with other measure that isnt listed clearly in their TnC see if the same warning was received? good way to try our new provider so each user can match with the right provider. i am trying to do the same testing. from my end, the experience is awesome.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Webdock_io said: Interesting :) Well, the only way we could get you access is if we contracted out some work on our racks to you guys. Not out of the realm of possibility. Can you PM me as I am interested in hearing about your storage solution. AFAIK no storage - even Nvme over fabric - can ever compete with on-board PCIE lanes ...

Sending you a PM.

Agree, directly attached storage is the best way to go.

• WEBDOCK is a thief, they let you register with a credit card to deduct 1 EURO then they never return it back... I tried them once with 2 kind of VPS then after I spent 3 EUROS and one VPS was used for 1 hour...

• larmaratlarmarat Member
    edited September 2020

@holysoldier said:
    WEBDOCK is a thief, they let you register with a credit card to deduct 1 EURO then they never return it back... I tried them once with 2 kind of VPS then after I spent 3 EUROS and one VPS was used for 1 hour...

It's pretty normal for companies to bill you a small fee and then return it back. This is what happened to me instantly with webdock.

I would expect the problem to be with your card issuer.

As for your other billing issue, have you contacted support? Or at least the billing page on the site, which displays where you have spent money?

I spun up a few VPS (although for less for a day), and still have my full 10 euro credit.

@holysoldier said:
    WEBDOCK is a thief, they let you register with a credit card to deduct 1 EURO then they never return it back... I tried them once with 2 kind of VPS then after I spent 3 EUROS and one VPS was used for 1 hour...

Hello :) We are sorry you got this impression, but as larmarat mentioned we instantly refund the 1 Euro anti-fraud check fee and we always refund all unused compute time directly and immediately to your credit card down to the day.

If you could pm me your account name/email then I can dig into your account and/or Stripe and see if any shenangans happened here, but you can also under Account -> Billing in Webdock always see exactly what's happening.

If you feel there is a hold on your credit card for those funds, then possibly you are using a debit-like card which freezes those charges for some days before they become available again - but we can check with Stripe if you like.

For your information, if you have just tested and spun up servers and/or used our credit coupon, then we have actually spent money on having you test, as we also pay a small fee to Stripe on our 1 Euro anti fraud check :) (not to mention the compute time you have used)

So yeah - I would say it's a bit much to call us thieves, really :O)

@default said:
    I don't think I can recommend Webdock.io because they really need to work on their terms, marketing, and how they wish to do business.

It all depends on the eyes that see. Essentially what happened here was that we have more aggressive internal warning thresholds for our smaller server profiles, as if you had continued to use bandwidth at that rate you would have neared 2TB for a monthly window, which is enough to throw up a red flag.

Then a routine inspection revealed you were using Tor which is in a bit of a gray area for us, but something which falls under "sustained heavy use" for a purpose Webdock wasn't really designed for.

As your usage would "only" have been about 2TB with the usage we saw, we recommended you scale up your server in our email to you as then we would have allowed this use. So here it was mostly a cost/benefit ratio which triggered that mail to you.

It's maybe a bit sad, but as with many things in life, it all comes down to money, really

@forces said:

Re-reading posts here I realize I forgot to answer this, sorry about that @forces - anyway, we have fairly low thresholds for internal warning for new servers and as those get triggered we check what's happening and if it's normal use, then we allow higher and higher limits, as there is no need to have an engineer look into a server with high CPU use which is doing something completely above-board and legitimate all the time :)

So I can't give you an exact number - I think our starting threshold for our smallest profiles is something like 2000 CPU seconds per 30min window - something like that, if I remember correctly.

TBH high CPU use is, probably in about 70% of cases we see, an indication of a hack or other nefarious shenanigans

• @Webdock_io said:

@default said:

It all depends on the eyes that see. Essentially what happened here was that we have more aggressive internal warning thresholds for our smaller server profiles, as if you had continued to use bandwidth at that rate you would have neared 2TB for a monthly window, which is enough to throw up a red flag.

Then a routine inspection revealed you were using Tor which is in a bit of a gray area for us, but something which falls under "sustained heavy use" for a purpose Webdock wasn't really designed for.

As your usage would "only" have been about 2TB with the usage we saw, we recommended you scale up your server in our email to you as then we would have allowed this use. So here it was mostly a cost/benefit ratio which triggered that mail to you.

It's maybe a bit sad, but as with many things in life, it all comes down to money, really

Your website states "UNLIMITED, YES, REALLY".

Notification was triggered at 375GB according to vnstat, not 2TB. Usage was not "neared 2TB" at all.

This is an unacceptable marketing stunt. It's a lie. And do not even dare to call Tor in a gray area, as it was an relay (not exit). I did not (and will not) abuse any services.

I do appreciate the free credit. It allowed me to see this sad picture. It's not sad because of money, it's sad because of lies on website, enforced by "yes really" to underline the expression "unlimited bandwidth" regarding a small VPS. Website should clearly state: 2TB bandwidth according to your own reply. I do not care about money, but truth. I want the truth!

• @Webdock_io said:

@forces said:

Re-reading posts here I realize I forgot to answer this, sorry about that @forces - anyway, we have fairly low thresholds for internal warning for new servers and as those get triggered we check what's happening and if it's normal use, then we allow higher and higher limits, as there is no need to have an engineer look into a server with high CPU use which is doing something completely above-board and legitimate all the time :)

So I can't give you an exact number - I think our starting threshold for our smallest profiles is something like 2000 CPU seconds per 30min window - something like that, if I remember correctly.

TBH high CPU use is, probably in about 70% of cases we see, an indication of a hack or other nefarious shenanigans

2000 across 6 cores?

@forces said:

@Webdock_io said:

@forces said:

2000 across 6 cores?

Yes that's right. 2K would be about 100% use of 1 core sustained by my reckoning. So yeah, a very low limit before we do an initial review - but that's in place in order to catch bad things from getting out of hand, really.

@default said: t. It's a lie. And do not even dare to call Tor in a gray area, as it was an relay (not exit). I did not (and will not) abuse any services.

I am sorry we gave you such a bad impression. The alert was triggered internally, as explained, as it was high usage as seen on a daily level. We need to have that sort of granularity in our alerts, as if we only checked monthly then malicious users could get away with all sorts of shenanigans for a very long time.

I'm not sure how you can get so upset about this as we gave you a proper explanation and offered to let you stay if you upgraded your profile.

I guess it's the eyes that see, in this case. We do not deceive our customers and are quite up-front with explaining our fair use policy and terms of service. If anything, this is a failure of understanding on your part, if I am to voice an opinion.

Anyway, thanks for trying us out and your comments have been noted. I think we will put in a direct link to what we mean by unlimited traffic on our profiles (which is in fact, unlimited given you use the platform as designed) - or potentially have a think about possibly setting a hard limit of 1TB for our smallest profile. It's not something we want to do, but we may have to in order to avoid upsetting anybody :)

• @Webdock_io said:

@default said: t. It's a lie. And do not even dare to call Tor in a gray area, as it was an relay (not exit). I did not (and will not) abuse any services.

I am sorry we gave you such a bad impression. The alert was triggered internally, as explained, as it was high usage as seen on a daily level. We need to have that sort of granularity in our alerts, as if we only checked monthly then malicious users could get away with all sorts of shenanigans for a very long time.

I'm not sure how you can get so upset about this as we gave you a proper explanation and offered to let you stay if you upgraded your profile.

I guess it's the eyes that see, in this case. We do not deceive our customers and are quite up-front with explaining our fair use policy and terms of service. If anything, this is a failure of understanding on your part, if I am to voice an opinion.

Anyway, thanks for trying us out and your comments have been noted. I think we will put in a direct link to what we mean by unlimited traffic on our profiles (which is in fact, unlimited given you use the platform as designed) - or potentially have a think about possibly setting a hard limit of 1TB for our smallest profile. It's not something we want to do, but we may have to in order to avoid upsetting anybody :)

it would be sane to impose a hard limit. however do indicate if the hard limit meant for both up and downlink.

Thanked by 2default Webdock_io

@forces said:

@Webdock_io said:

it would be sane to impose a hard limit. however do indicate if the hard limit meant for both up and downlink.

We will discuss this internally in the coming days and potentially implement this. Our limit would probably only apply to outgoing traffic as that is the only metric which is metered on our infrastructure, so ingestion would be unlimited essentially.

Thank you all for your input here today.!

• @Webdock_io said: if you had continued to use bandwidth at that rate you would have neared 2TB for a monthly window, which is enough to throw up a red flag.

Does this mean "unlimited bandwidth" means 2TB per month?
    Also, this way of monitoring is scaring potential customer away before they even try your service.
    For example, in my use case, my application could consume a lot of bandwidth in one day, but becomes idle for the rest of the month, the typical total monthly consumed bandwidth is between 200GB-5TB.
    If you are using "bandwidth consumption rate per time" then I mostlikely will trigger the warning even if in that one month I only consumed a total of 500GB.

I noticed this way of monitoring bandwidth is the same as another provider Luna Node. I tried their service, and TBH it is not practical for real world use case.

I would suggest either be honest and put a soft/hard limit on the bandwidth usage, or be truly unlimited or "unlimited, but we will give you warning after 5TB usage"

Bandwidth consumption rate per time sucks because you won't have app that consume steady rate of bandwidth

Thanked by 1default
  • @Webdock_io said:

There is still an issue here. You can't advertise 'UNLIMITED' bandwidth, especially '(Yes, really)', when the server cannot even hit 2TB. It is more of a misunderstanding, and also false advertising when you say it has unlimited bandwidth, when it really does not, whether it is Tor or not.
    You really need to change your site.

Thanked by 2default jamuja

@jamuja said:

@Webdock_io said: if you had continued to use bandwidth at that rate you would have neared 2TB for a monthly window, which is enough to throw up a red flag.

No, unlimited means unlimited, as long as you are doing legitimate workloads and not shady shit :)

Also, this way of monitoring is scaring potential customer away before they even try your service.

It would only scare you if you have something to hide / are doing some shenanigans

For example, in my use case, my application could consume a lot of bandwidth in one day, but becomes idle for the rest of the month, the typical total monthly consumed bandwidth is between 200GB-5TB.
    If you are using "bandwidth consumption rate per time" then I mostlikely will trigger the warning even if in that one month I only consumed a total of 500GB.

I noticed this way of monitoring bandwidth is the same as another provider Luna Node. I tried their service, and TBH it is not practical for real world use case.

I would suggest either be honest and put a soft/hard limit on the bandwidth usage, or be truly unlimited or "unlimited, but we will give you warning after 5TB usage"

Bandwidth consumption rate per time sucks because you won't have app that consume steady rate of bandwidth

If we get a warning trigger we always send a mail asking what is up. If your workload is legitimate and you explain you have periodic spikes, well then that would be fine and we would up the warn limit for your server.

Not really a big deal and this sort of alerting / spike checking is absolutely needed to catch bad actors. If you don't like reviews of your VPS, then you should probably look into getting your own bare metal and do whatever you like in that case :)

All these systems are really in place to prevent malicious use and thereby protecting all of our legitimate users who are on the same network and hardware. Besides, most of the time anomalous activity actually helps us discover e.g. hacked Wordpress sites and alert our customers much quicker than they could ever react themselves.

edited September 2020

@jamuja said:

@Webdock_io said: if you had continued to use bandwidth at that rate you would have neared 2TB for a monthly window, which is enough to throw up a red flag.

No, unlimited means unlimited, as long as you are doing legitimate workloads and not shady shit :)

It would only scare you if you have something to hide / are doing some shenanigans

If we get a warning trigger we always send a mail asking what is up. If your workload is legitimate and you explain you have periodic spikes, well then that would be fine and we would up the warn limit for your server.

Not really a big deal and this sort of alerting / spike checking is absolutely needed to catch bad actors. If you don't like reviews of your VPS, then you should probably look into getting your own bare metal and do whatever you like in that case :)

All these systems are really in place to prevent malicious use and thereby protecting all of our legitimate users who are on the same network and hardware. Besides, most of the time anomalous activity actually helps us discover e.g. hacked Wordpress sites and alert our customers much quicker than they could ever react themselves.

@HyperK9 said:

@Webdock_io said:

There is still an issue here. You can't advertise 'UNLIMITED' bandwidth, especially '(Yes, really)', when the server cannot even hit 2TB. It is more of a misunderstanding, and also false advertising when you say it has unlimited bandwidth, when it really does not, whether it is Tor or not.
    You really need to change your site.

It's really tough having to repeat our standpoint here and try to get our point across. You really do have unlimited bandwidth if you are doing legitimate things Webdock is designed for: Websites and legitimate and "normal" web apps.

You are completely missing that our platform is 100% geared towards website hosting, with our LAMP/LEMP stacks and services designed to facilitate an awesome website hosting experience.

If you have the worlds most popular webshop or blog or whatever running on our 4 Euro profile consuming terabytes per month: More power to you buddy! Awesome.

If you on the other hand are just looking to extract as much value as possible for as little money as possible doing shady shit, namely: Tor nodes, Flooding tools, Spam emission, Neural Network training, ingesting/broadcasting copyrighted material, high-volume scraping for "valuable" data such as emails etc. etc. etc.

The list is almost endless of shady shenanigans users get up to - and you know what: We will not allow it. That is not what Webdock is built for or designed to do. That kind of activity is worthless to almost everybody except for the person doing this shady crap, risks IP addresses being banned (the internet is somewhat policed, after all), hogs up resources from our legitimate users (of which we have many) and provides an overhead in workload for our staff when we have to do these kinds of reviews and kick people out - which we hate doing - but if you are being a dick, then that's just how it goes.

• @Webdock_io said: It would only scare you if you have something to hide / are doing some shenanigans

In other words, your customer better encrypt all their app scripts because it is very likely your server administrator snooping around inside the server.

Thanked by 1zenki
  • @Webdock_io said: If your workload is legitimate and you explain you have periodic spikes, well then that would be fine and we would up the warn limit for your server.

Why does your customer have to explain the periodic spike if they are using the server resource within the advertised amount and within ToS ?

Doesnt this imply that the customer is guilty until proven innocent ?